Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

Charr and their machines

So i just saw a video of the Charr capital and it was like watching some futuristic town with crazy machines and I also remembered the Charr say they killed their gods(I also wonder why) but it made me wonder.... why don't the Charr just get their machines out in the field and kill the dragons and whatever other enemies are there?

I mean ok, we don't know the Asura stuff yet, so they could have crazy tech as well(I saw they have portals built by tech, not magic, so they could be even more advanced), but for now I saw the Charr and so why don't they?

The charr and asura will unite their brilliance....and create floating siege tanks.
    Then...the elder dragons shall tremble.

Deleted
    The Charr Gods were not Gods at all, just powerfull monsters. The God part was 'invented' by a faction of the Charr society to control other charr and use as powerfull weapons against their enemies. Also, the Elder Dragons are so powerful that I think that even if we would take the whole assembled military force of current earth, including nukes, and went at them they would utterly destroy us.

One of the elder dragons was merely flying over an area and crystalized it, and turned all living in the area into fanatic cristalized fanatics in his cause. (The Dragonbrand on the east side of the linked map)

Lastly, Charr tech is about 250y old, more of steam punk style.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by fs161200 View Post
    The Charr Gods were not Gods at all, just powerfull monsters. The God part was 'invented' by a faction of the Charr society to control other charr and use as powerfull weapons against their enemies.

One of the elder dragons was merely flying over an area and crystalized it, and turned all living in the area into fanatic cristalized fanatics in his cause. (The Dragonbrand on the east side of the linked map)

This ^ exactly.

Also the Asura tech is based around magic crystals. Each of those crystals radiate a specific type of elemental power, earth, water, air, fire etc...

As for the monsters that the char used to worship as "gods", they were merely servants of the elder dragons who gave them power so that they would wage war on the other races thus weakening them. They choice the shamans to be their "priests" because they knew the shaman disliked having female char in power, so when the char shaman were granted their power they made char women into slaves.

Eventually the char women got tired of their treatment & rebelled, allot of the males from Iron, Blood & shadow legion decided to join them & they defeated the shamans & their "gods" thus creating the char society as we know them now.
    Last edited by zcks; 2012-03-30 at 11:12 AM.
    The way balancing for WOW PVP works is allot like American politics.
    1: Be lazy & ignore problems till the yelling is so loud your cant concentrate.
    2: Refuse to do the things you have Said need to be done, then make up reasons why they cannot be done.
    3: Lay the blame for problems on someone else even when it's your fault because you did all of the above.

Deleted
    Asura have basically a mixture between technology and magic. A lot of their technology actually is based on magic as a vital component.

Let's face it, Charr are just wannabe Asura. That's why they're so vocal about being "superior"... because they're afraid someone will find out.

Deleted
    First of all, you cant kill a dragon, they will always come back eventually...and you really think a few cannons would be enough to bring down a elder dragon that is so big it blocks out the sun!

Deleted
    Oh, and one more thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arnorei View Post
    I mean ok, we don't know the Asura stuff yet, so they could have crazy tech as well
    Look up the GW2 videos TotalBiscuit published from Gamescom 2011, particularly the one where his Asura Guardian witnesses a dragon attack DE, and you'll find some Asura mega laser cannons.

Mega.
    Laser.
    Cannon.

Quote Originally Posted by DiamondDust View Post
    First of all, you cant kill a dragon, they will always come back eventually...and you really think a few cannons would be enough to bring down a elder dragon that is so big it blocks out the sun!
    You don't need to be too big to block out the sun, it all depends on your relative position to the observer.

Also, once you cross a certain threshold of technology, your killing power increases exponentially and nothing becomes "too hard to kill".

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashnazg View Post
    You don't need to be too big to block out the sun, it all depends on your relative position to the observer.

Also, once you cross a certain threshold of technology, your killing power increases exponentially and nothing becomes "too hard to kill".
    Doesnt matter how or with what you kill a dragon, all dragon lore says you cant kill a dragon, they eventually respawns unless your dovakin

10+ Year Old Account
    Doesnt matter how or with what you kill a dragon, all dragon lore says you cant kill a dragon, they eventually respawns unless your dovakin
    Don't mix the two games...
    Quote Originally Posted by SW:TOR
    Jokerseven - Kinetic Combat Shadow - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Ce'lia - Combat Sentinel - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Sentinel PVE Basics for the two Specs that matter

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jigain View Post
    Oh, and one more thing.

Look up the GW2 videos TotalBiscuit published from Gamescom 2011, particularly the one where his Asura Guardian witnesses a dragon attack DE, and you'll find some Asura mega laser cannons.

Mega.
    Laser.
    Cannon.
    ya they have a mega laser cannon, one that has no defenses & takes 10 minutes to charge a single shot.
    2: Refuse to do the things you have Said need to be done, then make up reasons why they cannot be done.
    3: Lay the blame for problems on someone else even when it's your fault because you did all of the above.

10+ Year Old Account
    Behind you, what I'm not? Then who's this person I'm behind?
    Pfft puny Asura and Charr with their lowly technology. Sylvari have plant technology. Ever seen a plant-cannon? No you haven't, because the only people to of ever seen a plant cannon are all dead.
    Last edited by Pud'n; 2012-03-30 at 02:10 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Army of Darkness View Post
    Pfft puny Asura and Charr with their lowly technology. Sylvari have plant technology. Ever seen a plant-cannon? No you haven't, because the only people to of ever seen a plant cannon are all dead.
    lol QFT, i may steal this post and use it as my sig...

---------- Post added 2012-03-30 at 10:02 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Ashnazg View Post

unless the things you're fighting are stronger and older then the gods puny humans worship... i'm pretty sure it doesn't matter how strong your tech is if it can merely fly over you to turn you into one of its slaves...
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

10+ Year Old Account
    The logistics alone to set up something like that would be mindblowing for a single nation. Scouting to find dragon lair (and which dragon would the Charr start with?), finding passable terrain to travel with all those war engines and soliders, supply lines, morale AND motivation to even go after that dragon since afaik (i havent played GW1 and have only read Ghosts of Ascalon) none of the elder dragons have directly attacked the Charr, the crystal desert was just a fly by passive effect more than a directed attack I believe? Sure the Charr can use the Asuran portals but those are limited by size and location, I doubt any of the elder dragons have decided to set up their lairs with a portal inside so they can just nom on roaming adventurers as they exited the portal =P, so forced marches would still be required. And werent the Asurans with all their tech (which according to GoA was more advanced during that time) FORCED out of their homelands and onto the surface by ONE dragon?

Suppose they DO manage to kill one (i highly doubt it), then what? March back to Blackstone and just pat yourselves on the back the dragons dead, end of the story? Or prep up for the next ones? Cause you know the other dragons are gonna come after you if they know you're capable to killing em off. How are the Charr even going to get passed any human controled areas anyways?

"Hi worthless Humans, we're this massive army of warmachines and elite charr soliders that want to cross through your borders freely despite having all the might to easily destroy your entire race once we're safely within your borders, mind letting us through?" Yah, I dont think any of the other nations would let such a huge army pass through without some form of alliance (and it seems too strained atm to be completely trustworthy). This doesnt even touch just how defenseless the Charr homeland would be after investing all their might and majority of their army into such a plan.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    unless the things you're fighting are stronger and older then the gods puny humans worship... i'm pretty sure it doesn't matter how strong your tech is if it can merely fly over you to turn you into one of its slaves...
    Well it didn't turn them all into violent insanely slaves, just the vast majority of them.

Also if you read the book edge of destiny you learn that enthralling the minds of enemies does take some effort even for the elder dragons, some individuals of very strong will can also resist the process (though doing so leaves them open to physical attack). There are also some ways to dilute their mental powers & prevent them from controlling you via magics.

All that being said unless every single person had protection from being raised from the dead or turned into a brainless violent thrall your going to be screwed because ever single soldier that falls becomes another enemy.
    It's basically allot like fighting the scourge in world of warcraft, not impossible just extremely hard & logistically "Near" impossible.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by fs161200 View Post
    The Charr Gods were not Gods at all, just powerfull monsters. The God part was 'invented' by a faction of the Charr society to control other charr and use as powerfull weapons against their enemies. Also, the Elder Dragons are so powerful that I think that even if we would take the whole assembled military force of current earth, including nukes, and went at them they would utterly destroy us.

Ok, I get it, thanks for telling me, didn't know that.
    But then the question is, if they're so powerful, how come those 6 heroes... don't know their names, there was a norn lady and her wolf, two asuras and their golems, a male charr, a male human and a female sylvari... defeat some dragons?

Quote Originally Posted by Zemenar View Post
    The logistics alone to set up something like that would be mindblowing for a single nation. Scouting to find dragon lair (and which dragon would the Charr start with?), finding passable terrain to travel with all those war engines and soliders, supply lines, morale AND motivation to even go after that dragon since afaik (i havent played GW1 and have only read Ghosts of Ascalon) none of the elder dragons have directly attacked the Charr, the crystal desert was just a fly by passive effect more than a directed attack I believe? Sure the Charr can use the Asuran portals but those are limited by size and location, I doubt any of the elder dragons have decided to set up their lairs with a portal inside so they can just nom on roaming adventurers as they exited the portal =P, so forced marches would still be required. And werent the Asurans with all their tech (which according to GoA was more advanced during that time) FORCED out of their homelands and onto the surface by ONE dragon?

Suppose they DO manage to kill one (i highly doubt it), then what? March back to Blackstone and just pat yourselves on the back the dragons dead, end of the story? Or prep up for the next ones? Cause you know the other dragons are gonna come after you if they know you're capable to killing em off. How are the Charr even going to get passed any human controled areas anyways?

"Hi worthless Humans, we're this massive army of warmachines and elite charr soliders that want to cross through your borders freely despite having all the might to easily destroy your entire race once we're safely within your borders, mind letting us through?" Yah, I dont think any of the other nations would let such a huge army pass through without some form of alliance (and it seems too strained atm to be completely trustworthy). This doesnt even touch just how defenseless the Charr homeland would be after investing all their might and majority of their army into such a plan.
    Well yes, but aren't the dragons like hating on everyone? I mean won't they one day come for the charr and the humans and everyone else?

And in the face of such threat, wouldn't the humans not only let the charr army pass through, but even support it? Actually... aren't the 5 playable races working together now as we speak? They could make some pact "ok, we kill all the dragons together then we all go home and return to our wars".

And how were the Asura pushed out by one dragon alone?

And if dragons are so powerful, doesn't it mean that in the end we can't win and all of Tyria will become a vast zombie-filled camp one day?

But then the question is, if they're so powerful, how come those 6 heroes... don't know their names, there was a norn lady and her wolf, two asuras and their golems, a male charr, a male human and a female sylvari... defeat some dragons?

Well yes, but aren't the dragons like hating on everyone? I mean won't they one day come for the charr and the humans and everyone else?

And in the face of such threat, wouldn't the humans not only let the charr army pass through, but even support it? Actually... aren't the 5 playable races working together now as we speak? They could make some pact "ok, we kill all the dragons together then we all go home and return to our wars".

And how were the Asura pushed out by one dragon alone?

And if dragons are so powerful, doesn't it mean that in the end we can't win and all of Tyria will become a vast zombie-filled camp one day?
    I can answer that one at least. From the wiki, http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Primordus.

"Primordus' original resting place was in a cavern, deep underground, where it was assumed by the asura to simply be a statue emitting a high amount of magical energy. For this reason, they built the Central Transfer Chamber near the dragon. After its awakening, its minions, the destroyers, flooded the Depths of Tyria, crushing any hopes the asura had of returning to their natural home. "

edit- Also from the wiki.
    The races of Tyria are unable to understand their intelligence, motivation or even gender, as the Elder Dragons are primordial forces.
    With that quote in mind there is also the following from an old interview.
    There is no hierarchy. The other dragons, including Zhaitan and Jormag, are independent entities, powerful and inscrutable like forces of nature – and completely uncontrollable, even by one another.
    So it could be they think there are bigger fish, each other or otherwise, to fry than to worry about wiping out the lesser races while their minions are more suited.
    Last edited by Tithonus; 2012-03-30 at 07:18 PM.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    I read about different factions in Guild Wars 2, now that you mention this stuff. One wants to battle the dragons and destroy them. Another one felt it was impossible to do so and that the best course of action was to put them to sleep again. Then there was a third one that was unrelated to the dragon problem. Apparently you get to side with one of the three.

---------- Post added 2012-03-30 at 08:15 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Tithonus View Post
    I can answer that one at least. From the wiki, http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Primordus.

"Primordus' original resting place was in a cavern, deep underground, where it was assumed by the asura to simply be a statue emitting a high amount of magical energy. For this reason, they built the Central Transfer Chamber near the dragon. After its awakening, its minions, the destroyers, flooded the Depths of Tyria, crushing any hopes the asura had of returning to their natural home. "

edit- Also from the wiki.

With that quote in mind there is also the following from an old interview.

So it could be they think there are bigger fish, each other or otherwise, to fry than to worry about wiping out the lesser races while their minions are more suited.
    That information brings a whole new dimension of hopelessness and grim darkness to the lore that I hadn't seen. Now I'm actually interested in seeing what we get to do in Guild Wars 2, what happens and so on. Especially since I know we get to face Zhaitan in our personal stories.
    Last edited by Noomz; 2012-03-30 at 08:15 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Noomz View Post
    I read about different factions in Guild Wars 2, now that you mention this stuff. One wants to battle the dragons and destroy them. Another one felt it was impossible to do so and that the best course of action was to put them to sleep again. Then there was a third one that was unrelated to the dragon problem. Apparently you get to side with one of the three.
    Yea i heard about those too, its quite nice to be able to choose side there, and both are right, you can battle a dragon, but you cant truelly kill it or well for the moment..but as i said before, they always come back.

They only defeated some of the Elder Dragons' champions, not the Elder Dragons themselves.