Deleted

Warlord Zon'ozz 10M HC

So we've decided to tackle Zon'ozz after successfully killing ultraxion on hc. We've tried several different tactics but it always seems to be way to 'stressful' (not sure if that's the right word?). Here are the tactics we've tried:
    • Starting at the first of the eyes and moving around the room and stopping at the last eye, we do this as a group
    • Splitting into 3 groups, 2 range go to the left adds, 2 range go to the right adds, healers stand in middle just in range

Our raid composition consists of:
    • Combat Rogue
    • Shadow Priest
    • Resto Shaman
    • Holy Paladin
    • Hunter
    • 2x Fire Mage
    • Blood DK
    • Destro/Demon Warlorck
    • Resto Druid

We are wiping on the black phase and the uncertainess of the debuff you get during the ping pong. Should we move away from the pack if we get the debuff or should the healers heal through it?

Here's a link to our logs:
    http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/0qxjub2i3w5ryhhg/
    http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/2xuqjjppwcdnarvk/

Any helps, suggestions, tips, tricks appreciated thanks.

Deleted
    All of the things you mentioned have been done so you won't get a conclusive answer on what is "best" since different people do it differently. However I think its more common to dispel the debuffs rather than heal through them (and as a healer I have to agree that its easier that way) and its more common to split into 3 groups during black phase. Some people stack near the claw for black phase and then split into those 3 groups and others simply split right away, my guild splits right off the bat and each healer just heals a 3rd of the room with some overlap to help each other out.

Sounds to me like you know what the strats are, you just have to pick the one you're most comfortable with and practice it until you get a kill. I would stay dispel debuffs and split into 3 groups and just keep doing it until you get good enough at it to kill the boss, its definitely a viable strat.

Your comp is also pretty damn good for the fight. It sounds like an execution issue rather than a strategy issue, which pretty much means you just need more practice. Bouncing back and forth between strats trying to find the "best" one can be detrimental sometimes, you'd be better off just sticking with one until it clicks. I'll take a detailed look at your WoL when I have a few minutes and edit this post if I see anything exceptionally off.
    Last edited by mmocf1640b68b7; 2012-03-30 at 07:16 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    You group setup seems perfect for this fight.

For the bounce phases just split your group in two. Set 4 ranged dps and the resto shammy on the ranged group. Have them standing at the water edge facing straight at the boss. Mark this place so it's easier to find later (we use purple raidflag for this). In the melee pile have the rogue, resto druid, holy pala and one of the fire mages or the shadow priest. Each time someone gets the debuff, just make them run out of the group to the sides to get dispelled asap.

I would suggest you take 7-5-5-5 bounces, just because the dk can take abit more damage then other tanks once the boss starts to get more then 5 Focused Anger stacks. Just have your dk to pop icebound fortitude once the boss reaches 5 stacks (that way it will be ready near the end also) and use AMS for the 2nd Psychic Drain (should come just as the 5th bounce hits). Make sure either your hunter or rogue (or possibly spriest) is maintaining the 25% less healing debuff during bounce phases, to limit the amount of healing the boss gets from each drain. As a sidenote, your tank could opt to equip mirror of broken images to have a cd for both drains. But the 1st one is usually not a problem (Usually hits at about the 2nd bounce and then imidiatly after the void is released on the other bounce phases). Make sure no-one is standing infront of boss at any given time. The drain hits hard and if it hits anyone else then just the tank, the boss will heal for more.

You could also make the fire mages take the last bounces solo with cauterize (or spriest with dispersion) to limit raid damage and give people more time to get to their black phase positions. We usually just power through it though.

Black phase - I would suggest you split your group in 3 once you hit the black phase. The easiest solution for your team would probably like this.

Purple flag: Where the ranged group is starting should be manned by the resto shaman, the hunter and warlock. Get them to nuke down the flail first then the two eyes close by. They shouldn't have to move too far away from they're spot the entire fight.

Yellow flag: This flag is placed where the claw spawns, to the left of the boss. The shadow priest, rogue, holy pala and tank should run here. If possible get the priest to life grip the tank there, because the claw has to be picked up by the tank as soon as it spawns to avoid random deaths to it. Get the priest to kill the closest eye then start working on the boss/claw. Rogue should start on claw, but switch to the boss as it comes and just blade flurry the claw down. Also if you blood dk has 4set tank gear, this would be a great time to pop vampiric blood since everyone is taking alot of damage. It will be up for every black phase.

Red flag: This is usually placed on the far end of the room where the last 2 eyes and the last flail spawn. Get your resto druid and two mages to run here as soon as they can. Kill off flail and the two eyes then run back to their assigned positions to prepare for the bounce phase. How you set up your groups this time around is up to you. Probably easiest to stick with what you started with.

(Flag colors are random. Just what my raid uses. So I'm just using them to make a point.)

A little tip for the eyes. If you have anyone with a ranged interupt, get them to interupt the eyes when they are "sitting down". That's their cast animation for the channeled spell Shadow Gaze. You won't actually see the spell getting cast, but when rupted it will save you from alot of raid damage.

First two black phases just kill every thing. On the third black phase just kill the flails and focus on the boss. Should you get to a 4th black phase, ignore all the adds, stack up, roll cd's and just focus everything on the boss.

Sorry for wall-of-text.. :P

Deleted
    What we do is we go with 5-7-5-5 and on the fourth blackphase you all stack up and pop BL and just burn the boss.
    We found this picture on another thread on MMO, and it helped us out alot.

gah, wont let me post an image -.- but copy this link oi42.tinypic(dot)com/30aqhbn.jpg (with a . where the dot is)

At the start you bounce the ball between Red and Blue. When the melees move to let the ball hit the boss we have all our members spread out to designated positions. (2 dps + a healer on yellow, tank + combat rogue on blue, healer + 3 dps on purple, a healer standing between purple and blue healing both groups) Make sure to burst down the Flails first (Nr 1 and 2 on the picture) then have the yellow group move on to their eye (5) and the purple group move over to their next target (1) while running in range of it have ur dps dot up the next to the flail (nr 2) after 1 is dead proceed to nr 2 and then to nr 3 then the purple group stack up on purple. When the yellow group have downed their flail and eye (5) they move on to the (4) eye. Once thats dead they either assist the rogue to cleave down the claw or they assist the purple group killing the (3) eye. Then you start bouncing the ball off blue and purple. Repeat that till uve reached the 4th black phase, on the 4th phase, every1 stacks up on blue and pop BL and just burn the boss down. Dont be afraid to use healing cooldowns during blackphases. In ur comp id prolly use the resto druid, hunter and 1 of the mages/lock on yellow, lock/mages and priest + rsham on purple, and hpal between purple and blue, Remember to interrupt the eyes once they "couch" down (prevents alot of raid dmg), Have people pop dmg reduction cooldowns right as they enter the blackphase as the dmg will be quite insane at that moment. Also have the DPS save their dps cooldowns for the adds in blackphase as they need to go down fairly quick. Have people run out of the raid once they get the debuff, call out on any voice programm they use for a dispel then make them move back in quickly.

Sorry for the wall of text, cba to do paragraphs and im in quite a hurry, hope this helps

Deleted
    We usually go with a similar comp to that. We have everyone stacked at the claw in black, ranged kill flails, then 2 ranged and a healer go right, 2 ranged and a healer go left. Melee kill the one closest eye, combat rogue stays on boss. Get back in quickly to repeat.

Deleted
    Thanks for all your help I'll let the group know and we can hopefully kill this on monday or tuesday!

Quote Originally Posted by Daredalus View Post
    So we've decided to tackle Zon'ozz after successfully killing ultraxion on hc. We've tried several different tactics but it always seems to be way to 'stressful' (not sure if that's the right word?). Here are the tactics we've tried:
    • Starting at the first of the eyes and moving around the room and stopping at the last eye, we do this as a group
    • Splitting into 3 groups, 2 range go to the left adds, 2 range go to the right adds, healers stand in middle just in range

Our raid composition consists of:
    • Combat Rogue
    • Shadow Priest
    • Resto Shaman
    • Holy Paladin
    • Hunter
    • 2x Fire Mage
    • Blood DK
    • Destro/Demon Warlorck
    • Resto Druid

We are wiping on the black phase and the uncertainess of the debuff you get during the ping pong. Should we move away from the pack if we get the debuff or should the healers heal through it?

Here's a link to our logs:
    http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/0qxjub2i3w5ryhhg/
    http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/2xuqjjppwcdnarvk/

Any helps, suggestions, tips, tricks appreciated thanks.
    As far as dispelling or not dispelling the debuff it really comes down to your raid's awareness...we started by trying to heal through it but the healers were having a rough time with it so we started to selectively dispel...namely, if you are topped and the ball is not going to hit your group run out and call for a dispel. It really comes down to your raid being comfortable with the fight and being able to recognize what is happening.

You want to make sure you kill the flails first in each black phase...they do the most amount of damage and have the least amount of health. Make sure your dotters (and your comp has a ton of them) dot the boss and the eyes on the way to the flail...it will make a huge difference in getting out of the black phase faster and back on the boss.

As far as bounces go we tried many different strats but what finally worked (and rather easily) was going 9-7-7 with our shadow priest or fire mage solo soaking the last bounce of each rotation and using a raid CD on the melee group for the second to last bounce (Aura Mastery - Spirit Link - Aura Mastery.) Once we started the third black phase we killed ONLY the two flails while the tank picked up the claw and as soon as Zon'ozz runs back to the tank everybody stacks, we blow heroism, pots, and all major offensive CDs and the boss just melted. Some strats recommended ignoring the flails and just zerging but there was still a lot of damage going out so we took the safe route and killed the flails (with the damage amp they die REALLY fast in the third black phase)
    Last edited by Sakic; 2012-03-30 at 04:52 PM.

For the debuff is the ball is about to hit your grp stay in take the extra dmg then move out and get dispelled. As far as black phase goes now with the nerfs its fairly simple healing wise. Just stay stacked up with a raid cd until a few of the close tentacles are dead. As a DK i usually run out of the grp quickly and pop AMS and take down the closest tentacle.

My guild just killed it last night. The big thing of this fight is living through black phase - we did it by using 2 cooldowns per phase. We stacked on top of the claw at the start (except the people assigned to kill the topmost flail behind the boss), dropped an AOE cooldown such as SLT/barrier, spread out and then used a raidwide cd such as tranq/dguardian. Once our healers understood the positioning and movement of the fight, it's just a matter of getting it under your feet. A very easy fight now with the 15%, just requires a little bit of coordination and fast target switching.

Tip - heal through the debuff. Spreading out to dispel causes more problems than it solves at this point, and the damage difference is negligible, you take 60k when you pop anyway and you're losing a lot of DPS due to movement.

edit: your HPS is quite low, we barely scraped by with 65-70K raid HPS.
    Last edited by StupidPanda; 2012-03-30 at 06:03 PM.

[*]Splitting into 3 groups, 2 range go to the left adds, 2 range go to the right adds, healers stand in middle just in range
    Strategy is good.

I would prefer moving away from the pack and dispel. Sitting there soaks a lot of healing (harder to heal through in 10m) and when it expires/dispels it knocks everyone back which disrupts healing even more. This is even more significant if your healers cant keep up in black phase (no point draining their mana in white as well).

If your healers are struggling then take less bounces. Worry about pressuring them more when you find out if you're going to hit enrage or not.
    Last edited by PalawinFC; 2012-03-30 at 09:39 PM.

Your flails are alive too long, it's a bit late for me to analyze closer but many points are already made. It'll spiral out of control if you dont get your dps working faster. Try getting one or both mages to go arcane if you have enough overall dps. We improved our blackphases with that burst.

Sorry for any misspellings or incooherent ramblings!
    Tired.

Zzzzz.