Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
... LastLast
  1. #21
    Mechagnome
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Hertfordshire, England
    Posts
    520
    I think it's more likely they changed the names so that "drunken" didn't start to appear in every Brewmaster skill. I think it's unlikely they changed it because they thought it'd encourage people to drink. It still says "you hurl a keg of your finest brew", afterall, so the skill itself isn't changing.

  2. #22
    Scarab Lord Viridiancity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    IN A PICKLE
    Posts
    4,399
    Quote Originally Posted by Ursafluff View Post

    Why are we allowed to have imagery of mass murder and dismemberment and it's all fine and dandy but any reference to alcohol, WON'T SOMEONE THINK OF THE CHILDREN AND THEIR POOR FRAGILE MINDS!!!
    This argument (And variations therof) would be valid if that didn't entirely overlook all the readily available alcohol in the game, Brewfest (and to lesser extents, every other world event), the Brewmaster title, literally all Dwarven culture, and every other miscellaneous glorification of alcohol in the game.

    ---------- Post added 2012-03-29 at 03:39 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Ximinez View Post
    The Pandaren are responsible for the spread of the monk class ways. It absolutely should be part of every one of them.

    ---------- Post added 2012-03-29 at 04:36 AM ----------

    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/to...0422?page=2#34 WoW forums thread.

    Scarlet Monks have existed since Vanilla, when there was no knowledge of Pandaren culture.

    Granted, they are a more traditional high fantasy style of monk than the more eastern-oriented Pandaren.

    Edit: Also, Draenei (Auchenai) monks in Terokkar.
    Last edited by Viridiancity; 2012-03-29 at 08:41 AM.

  3. #23

  4. #24
    Dreadlord OGXanos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    The Nerdy South
    Posts
    857
    Also as a note the DPS class resource regen ability is also a alcoholic (wine). Only the healer one is not (tea).

  5. #25
    Herald of the Titans Mighty Blue Bear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,758
    Quote Originally Posted by Validity View Post
    This argument (And variations therof) would be valid if that didn't entirely overlook all the readily available alcohol in the game, Brewfest (and to lesser extents, every other world event), the Brewmaster title, literally all Dwarven culture, and every other miscellaneous glorification of alcohol in the game.
    Pandaren>Dwarves in alcohol consumption and production.

    Also, my Pandaren Monk will buy a drink for any Dwarven Monk he meets in game.

  6. #26
    Herald of the Titans Hanto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Florida!
    Posts
    2,999
    This reminds me of the feral talent "Blood in the Water" being renamed to that from the previous "Omnomnom" (or "Nomnomnom", one of those). :[ Takes all of the fun out of it.

  7. #27
    Are you fucking kidding me?

    "Elusive Stance"

    What the hell does that even mean? You're rare and hidden? Drunken Brawler is actually real.

    ---------- Post added 2012-03-29 at 04:42 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Validity View Post

    Scarlet Monks have existed since Vanilla, when there was no knowledge of Pandaren culture.

    Granted, they are a more traditional high fantasy style of monk than the more eastern-oriented Pandaren.

    Edit: Also, Draenei (Auchenai) monks in Terokkar.
    Are you serious? You think there was "no knowledge" of Pandaren brew in Vanilla?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gaq62VCcnew
    Nevar 4get Exarch Cyn.
    The Horde and The Alliance haven't changed since Warcraft 2. Pandaren are the first true change to either faction for 12 years.

  8. #28
    Scarab Lord Viridiancity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    IN A PICKLE
    Posts
    4,399
    Quote Originally Posted by Grugmuc View Post
    Pandaren>Dwarves in alcohol consumption and production.
    This still does not validate the argument that alcoholic references in Monk abilities is because the developers are trying to 'child-friendly' the game-- regardless of one's individual support for that claim.

  9. #29
    Dreadlord OGXanos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    The Nerdy South
    Posts
    857
    Quote Originally Posted by Validity View Post

    Scarlet Monks have existed since Vanilla, when there was no knowledge of Pandaren culture.

    Granted, they are a more traditional high fantasy style of monk than the more eastern-oriented Pandaren.

    Edit: Also, Draenei (Auchenai) monks in Terokkar.
    yes they were holy monks not eastern style pandaria taught monks. Your argument is confusing, it lacks...validity.

  10. #30
    Scarab Lord Viridiancity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    IN A PICKLE
    Posts
    4,399
    Quote Originally Posted by LordRayken View Post
    Are you serious? You think there was "no knowledge" of Pandaren brew in Vanilla?
    Well, there was, like, one Pandaren that had been seen (lorewise) in, what, ten thousand years? Stormstout may have been a prolific brewer, but he certainly didn't teach the Scarlets the way of the monk.

    And especially not the Auchenai (At the time, on another unreachable planet, and also murderously aggressive.)

  11. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by Validity View Post
    Well, there was, like, one Pandaren that had been seen (lorewise) in, what, ten thousand years? Stormstout may have been a prolific brewer, but he certainly didn't teach the Scarlets the way of the monk.

    And especially not the Auchenai (At the time, on another unreachable planet, and also murderously aggressive.)
    Lorewise the Brewmasters were mystical. There were a few others in lore, and they were known for travelling throughout the world gathering ingredients for more brews. They were known to boost your strength, stamina, and buff you up when you drank them.

    This is a super abridged version, but your argument to take Brewmaster out of Monk might as well be the silliest thing I've ever heard. The Brewmaster is one variety of Monk, just like the Mistweaver and Windwalker. You argue there are other Monks in the game, but lorewise, they could have simply been the Mistweavers or Windwalkers, like the Scarlet Monks and Auchenai Monks. They were DPS monks, afterall.

    You need to make sure you understand the Brewmaster is not just "drunk asshole" but empowered by his brews.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gaq62VCcnew
    Nevar 4get Exarch Cyn.
    The Horde and The Alliance haven't changed since Warcraft 2. Pandaren are the first true change to either faction for 12 years.

  12. #32
    Scarab Lord Viridiancity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    IN A PICKLE
    Posts
    4,399
    Quote Originally Posted by Ximinez View Post
    yes they were holy monks not eastern style pandaria taught monks. Your argument is confusing, it lacks...validity.
    I see what you did there.

  13. #33
    Dreadlord OGXanos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    The Nerdy South
    Posts
    857
    Quote Originally Posted by Validity View Post
    I see what you did there.
    and it worked. But seriously you can fight the lore with some form of RP all you want but player character monks are of the Pandaren school of teachings. No other. Monks like to drink, thats just how they wrote it.

  14. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by Validity View Post
    Please take the brew out of Brewmaster.

    As far as WoW's Monks go, the Windwalker and Mistweaver are specs based around being a badass fighter using spirits of shadow and mist to enhance their and their allies abilities. Meanwhile, Brewmaster is just some drunk asshole.

    Yes, it makes 100% sense for Pandaren, but there's 8 other races that can be Monks, huh?

    I would prefer that all monks be about combat and skill, as opposed to it being "Total badass", "Total badass", and "Drunk dude". As it stands, if the aesthetics of Monk Tanking continues to be Brewmaster, I will not tank on my future Draenei Monk.

    Edit: But then again, my opinion is statistically insignificant and nobody here really cares if I don't tank on my monk, amirite?
    But they're clearly emulating kung-fu styles, which includes zui quan - drunken fist (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zui_Quan) so it makes perfect sense.

    If you've ever seen a martial arts film with zui quan included the guy is usually carrying booze and sloshing it around all over the place =p

  15. #35
    CALL IT DRUNKEN! MAKE IT SO! Sorry for caps but I do approve of this thread!
    Going to McDonalds for a salad is like going to a brothel for a hug.

  16. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by Validity View Post
    This argument (And variations therof) would be valid if that didn't entirely overlook all the readily available alcohol in the game, Brewfest (and to lesser extents, every other world event), the Brewmaster title, literally all Dwarven culture, and every other miscellaneous glorification of alcohol in the game.
    Then why come up with this ridiculous renaming? It's completely uncalled for, changing something that has such a core meaning to the abilities and spec as a whole just baffles me.

    It's like if they started renaming things like 'Holy Light' to 'Magical Invisible Bandage' because HL was seen as offensive by blind atheists...

  17. #37
    Fluffy Kitten Taurenburger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    3,053
    Quote Originally Posted by Ximinez View Post
    The Pandaren are responsible for the spread of the monk class ways. It absolutely should be part of every one of them.
    *wise and old Pandaren voice* To protect your allies from harm, it is advisable to drink. No, not advisable, it is pretty much required. Go in to battle and your only thought should be "Should I have drank more than these 20 alcoholic beverages to succeed?".

    Anyways, it´s a shame that they took away the drunken part of the skills. It really fits the BREWmaster, cause if you make it you´ll taste it...
    Lord protector of the Veal

    Pokemon Y / Pokemon OR
    Friendcode: 0791-2124-3938 (IGN: Michiel)
    Friendsafari: Magneton, Forretress, Bronzong

  18. #38
    How can you have a spec called Brewmasters and re-name the abilities something that has less to do with brew? That is like making a spec called Hashmaster that is based around weed and then re-naming the abilities to something that has less to do with it... why make the spec called that in the first place?

    They should think about changing the names back in my opinion.

  19. #39
    Scarab Lord Viridiancity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    IN A PICKLE
    Posts
    4,399
    Quote Originally Posted by nyc81991 View Post
    How can you have a spec called Brewmasters and re-name the abilities something that has less to do with brew? That is like making a spec called Hashmaster that is based around weed and then re-naming the abilities to something that has less to do with it... why make the spec called that in the first place?

    They should think about changing the names back in my opinion.
    Good point. I hope they rename it from Brewmaster to something less idiotic.

  20. #40
    Herald of the Titans Mighty Blue Bear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,758
    Quote Originally Posted by Validity View Post
    This still does not validate the argument that alcoholic references in Monk abilities is because the developers are trying to 'child-friendly' the game-- regardless of one's individual support for that claim.
    I don't know why the hell they're trying to be child friendly. Most kids should know generally what alcohol is. And I personally don't know any children playing this game, and have never met one under the age of 12. He was an old guildy, and a damn good healer. Funniest thing was, he acted more mature and with-it than the adults in the guild. There is no reason in making WoW "child friendly" game at all.

    Quote Originally Posted by Validity View Post
    Good point. I hope they rename it from Brewmaster to something less idiotic.
    Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •