Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Being a loot vigilante in LFR

An interesting morale dilemma occurred to me today while in LFR. I was playing my priest, who has a full set of LFR t13, and I have no interest in a shadow set as I do not like the spec much. When tier pieces drop, before clicking anything I tend to inspect those that have also clicked need on them, and if someone has the same or better, I also click need with the express want of giving it to either the second highest roller disregarding those who had the same of better, or to the person who performed the most admirably if they stood out.

Do people feel this kind of vigilantism is wrong? I know technically I am reducing the win chance of everyone who also rolled, but I am also increasing the win chance of the person who should have won the roll anyway absent the greedy.
    RETH

It's wrong. The time you spend inspecting people is the time you could be spending healing the next pull. Loot distribution is not your responsibility, if you want to do that, start a normal DS pug.

If people would stop doing exactly what you're doing, regardless of your intentions, there wouldn't be an issue.
    This space for rent.

Deleted
    The loot system is meant to be random. Seems that you can't accept that and want to make it "fair" in your opinion. Giving people loot that you think deserve it is pretty flawed. Thankfully, the option to do such a thing won't be available in Mists.

(New LFR loot system in Mists)++

So the OP is not entitled to the loot? He/She was there. They have every right to press need and do w/e they want with the loot. Keeps the loot from going to utter failure imo. I support it and practice it on every toon I have. To many /follow and horrible people in LFR to just reward them for such behavior. Was the game designed for me to do this? Not at all, but as a member of the community I feel as I should help regulate the problem. If you do not like the idea of this, follow your own logic and form your own DS. It will and imo should happen. Doesnt mean its 100% correct though, but we dont live in a perfect world (or world of warcraft!)

Agree to disagree on this I guess. Also try to search for this next time. Tons of threads on this already .

Also to quote the most common response from Blizz... Dont worry <X-Pac> will fix it. This time it actually will!
    Last edited by Hurpdurp; 2012-03-30 at 02:53 PM.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dundebuns View Post
    An interesting morale dilemma occurred to me today while in LFR. I was playing my priest, who has a full set of LFR t13, and I have no interest in a shadow set as I do not like the spec much. When tier pieces drop, before clicking anything I tend to inspect those that have also clicked need on them, and if someone has the same or better, I also click need with the express want of giving it to either the second highest roller disregarding those who had the same of better, or to the person who performed the most admirably if they stood out.

Do people feel this kind of vigilantism is wrong? I know technically I am reducing the win chance of everyone who also rolled, but I am also increasing the win chance of the person who should have won the roll anyway absent the greedy.
    I'll keep this short...2 wrongs don't make a right.

10+ Year Old Account
    Doesnt matter, wont be an issue in MoP

Deleted
    Thank God we are getting new loot rules in MoP and all these self appointed arbiters of loot will go away. No, OP you didn't do anything technically wrong but maybe next time less inspecting and more healing should be the order of the day.

People just need to give up on trying to understand or rationalize LFR loot at this point.

The expansion is on the tail end, your gear isn't that great anyway in LFR, I wouldn't honestly worry about it.

People are indeed insisting it is LFR then saying that the time is better spent healing... but then again you just said it's LFR, healing trash can be done with 3 people pretty much.

And until the new loot system comes in, I will continue to take it upon myself to make sure people who have worse gear get the item progression they signed up for

So the OP is not entitled to the loot? He/She was there. They have every right to press need and do w/e they want with the loot. Keeps the loot from going to utter failure imo. I support it and practice it on every toon I have. To many /follow and horrible people in LFR to just reward them for such behavior. Was the game designed for me to do this? Not at all, but as a member of the community I feel as I should help regulate the problem. If you do not like the idea of this, follow your own logic and form your own DS. It will and imo should happen. Doesnt mean its 100% correct though, but we dont live in a perfect world (or world of warcraft!)
    Actually you bring up a really valid point here. People are lambasting me for needing on loot I already have and doing what I want with it, but are not lambasting other people who already have that loot and better and are taking it for OS or being a loot troll. Double standards people...
    Last edited by Dundebuns; 2012-03-30 at 03:35 PM.
    RETH

10+ Year Old Account
    could you also go fight fires for the Firemen.. and catch drug dealers for the Police.. i know these arent your jobs either.. but they would reward communities with potential for better living. self entitlement is as bad as stealing Mr. Robinhood.
    Quote Originally Posted by ablib View Post
    I do realize that this is an internet forum full of morons, however in real life, no one questions me, people look to me for the answer, look up to me, trust me. To have dipshits on a video game forum question me, is insulting.

Deleted
    I just roll need on everything nowdays, and vendor what i dont need.

Quote Originally Posted by Speshuled View Post
    If people would stop doing exactly what you're doing, regardless of your intentions, there wouldn't be an issue.
    This is entirely untrue. The majority of the problem is people needing items for offspec over people needing them for mainspec, people rolling for friends, people rolling to trade or de/sell. The "vigilantism" is the least of our loot worries.

Quote Originally Posted by Tryana View Post
    I just roll need on everything nowdays, and vendor what i dont need.
    I think this is exactly the problem with LFR and why blizzard is revamping the loot system for MoP

Esp. for tokens, I often roll Need (everyone does it anyway) and then inspect those that rolled, if they have something <384, I trade them the token.
    But your duty to Azeroth is not yet complete. More is demanded of you... a price the living cannot pay.

Its wrong, because people look at your gear and say "Hey, he has better and rolled need, so I'll roll need too even though I have better gear". Take the case to the extreme and assume that everyone becomes vigilantes, you're all going to be looking at each others thinking what dicks you each are because you're rolling on upgrades you don't want.

Far better to set a good example and pass on the loot. People need to do this more, so it becomes the social norm. Its clear that when there's 6 people able to roll on your loot, but only 3 do, that there have been 3 honest people bowing out. This means that when you get the item, you feel more likely to pass yourself next run.

Passing, encourages others to pass.
    Vigilante, encourages others to need.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    you're likely wrong, and we don't care anyway.
    Source

Wouldn't it be weird if people knew about people who roll like this and purposefully changed to trash gear so you would give them loot?

Deleted
    I read a similar thread about the same thing but in dungeons as opposed to raids.

The best answer i thought was "yes, it is wrong" you are trying to put yourself in a place of power above everyone else in the group reguardless of your intentions.
    Your needing for the same gear as everyone else, whether they need it or not and so you are in the same category as the people who you think don't deserve the loot.

I think the best description for your vigilatism is it's a "dick move" where as the people your trying to stop stealing the loot are assholes

I do what you do OP distribute what you won as you see fit. There are too many bads that it makes those that are carrying the run and not getting anything frustrated. Ie a fire mage and my spriest were 25% of the dmg.. And you wonder why we do what we do. If you cant carry your weight you shouldnt get anything.