Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Robbery victim charged with manslaughter for police shooting after lying to 911

Very interesting story. A robbery victim falsely claimed that the robbers had guns, presumably to attract quicker police attention. The police end up shooting one of the suspects dead, and now the robbery victim is facing manslaughter charges.

What do you think about this? I think he should be charged with something, but I think manslaughter is going a tiny bit too far.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/false-911-c...8#.T3TnQGH2Z5Z

I'm not very familiar with California criminal code but if he caused the death of someone through negligent action without premeditation then yeah manslaughter fits. Depends on the degree of the charge as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    i doubt the guy knew whether or not the criminal had a gun and the cop should have made sure he didnt have a gun before shooting

If he purposefully lied to police about the thieves having guns, and that lie led to the officer using lethal force when he may not have done so if he knew the truth, then the "victim" belongs in jail.

But if he thought they had guns, but didn't know for sure, that may be justifiable.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ok yeah, he called 911 claiming he was robbed at gunpoint. If it was a situation where he thought he saw one wit ha gun durimg a shootout or something, it'd be ok. But manslaughter definitely fits here.

Quote Originally Posted by Tierbook View Post
    i doubt the guy knew whether or not the criminal had a gun and the cop should have made sure he didnt have a gun before shooting
    "Two guys just stole my backpack and put a gun in my face right now," Carrillo told the dispatcher in the 911 recording.

He was lying about that it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by Tierbook View Post
    A lot of people are making this argument. The false report does not excuse the police from firing their weapons without feeling their life, or another's, was in danger. I guess they could say the suspect reached for his waistband... that seems to be the go-to excuse.

Quote Originally Posted by Dacien View Post
    A lot of people are making this argument. The false report does not excuse the police from firing their weapons without feeling their life, or another's, was in danger. I guess they could say the suspect reached for his waistband... that seems to be the go-to excuse.
    You can be sure the police officer will be investigated. His decision making doesn't absolve the "victim".

10+ Year Old Account
    There's something in the water... Florida
    hmm would the cops have taken him seriously if he had said they took his backpack and ran away?

The police have to prioritize their man power.

Petty theft isn't as important as armed robbery or homicide.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dacien View Post
    Very interesting story. A robbery victim falsely claimed that the robbers had guns, presumably to attract quicker police attention. The police end up shooting one of the suspects dead, and now the robbery victim is facing manslaughter charges.

What do you think about this? I think he should be charged with something, but I think manslaughter is going a tiny bit too far.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/false-911-c...8#.T3TnQGH2Z5Z
    I think after the huge fiasco with the teen getting killed by a neighborhood watch volunteer in Florida, they are trying to cover all the bases. Charging the man who made a false claim is rather ingenious actually; doesn't mean he will be convicted, but it sure will scare the hell out of people for a future reference.

Deleted
    I can understand lying when you're scared for you life. It's just unfortunate that the police used deadly force and the robbery victim now faces the appropriate charges because of it. I sympathise but it makes sense that he be prosecuted.

He's indirectly responsible for their death for lying. Manslaughter sounds about right to me. I can't imagine he'll be sentenced all that heavily, but still.

What's also crazy is that at first the police were charging the suspect's friend with murder even though they pulled the trigger. Felony murder rule. Makes sense, but it's still kind of bizarre in a way.

Looks like they shot an unarmed suspect and now somebody has to be blamed.

Deleted
    He lied, which resulted in an overuse of force from police and a death of a criminal. I'd rather leave this one to the people who passed the BAR to be honest.

You got cops in a high crime area chasing 2 dudes who book it as soon as they see police. One of them reaches for his waistband. Duh, it's inevitable what happens next. Call or no call, it probably would have ended the same way.

Charge the caller with something for lying to the police, but manslaughter is a bit much imo.

10+ Year Old Account
    If he actually knew the guy didn't have a gun, yeah, fits. If he was just guessing then I wouldn't agree.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    If he actually knew the guy didn't have a gun, yeah, fits. If he was just guessing then I wouldn't agree.
    He said they robbed him at gunpoint, even though both were unarmed. Not really a guess at that point, and even if it was, it's so brazen and inflammatory a claim (threatening him with them implying they're fully ready to use them on some random guy in the streets), I really can't see how the police would've reacted any other way in that situation unless they're assuming the suspect is lying or very unreliable.
    Last edited by Caiada; 2012-03-30 at 12:26 AM.

It does sound harsh. I think he wouldn't think of the consequences and did not realise the police would shoot.
    So no, I don't know what I would charge but manslaughter seems so harsh.