Thread: GW2 content

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Larynx View Post
    With the approach Blizzard is taking to level nowadays, yeah it actually is obsolete. Especially since you can auto level to 80. It's a very poor design choice, IMO. So much wasted time and resources.
    Again what i am saying if i have experienced the content from start it doesn't make it obsolete because some new player cant play it now. It would make it obsolete for him, but not me.
    I like to play the devil's advocate on this forum when I am bored

Quote Originally Posted by solidsheep View Post
    Again what i am saying if i have experienced the content from start it doesn't make it obsolete because some new player cant play it now. It would make it obsolete for him, but not me.
    Good luck getting 40 geared level 60s to run Molten Core then.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's "obsolete" because older content is Trivialized and you don't, or at least didn't until transmutation stones.. err... I mean transmorgrification, get anything truly worthwhile from running Kara or Molten Core as a level 80/ 85.
    Quote Originally Posted by SW:TOR
    Jokerseven - Kinetic Combat Shadow - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Ce'lia - Combat Sentinel - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Sentinel PVE Basics for the two Specs that matter

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blznsmri View Post
    It's "obsolete" because older content is Trivialized
    ^this.

It's obsolete because you can't go back and experience it again, at least not in the glory that it once had. Not because nobody experiences it at all.

The point being that you could ALWAYS go back to Ascalonian Catacombs... be scaled to level 30...
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Deleted
    I think it's an exaggeration. I'm pretty sure GW2 is about the size of Azeroth+Outland though, and that's without the Crystal Desert, the places north of Kryta, the Wastes, and the other two continents that were in Gw.
    This is probably the closest to the truth although i wouldnt be surprised if its closer to just Azeroth without Outland. The area around Divinitys Reach (the human 1-15 zone) was comparable to Elwynn Forest (probably slightly bigger). It definately had a lot more 'content' happening than Elwynn forest though.

I am not to sure how 'the entire game is end-game' is going to play out though. Just because you can do any of the lower level content at higher levels doesnt mean your actually going to want to go and repeat stuff for no reason. By that rationale if Blizzard made every quest repeatable and gave some valor points as a reward for redoing them then the entire of WoW would instantly become end-game.

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    ^this.

It's obsolete because you can't go back and experience it again. Not because nobody experiences it.
    Thus wasted content and resources.
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

I have always found the way Blizzard handled content to be baffling. What is the point of having 7 years worth of content when the only content that matters is the most current patch? Blizzard's release of content is in no way keeping up with the rate that they make content obsolete.

Guild War's 2 has been the way I wanted an MMO to be handled for years. I never enjoyed the aspect of continuously over leveling and out gearing content. It drives me crazy that every single time a new raid comes out all that gear I got becomes obsolete.

Will Guild War's 2 have as much available content as WOW... absolutely not. However, it seems that it will have more relevant content, which to me is far better then have years worth of obsolete content.

Quote Originally Posted by Tannaya View Post
    By that rationale if Blizzard made every quest repeatable and gave some valor points as a reward for redoing them then the entire of WoW would instantly become end-game.
    People apply that to everything in the game, but really I think it only applies to meta events and instanced combat. The "leveling" content isn't really going to be a stable for most people realistically.

Of course, my opinion could change when I actually play it for myself.

If blizzard wants to make more players come back they need to have both a dungeon and raid scaling system in MoP so that when a level 90 wants to go do molten core he and 10 of his buddies will have to form a group and get scaled down to 60 once they enter the dungeon. The dungeon vendor then gives them each a lvl 60 set of armor which if they complete the dungeon in the set of armor they get a challenge bonus and get special tokens to spend on MC Themed level 90 weapons. Then everyone and their mothers will want to run old dungeons and old raids to get these cool/new/old/epic/looking/pieces.

It's not an odd argument at all. Consider what would happen if you put 7 years worth of playing into GW2. In all those 7 years, not a SINGLE part of GW2 is irrelevant.

Now imagine what would happen if you could say the same thing about WoW. Imagine having to grab 24 level 85 players to get a chance at Invincible, instead of looking back at ICC and going "Oh yeah, let's get 4 people and go faceroll it for a chance at Invincible!"

Big difference, don't you think? Yeah, not all GW2 content will be raid-level hard, but all the challenging content that is challenging at launch, will likely still be challenging 3 expansions down the road, because you will be scaled to it's level, and you won't have 10 extra skills that you didn't have back then.
    You might have an entirely new build and selection of skills and weapons, but you'll still only have 10 abilities, (without considering other things).
    Yes i agree with you if gw2 was 7 years old and a new player started play wow and gw2 he would have more content with gw2.
    My point is if you have played wow from vanilla to present, gw2 is playing catch up content wise for that player.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeek Daniels View Post
    If blizzard wants to make more players come back they need to have both a dungeon and raid scaling system in MoP so that when a level 90 wants to go do molten core he and 10 of his buddies will have to form a group and get scaled down to 60 once they enter the dungeon. The dungeon vendor then gives them each a lvl 60 set of armor which if they complete the dungeon in the set of armor they get a challenge bonus and get special tokens to spend on MC Themed level 90 weapons. Then everyone and their mothers will want to run old dungeons and old raids to get these cool/new/old/epic/looking/pieces.
    I think (don't quote) blizzard already released a statement about this and saying you would feel less powerful and less progressed, which is a cop out excuse imo

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tannaya View Post
    I am not to sure how 'the entire game is end-game' is going to play out though. Just because you can do any of the lower level content at higher levels doesnt mean your actually going to want to go and repeat stuff for no reason. By that rationale if Blizzard made every quest repeatable and gave some valor points as a reward for redoing them then the entire of WoW would instantly become end-game.
    I think the major difference is that WoW doesn't scale your character down to the appropriate level range for the area.
    Quote Originally Posted by SW:TOR
    Jokerseven - Kinetic Combat Shadow - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Ce'lia - Combat Sentinel - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Sentinel PVE Basics for the two Specs that matter

People apply that to everything in the game, but really I think it only applies to meta events and instanced combat. The "leveling" content isn't really going to be a stable for most people realistically.

Of course, my opinion could change when I actually play it for myself.
    Well, since events could appear and change in directions you haven't seen before, I'd say it's possible to be level 80 and travel to a level 25 zone.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstorm View Post
    Well, since events could appear and change in directions you haven't seen before, I'd say it's possible to be level 80 and travel to a level 25 zone.
    The way I basically see it is this, in a simplified version:

Instead of talking to a guy to Kill X Kobolds, you encounter the mine and help out the local farmer by killing the kobolds. And instead of only one outcome, if the kobolds manage to say... destroy the farm before you kill enough then a new "quest" will open up. If you succeed, however, the farmer will say "thanks", and maybe something else will happen like helping the farmer pick berries or something.

Ignoring the exclamation point part of the equation, the only difference is multiple outcomes. I guess that could be engaging, but if at it's core the system is still "Kill X, collect X, ect." then it's not going to be something I'll have an urge to do. Like how even though I've never done Twilight Highlands, I'll never do a single quest in that zone.

For leveling to 80, it'll be definitely far more enjoyable than any other MMO. Especially with the personal story and all that, though.

10+ Year Old Account
    gw2 is playing catch up content wise for that player.
    By that logic, WoW is still playing "catch-up" to EverQuest, and every fantasy book ever written. O_o
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Blznsmri View Post
    It's "obsolete" because older content is Trivialized and you don't, or at least didn't until transmutation stones.. err... I mean transmorgrification, get anything truly worthwhile from running Kara or Molten Core as a level 80/ 85.
    Ya but kinda based on the player's play-style i have only ever played 3 games twice(MGS,FF8,Uncharted2) if wow had retro server and brand new content i'd never touch the old stuff.

The way I basically see it is this, in a simplified version:

Instead of talking to a guy to Kill X Kobolds, you encounter the mine and help out the local farmer by killing the kobolds. And instead of only one outcome, if the kobolds manage to say... destroy the farm before you kill enough then a new "quest" will open up. If you succeed, however, the farmer will say "thanks", and maybe something else will happen like helping the farmer pick berries or something.

Ignoring the exclamation point part of the equation, the only difference is multiple outcomes. I guess that could be engaging, but if at it's core the system is still "Kill X, collect X, ect." then it's not going to be something I'll have an urge to do. Like how even though I've never done Twilight Highlands, I'll never do a single quest in that zone.

For leveling to 80, it'll be definitely far more enjoyable than any other MMO. Especially with the personal story and all that, though.
    If you are only comparing the objectives of DE to quest then yes you have a point, the only difference is that if you fail you get a branch off DE.

However if we go deeper, the combat system for instance, it is much better.

Ya but kinda based on the player's play-style i have only ever played 3 games twice(MGS,FF8,Uncharted2) if wow had retro server and brand new content i'd never touch the old stuff.
    since blizzards new content only last about 2 weeks and they expect it to last 4-6 months between major patches, I'll bet my feet that you will run old stuff.

10+ Year Old Account
    Like how even though I've never done Twilight Highlands, I'll never do a single quest in that zone.
    Dude, that was the best of all the new zones....

Yes i agree with you if gw2 was 7 years old and a new player started play wow and gw2 he would have more content with gw2.
    My point is if you have played wow from vanilla to present, gw2 is playing catch up content wise for that player.
    Sort of. But you can't really look at a game that includes content with planned obsolescence in mind and compare it with a game that works to keep all content relevant. That's like trying to compare the content that you get in an RPG to the content you get in an online shooter. They're very different methods of content design and delivery.

Dude, that was the best of all the new zones....
    I liked Vashj'ir more.

It was actually really beautiful.