After some digging around...(r.e. shockadins)

So there's been a few rumblings of discussion regarding Holy Paladin offensive options in MoP and I was very hard pressed to find any sort of videos of people exploring Holy Paladins, much less dps. But then I came across a video and skimmed through it, and to my pleasant surprise, I found a whole sections discussing Holy Paladin dps.

http://www.twitch.tv/eloderung/b/312590274

Forward it to ~ 1:36:10 for the start of the discussion. I was very impressed at the damage potential, and I hope it provides an avenue for solo play in the future.

Discuss what you see here.

What damage potential? Why be a shockadin when you can be ret and do better damage or be holy and do better healing. This won't happen or be viable with the damage abiltiies being ret only, Sorry truth hurts.

Those numbers flying up is about 6k dps OH MY! Not really, it isn't viable.
    Last edited by anaxie; 2012-03-29 at 11:15 PM.

I'm not advocating it as a dps spec. I just would like Paladins, who are curious, to know that the damage is decent and "burst" can be set up. You should be able to get some solo play out of it. Now its definitely not going to be the monster 4.0 "Shockadins" were, but there are some variables that have changed.

Quote Originally Posted by anaxie View Post
    I don't know which bit of the video you were looking at (the wrong bit).

Under wings he can spam Holy Shock, which is critting for 50k. Sure that's not sustainable, but that's some very heavy burst for a healer.

It's not going to be viable as a dps spec but in terms of contributing to burst phases that will be almost as good as a dps spec for those 15 seconds or so.

They will most likely roughly balance your dps to the same level as a disc priest (or holy, in MoP) using atonement or shaman spamming LB etc. So it'll be something worthwhile to do in a healing lull or during a super-demanding burst phase but not really significant over the course of the fight.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    He didn't have Inquisition up, either. (Now that I think about it... does holy not get it anymore?)

Closest thing to inquisition is the WoG glyph (6 (?) seconds of 10% damage). Denounce glyph also keeps up a constant 20% buff.

15+ Year Old Account
    I'm opposed to this for PvP reasons. Healers heal, the last thing we need is for PvP to be MORE bursty because their healer partners can do DPS-level damage for 10-15 seconds.

That's going to completely suck.
    Global Moderator | Forum Guidelines

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Simca View Post
    I'm opposed to this for PvP reasons. Healers heal, the last thing we need is for PvP to be MORE bursty because their healer partners can do DPS-level damage for 10-15 seconds.

That's going to completely suck.
    I'd be opposed for the new choice:

Quest as Holy to get healing gear and take abolutely ages
    Respec every single time you talk to a quest giver
    Forget about levelling as anything other than DPS

EJL

Quote Originally Posted by anaxie View Post
    What damage potential? Why be a shockadin when you can be ret and do better damage or be holy and do better healing. This won't happen or be viable with the damage abiltiies being ret only, Sorry truth hurts.

shockadins are
    A) a gimmick
    B) an obsession to some, a very loud, annoying obsession
    Isnt 10% of infinite still infinite?

If you look through the forums a bit you can find a guy who did napkin math for the damage for shockadines... Unless the damage is upped its not happening atm even though the glyphs are there.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    I wouldn't mind if there was a way for shockadins to exist (I played one in BC, still wish they existed to this day. Honestly some of the most fun I've had in WoW.)
    But, I would not want them to have holy-level healing capability. Not at all. So I guess what I'm saying is I like the idea of a ranged pally dps spec, if it ever happens, but separate it from holy. It's too hard to balance (PvE AND PvP).

If there was a way to be a holy dps caster, I would sure as hell play it. But no, not the days of the old shockadin. They don't belong in the current WoW model.