Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Have you read The Hobbit? Do it now if you haven't, it's one of the best epics ever written. Then read the Lord of the Rings trilogy right after.

Also Ender's Game, and books following it such as Ender's Shadow or Speaker of the Dead (doesn't matter which you read first they branch off from Ender's Game) are also amazing books.

Those are my favorite Fantasy and Sci-fi book series right there, and I know a lot of people are the same with that. Those two series will make the Harry Potter series look mediocre and the Twilight series look like a pile off crap, no offense to those books they are welly written (maybe not Twilight, it is more on the mediocre line), but still.

Seriously read some Tolkien books, Tolkien is one of the best writers from the last 100 years.

The Mistborn series by Brandon Sanderson is good.
    ==========
    What We Do In Life, Echoes In Eternity

10+ Year Old Account
    There is a relatively new author in the fantasy scene called Patrick Rothfuss. After you've checked out ASoIaF, Wheel of Time, Ender's Game and most other things mentioned in this thread, go get his debut called "The Name of the Wind". This is high-octane fantasy with tons of creativity, humor and badassery. Rothfuss is a storyteller, not just a writer.

If you want to venture outside the usual western-medieval fantasy, there is a series called Tales of the Otori, and it happens in a world inspired by feudal Japan. I just found these books last month, but I am hooked!

In between the bigger projects, read any Terry Pratchett book.

Also, L.E. Modesitt jr.'s Imager books are awesome, and his other books are quite good as well. Some people enjoy Robin Hobb/Megan Lindholm, others do not, so just pick any trilogy by her and see for yourself. The first Riftwar books by Raymond E. Feist are also must-reads in my non.humble opinion. Preferrably the Author's Preferred Edition of Magician.

And I may edit this post as soon as I've been to the library to write down all the author names I've forgotten :P
    If you add me on Steam, Skype or whatever program/client I share my info for, please write something to identify you in the "Dude/gal wants to join your club"-message. Just so I know that an actual human is on the other end :P

Deleted
    Anything by terry pratchett, and all of the hitchhikers guide to the galaxy (even part six which was written after Douglas Adams past away)!

10+ Year Old Account
    As mentioned plenty of times before, A Song of Ice and Fire series by George R. R. Martin, The Hobbit + Lord of the Rings by J. R. R. Tolkien, The Dark Tower series by Stephen King. Also the Vampire Chronicles by Anne Rice is really good.

Quote Originally Posted by emidas View Post
    A Song of Ice and Fire series. It's what the show Game of Thrones is based on. It's absolutely incredible.
    currently waist deep in hours-spent in the series myself. Metaphorically...

also chewing through the entire Discworld series by Terry Pratchett (my FAVORITE author btw... does a lot of humor, in the fantasy setting [see my sig for two of my fav quotes])
    Good Omens by neil gaimen and pratchett was great.
    He's got a new one coming out soon called the Long Earth. Alternate realities in that one.

If you're into rock stars or just want something fun to chew on, consider I Am Ozzy, Ozzy osbourne's autobio. Some interesting stuff in there; he's actually a really nice guy.
    Last edited by sivenom; 2012-03-31 at 05:16 AM.
    "Some humans would do anything to see if it was possible to do it. If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying 'End-of-the-World Switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH', the paint wouldn't even have time to dry." --Terry Pratchett, Thief of Time
    "Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life." --Terry Pratchett, JiNGO
    TP, Godspeed

10+ Year Old Account
    Sword of truth- best
    the terry brooks books are amazing for your age also, love them when i was 16
    sum david gemmel also good

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Neil Gaimans books are fantastic.
    Neverwhere, Anansi Boys, American Gods. So are his graphic novels (mmmm, Sandman). Easily the best writen fantasy out there when it comes to pure magical language.

Robin Hobbs the Farseer Trillogy is amazing. Loved it when I was your age.

The Hitchhikers Guide to the galaxy is. Win. Very, very, much win. Don't forget to bring a towel.

Dune is great, if you want to start munching on the Sci-fi.

If you want satire at it's best, that you might miss most of the time. Go Pratchett. The discworld is filled with real life satire hidden among fantasy parodies.

The Lies of Locke Lamora is also highly entertaining. First book in a trillogy.
    - Lars

10+ Year Old Account
    Like others have said, A Song of Ice and Fire is great.

If you try it and like it, I would also highly recommend "Wheel of Time" by Robert Jordan & Brandon Sanderson, as well as "Malazan Book of the Fallen" by Steven Erikson.

Frank Herbets Dune series of books is excellent. Asimovs Empire series and his Robot books are also good.

10+ Year Old Account
    Great thread,
    In work i use my ipod only to listen to audio books as i do my daily work..gotta love working alone :P
    For a great detective series i would go for the Elvis Cole series by Robert Crais
    (http://www.robertcrais.com/novels_order.htm)
    They started in 1987 and still new ones coming out now. real easy reading and you cant help liking the guy.

Another great series is the Harry Bosch detective set from Michael Connelly
    http://www.michaelconnelly.com/extras/series/
    As a side he wrote the Lincoln Lawyer (shit film but oh well) and the book is fantastic and so are the couple of follow ups.

Next series for me is Reacher by Lee Child,
    http://www.leechild.com/books.php
    Its about a retired army major who seems to find trouble everywhere he goes. Fantastic series and well worth reading.

I can probably go on all day about books but its obviously personal preference so hope you try the first of each books as im sure if you did you would enjoy them.

Mart

Ive read wheel of time twice, its 12 books, or 13, cant remember anymore. Awesome series
    But one book to rule them all is friggin Brandon Sandersons The Way of Kings.......

SOOOOOO GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD.

Makes Harry Potter look like its written by a child. I've Read all those too.

Read everything ever written by J.R.R Tolkien starting with The Hobbit

Kingkiller Chronicles by Patrick Rothfuss. Two books in the series so far, and The Name of the Wind (book one) is my personal favorite book of any genre.

Abarat by clive barker is really good.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wheel of time, a bit repetitive at times, parts almost felt like they were added to make the story longer but a good read all the same.
    The dark tower series.
    Lord of the rings.
    The hobbit.
    Song of ice and fire.

A Malazan Book of the Fallen is probably my favourite series.