Struggling a bit with necklace choice

I'm a Feral Tank currently running with Necklace of Smoke Signals (http://db.mmo-champion.com/i/71129/n...smoke-signals/). but I'm obviously looking to replace it. Seeing as there's no necklace drops for Ferals in Dragon Soul, I was looking at the VP necklace (http://db.mmo-champion.com/i/77091/c...ible-memories/). Haste and Crit is not something I'm after, so I'm kinda unsure as of what to do.

There's Choker of the Vanquished Lord (http://db.mmo-champion.com/i/71354/c...nquished-lord/), but instead of trying to farm FL hoping for a drop, would a faster route to an upgrade perhaps be Ruthless Gladiator's Necklace of Prowess (http://db.mmo-champion.com/i/72308/r...-of-prowess/)? There's obviously the S12 one aswell, but I ain't entering no Arena without any resilience whatsoever. Might pick it up later when I've bought all the VP stuff I can. Yes, it has resilience, but wouldn't the Mastery zero out the differences seeing as Hit and Haste is basically useless?

Or... Is the Crit on Smoke Signals worth more than the Mastery from the S11 necklace?
    Last edited by Nico87; 2012-04-06 at 03:18 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    The Heroic Firelands one would definitely be best in slot. I suppose the arena one would not be terrible either, but if you are going that route, you should get the s12 one. Otherwise, Cameo of Terrible Memories > Necklace of Smoke Signals, if nothing else for the stam/agi increase.

Alright, I ended up getting the s11 one now as I don't have enough VP/CP anyway. Will get the s12 one down the road. Thanks!

Also, how important is exp for a bear tank? Should I absolutely hit 26 or is it doable with 24?

15+ Year Old Account
    You want to be taking all of your expertise off in favor of defensive stats. With the 500% buff, threat should no longer be an issue. The more you hit a boss (via getting more hit/exp) does not = the more you'll crit a boss (get savage defense procs). This is a misconception. The only minor usefulness exp/hit would give you is rage generation, and even that really is a non-issue in a raiding environment.

Quote Originally Posted by Tygroen View Post
    You want to be taking all of your expertise off in favor of defensive stats. With the 500% buff, threat should no longer be an issue. The more you hit a boss (via getting more hit/exp) does not = the more you'll crit a boss (get savage defense procs). This is a misconception. The only minor usefulness exp/hit would give you is rage generation, and even that really is a non-issue in a raiding environment.
    Oh, I had actually reforged alot to Expertise to hit 26. I've reforged everything into Dodge now instead as most of my items have Mastery on them. I'm only on 16 Expertise now though after reforging off Expertise and restoring the reforges I had done to get more Expertise.

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...Aeariel/simple How does it look apart from the sub-par gear and Starcatcher Compass? I also put the Stamina gem on my belt to boost my HP a bit when I had worse gear, will probably swap it out for a 40 agi gem. It's just an alt mind you.
    Last edited by Nico87; 2012-04-06 at 04:58 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    I don't claim to be any expert on bear tanking, but everything looks fine to me. It's my understanding though, at different gear levels mastery or even crit may be better than dodge, so you might want to sim to figure out which is best in a min/maxing scenario. Overall though, if you don't really care much about that, I'd say you are fine.

Yeah, I'm only going to be tanking DS Normal at most, so I'll be fine I guess. Thanks alot for all your help

Deleted
    I'd just like to point out that unless you spend a lot of time as a kitty, you should probably go with stamina gems over agility gems.

Quote Originally Posted by Suntwat View Post
    I'd just like to point out that unless you spend a lot of time as a kitty, you should probably go with stamina gems over agility gems.
    If he's only tanking DS normal modes, there's absolutely no point in doing this, except to save gold on gems. Nothing in there is near threatening enough to require an enlarged health pool any more, with the debuff.

Right, first time tanking DS Normal 8/8 and it was a friggin' snorefest Only time it went edgy was when the other tank forgot to taunt off when I got impaled at Madness. Only wipe of the night. Anyway, picked up the agility ring and Resolve of Undying o/

Question now is do I get the VP trinket on reset or just stay with Veil of Lies? I kinda like static stats (stamina from Lies). The only other upgrades I can get is the VP ring, relic or the S12 necklace. Not stressing with the belt as I have the LFR one.
    Last edited by Nico87; 2012-04-07 at 10:20 AM.