10+ Year Old Account

In help for brand new paladin tanking LFR/DS

Hello, My Paladin's Name is Mamasita, ill link her armory link in a bit, but anyways, when i go into the LFR, people tell me that im undergeared when my paladin has always been a tank since day one and now people either kick me or make bad comments about me and it just irritates me, i know what im doing as far as tanking but, in some of the fights im just clueless, so im still getting used to dpsing it on my druid/mage/dk to get the hang of it as far as range and melee. At melee im fine but at tanking, idk but i offtanked it on reg ds 10 and i did perfectly fine. So my question is that if you can give me any recomendations for addons for tanking paladins or macros that i can use to gain threat quick like a mouse over macro when i see a mob at a dps and just acro it by just using my mouse left click and bam, aggro's it. Thanks!

Hi, I'm a protection paladin as well and noticed no one has helped you out and decided I shall take on that task. So I looked at your character(Mamasita at malygos) for a reference at where you were at.

First, how you're gemming is fine. You're gemming at what is called heavy mastery. This is great for someone that is not ctc caped which I will explain in a minute.

Second, Enchants need to be made and put onto your gear. Either look on mmo's forums or head over to maintankadin which is a great site for protection paladins.

Third, there is no reason why you should be having healer or dps gear on. There is a nice trinket from valor gear that I would suggest picking up as well as the one that is from hour of twilight if I remember correctly. Same goes with shield and ring.

Fourth, threat should not be an issue at the moment for tanks. Taunts work great for getting mobs off of dps or healers. If a rotation is not being followed it's basically CS-AS-CS-J-CS-SotR or word of glory depending on health.

Fifth, I noticed your dodge and parry were way off which is a bad thing and I'll explain why. Dodge and Parry have diminishing returns aka dr. With out going into depth about it all basically you want to keep your dodge and parry as close together as you can through means of reforging. If you need help with reforging askmrrobot can help you.

Sixth, for normal modes research the fights whether it be youtube or forums. When you get into heroic modes this is a key aspect.

Seventh, I would like to give you a basic over view of what the combat table coverage is aka ctc which will help you understand how to cap it.
    So every time a mob or boss melee swings at you the server looks at your combat table. Your combat table includes miss, dodge, parry, block, and hit in that order.
    Miss has a 5% chance to happen no matter what. So the server rolls a dice and gets a number between .01 and 100. Basically you want to obtain 102.4% when you add up miss, dodge, parry, and block. When you reach ctc cap you no longer will take a full hit, it will be one of the others on the combat table. At this point block will be the worst thing to happen because it's not 100% avoided. Before ctc cap mastery is your best stat. After words your dodge and parry are because like I said block is the worst thing to happen so you want more dodge and parry so it will take up more of the combat table. Also you want to look at stam. Stam is the way most tanks are going in DS after ctc cap which can be obtained through the means of gems.

Last, it's LFR most of the people that are bad mouthing you are trolls dude.

Hope this helped!
    Last edited by Sludgehamer; 2012-04-04 at 06:28 AM.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Oculusdeath View Post
    Hello, My Paladin's Name is Mamasita, ill link her armory link in a bit, but anyways, when i go into the LFR, people tell me that im undergeared when my paladin has always been a tank since day one and now people either kick me or make bad comments about me and it just irritates me, i know what im doing as far as tanking but, in some of the fights im just clueless, so im still getting used to dpsing it on my druid/mage/dk to get the hang of it as far as range and melee. At melee im fine but at tanking, idk but i offtanked it on reg ds 10 and i did perfectly fine. So my question is that if you can give me any recomendations for addons for tanking paladins or macros that i can use to gain threat quick like a mouse over macro when i see a mob at a dps and just acro it by just using my mouse left click and bam, aggro's it. Thanks!
    Not to be a dirt bag or anything here, but if you have been tanking since day 1 and you don't know why people kick you, then I would suggest that you read up on tanking and what we go for when it comes to gear.
    Sludgehamer made a good post here and I just wanted to dwell some on it.

GEAR: You don't want any intellect gear at all as a tank !! No no no no, NEVER !
    Your gear should always be strength/stamina with parry, dodge and/or mastery as green stats. So your shield need to go as fast as possible.
    Now for your trinkets. Both your trinket's are DPS trinkets and not tank trinkets. I guess that the fact that you use them with your shield = you being kicked from LFR and LFD.
    Sludgehamer pointed to your trinkets also and I would get the Valor point trinket and also try to get a hold of Veil of Lies. When that is in place, try again with LFR.

Now, your gear still needs some work. You are not reforging properly and you are missing enchants and even a belt buckle.

Over to your questions about macros and addons. I find that using a addon like Tidyplates, gives me a nice overview of which adds or even boss, I don't have aggro on. If you do that, you can easy just click on that mob and use taunt. That's my best advice for now.

But, get your gear sorted !! That should be by far the most important thing you can do !

Once you have sorted out the gear:

Morchok: Stand there and tank him. Cooldowns are useful if the armor debuff gets high (> 4 stacks).
    Yor'sahj: Stand there and tank him. If the other tank gets more than 4-5 stacks of the debuff, taunt the boss. If you get more than 4-5 stacks of the debuff, use a cooldown.
    Zon'ozz: Tank him facing the raid. when he has spat the purple ball out, turn the boss about 90-120° so that is is showing the raid his back. When he begins the black phase turn him to face the raid until he spits out a new ball, then repeat the cycle.
    Hagara: tank in the middle of the room. When she is about to use Focused Assault (under a second on the boss mod timer), begin to run away. She will stop moving to cast Focused Assault, and then stop casting it immediately. If you do not move, use a cooldown.
    Ultraxion: If the other tank gets Fading Light, taunt the boss immediately. If you get Fading Light, press the big button in the middle of the screen about 3 seconds before the debuff expires. If you don't do this, YOU WILL DIE.
    Blackhorn: tank one add in one place, the other tank will take the other one. Run into the big voidzone when it spawns. When the boss spawns, tank him. If he casts shockwave, make sure you aren't in the dusty area because you will be stunned and probably die.
    Spine: tank Amalgamation. Pull it through the orange blood puddles to stack up to 9 stacks. When it has 9 stacks it will start doing AoE damage, pull it to the plate at the front end of the dragon back on one side of the boss (left or right, doesn't matter). It will cast a spell when it hits 1 hp, run towards the raid. Rinse/repeat two more times.
    Madness: tank the Corruption that spawns at the back of the platform. If you get Impale cast on you, use Dream or an other cooldown (divine protection, Ardent defender) or you will die. The other tank should taunt off you. Tank the blood that spawn when Deathwing casts Hemorrage in the yellow dome. Repeat for the next three platforms. On the last platform (you all jump back to ysera's platform) help kill the Fragments, then tank the elementium terrors. You should only take one, use cooldowns when the debuff stacks higher than 4. You have Dream again here, don't forget to use it. When the Terrors are dead, use Divine Shield to remove the ticking debuff as the healers will forget to continue to heal you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wow, Thanks Guys. I really appreciate it. I will take a look once i get home tonight and just reforge and work on getting my stuff sorted. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by crowpala View Post
    Not to be a dirt bag or anything here, but if you have been tanking since day 1 and you don't know why people kick you, then I would suggest that you read up on tanking and what we go for when it comes to gear.
    Sludgehamer made a good post here and I just wanted to dwell some on it.

GEAR: You don't want any intellect gear at all as a tank !! No no no no, NEVER !
    Your gear should always be strength/stamina with parry, dodge and/or mastery as green stats. So your shield need to go as fast as possible.
    Now for your trinkets. Both your trinket's are DPS trinkets and not tank trinkets. I guess that the fact that you use them with your shield = you being kicked from LFR and LFD.
    Sludgehamer pointed to your trinkets also and I would get the Valor point trinket and also try to get a hold of Veil of Lies. When that is in place, try again with LFR.

Now, your gear still needs some work. You are not reforging properly and you are missing enchants and even a belt buckle.

Over to your questions about macros and addons. I find that using a addon like Tidyplates, gives me a nice overview of which adds or even boss, I don't have aggro on. If you do that, you can easy just click on that mob and use taunt. That's my best advice for now.

But, get your gear sorted !! That should be by far the most important thing you can do !

I would agree on getting the addon Tidy name plates and the addon that goes with it called threat plates!