best current pve spec

whats the best pve spec in terms of damage metar

Deleted
    That depends on the fight, it's not just straight and simple as you want it to be. Different specs shine on different fights, but honestly any Warlock spec does very well overall. My personal choice is Affliction.

If you want to be competitive you will be switching on fights in order to do "best" which is worse than hybrids with 1 single DPS spec because of the warlock class tax.

1. Morchok - Destro (this is easy enough that anything works)
    2. Zon'ozz - Affliction / Demo
    3. Yor'sahj - Demo / Affliction
    4. Hagara - Destro / Demo (all three are shit. prepare to lose to "tank" and "healer" classes. but the fight is easy)
    5. Ultraxion - Demo / Destro (prepare to lose to "tank" classes, aka arms warriors)
    6. Blackhorn - Affliction / Destro (prepare to lose to "healer" classes, aka shadow priests)
    7. Spine - Demo is shit and will lose to every class except enhance/resto shaman. Affliction is good to get carried by "tank" and "healer" DPS. Destro is even shitter
    8. Madness - Affliction

Verdict: If you have 1 spec, go demo. If you have 2 specs, go affliction and demo. If you top the meters it means its time to leave your guild, since it means you far outclass anyone else in terms of ability.

Quote Originally Posted by Inactivity View Post
    Verdict: If you have 1 spec, go demo. If you have 2 specs, go affliction and demo. If you top the meters it means its time to leave your guild, since it means you far outclass anyone else in terms of ability.
    I would respectfully disagree. It depends on whether or not you have the 10% spellpower buff from another source already present, and your personal ability. Affliction and destro are pretty much even in all aspects save for Zon'ozz just because of the nature of how his stacking debuff interacts with affliction's execute. Even then, I don't have any trouble doing 65k+ on Zon'ozz without the legendary, so any spec is viable there, too. I'm also confused what you mean by "healer" and "tank" dps. Makes no sense. The only reason warriors do so well on Ultraxion is the fact they get nigh unlimited rage from all the damage going out. Demo isn't bad on spine - I don't have problems doing 1.2+ million per burn phase. If that isn't viable then you're sadly misinformed.

Finally, if you're topping meters, it doesn't mean it's time to find a new guild. Warlocks are a perfectly competitive class, and if you're playing close to your full potential, there's an excellent chance you should be topping meters, unless you have a crappy fire mage or legendary rogue in your group.

Also, there is no "warlock class tax." Please elaborate on what you are trying to imply by saying this.

tl;dr play whatever spec you want, they're all perfectly viable (except heroic spine - go demo for that :P)

edit: see http://raidbots.com/dpsbot/Overall_D...60/default/#1o for a warlock-only average dps comparison
    Last edited by gakpad; 2012-03-29 at 05:03 PM.

I would respectfully disagree. It depends on whether or not you have the 10% spellpower buff from another source already present, and your personal ability.
    If you had to pick one spec, Demo is not (totally) gimp for spine and is acceptable for every other fight (progression standpoint). Affli and destro are good for every other fight but for progression are unacceptable for spine.

Hence if you had to pick one spec, go Demo.

Affliction and destro are pretty much even in all aspects save for Zon'ozz just because of the nature of how his stacking debuff interacts with affliction's execute.
    Affliction versus destro is more of a personal thing, although pretty much I think the rule that anything destro does, affli does better holds. To be fair, between those two its prety much personal choice but I'd still highly recommend Demo spec.

'm also confused what you mean by "healer" and "tank" dps.
    Making a crack against people who think there's a "hybrid tax"

there's an excellent chance you should be topping meters, unless you have a crappy fire mage or legendary rogue in your group.
    In other words, since most likely you will have a shadow priest, fire mage, or rogue in your group, if you are outperforming consistently it means they are bad, period. A good mage/rogue will always beat a good warlock easily unless they are poor at playing their own class, which means you need a new guild.

[edit]

Quote Originally Posted by gakpad View Post
    edit: see http://raidbots.com/dpsbot/Overall_D...60/default/#1o for a warlock-only average dps comparison
    The only reason Destro comes on top for average is because it does better on Morchok and Hagara, the two most useless fights from progression standpoint in 25H. If you look in fights which are likely to be progression, affli and demo come out on top.

If you exclude hagara and morchok, the specs are still within 2% of each other. Herp derp. You're quite the opinionated feller, huh? Our specs are pretty much dead even, barring the 10% spellpower buff. You're able to comfortably pick whichever spec you like more 90% of the time.
    Last edited by gakpad; 2012-03-29 at 05:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gakpad View Post
    If you exclude hagara and morchok, the specs are still within 2% of each other. Herp derp. You're quite the opinionated feller, huh? Our specs are pretty much dead even, barring the 10% spellpower buff. You're able to comfortably pick whichever spec you like more 90% of the time.
    I've posted this many times that most specs are approximately equal, and bad as compared to the effort and competition out there. People who think that we are fine or worse, need nerfing, are what really drive me nuts. DS is about ready to make me switch mains for MOP, and the latest changes aren't looking promising. (more reasons than just that, but being bad in DS was pretty much the last straw for me). I'd much rather have a standout spec (T11) then 3 equally mediocre ones.

And personally I think affliction is more useful from a progression standpoint on Zon'ozz (you are not sitting on the boss for progression), Yor'sahj (more consistency than Demo even if less damage), and Blackhorn (more useful execute DPS on blackhorn when he has high vengeance, better multidot capabilities, more mobility). Same deal for madness (increased spellweave, increased mobility). But in reality you can pick between the two, the destro lock in my guild does really well.

[edit]

Not to mention, I think affliction is better for progression also due to its self-heals in Madness, Zon'ozz, Blackhorn, and Yor'sahj. It helps the healers out and reduces pressure quite a bit. While destruction has Nether Ward, Nether Ward is mainly more useful for predictable situations; often situations where there are already cooldowns and healing available. Having the sustainable self-heals in my opinion adds so much more on those fights.
    Last edited by Inactivity; 2012-03-29 at 05:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Inactivity View Post
    I've posted this many times that most specs are approximately equal, and bad as compared to the effort and competition out there. People who think that we are fine or worse, need nerfing, are what really drive me nuts. DS is about ready to make me switch mains for MOP, and the latest changes aren't looking promising. (more reasons than just that, but being bad in DS was pretty much the last straw for me). I'd much rather have a standout spec (T11) then 3 equally mediocre ones.

And personally I think affliction is more useful from a progression standpoint on Zon'ozz (you are not sitting on the boss for progression), Yor'sahj (more consistency than Demo even if less damage), and Blackhorn (more useful execute DPS on blackhorn when he has high vengeance, better multidot capabilities, more mobility). Same deal for madness (increased spellweave, increased mobility). But in reality you can pick between the two, the destro lock in my guild does really well.
    I doth agree completely.