10+ Year Old Account

The Mysterious "Bloop" Giant Unknown Sea Monster?

What created this strange sound in Earth's Pacific Ocean? Pictured above is a visual representation of a loud and unusual sound, dubbed a Bloop, captured by deep sea microphones in 1997. In the above graph, time is shown on the horizontal axis, deep pitch is shown on the vertical axis, and brightness designates loudness. Although Bloops are some of the loudest sounds of any type ever recorded in Earth's oceans, their origin remains unknown. The Bloop sound was placed as occurring several times off the southern coast of South America and was audible 5,000 kilometers away. Although the sound has similarities to those vocalized by living organisms, not even a blue whale is large enough to croon this loud. The sounds point to the intriguing hypothesis that even larger life forms lurk in the unexplored darkness of Earth's deep oceans. A less imagination-inspiring possibility, however, is that the sounds resulted from some sort of iceberg calving. No further Bloops have been heard since 1997, although other loud and unexplained sounds have been recorded.

It has now been confirmed that this sound could only come from an living organism, and it's characteristics are of something many many many times bigger than anything we have discovered today.

What the flying %#$% is this thing?

source: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBN56wL35IQ

Deleted
    After seeing the word "Bloop" so many times. I was sure the Youtube link was a rickroll lol.

OT: No idea. In any case, we haven't even begun to discover life in our oceans. There are A LOT of unknown species down there.

Cthulu, obviously.

But in all seriousness, fuck the ocean, hiding monstrosities 'n shit, seeming so innocuous with its calming waves and sandy beaches.

Quote Originally Posted by Penguin FTW View Post
    Cthulu, obviously.

But in all seriousness, fuck the ocean, hiding monstrosities 'n shit, seeming so innocuous with its calming waves and sandy beaches.
    Holy shit... Michael Swaim.... Fan from Cracked or TAM?

It's a whale farting.

Sounds like air bubble to me, maybe from one of the deep sea fractures, so one big eruption of gas followed by a couple of small ones.

Edit on the confirmation, Thats impossible, If we have no idea what made the noise how on earth do we know its living?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperMechatronGamer View Post
    OT: No idea. In any case, we haven't even begun to discover life in our oceans. There are A LOT of unknown species down there.
    I agree. It'll be interesting to see what we find down there (if I live to see that day).

I remember hearing about this years ago. Absolutely frightened by the possibility of it being a living being.
    http://thingsihaveneverdone.wordpress.com
    Just started my 24/7 LoFi stream. Come listen!
    https://youtu.be/3uv1pLbpQM8

10+ Year Old Account
    Behind you, what I'm not? Then who's this person I'm behind?
    It's Crab People scheming their ultimate plan for world domination, through use of My Little Pony and children's tears.
    Last edited by Pud'n; 2011-10-28 at 06:07 PM.

Nope. Just an unknown phenomena but most certainly not a 'giant unknown sea monster'
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    The evidence for leprechauns is immense - do you know how many socks dissappear on the world scale... This means that the chance of leprechauns exists is the same as them not existing - therefore you cannot deny their existence

10+ Year Old Account
    the shattering is upon us! oh no, its panda's...nvm.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    *punches ThunderBlunder in the face*

I hear the bottom of the ocean is less explored than the moon. There's bound to be some creepy-ass stuff down there.

Deleted
    I think, the ocean is more mysterious than space.

I love the Bloop Mistery!

A wild Mudkip appears!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gcsmith View Post
    Sounds like air bubble to me, maybe from one of the deep sea fractures, so one big eruption of gas followed by a couple of small ones.

Edit on the confirmation, Thats impossible, If we have no idea what made the noise how on earth do we know its living?
    It's pretty binary.

Quote Originally Posted by Providence View Post
    Nope. Just an unknown phenomena but most certainly not a 'giant unknown sea monster'
    its unknown but you know what its not?
    Isnt 10% of infinite still infinite?

Don't necro threads... There's a more recent topic here: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...t-ever-existed

If the OP happens to check this: do you have a better source than a YouTube video, specifically to back up the following claim:
    It has now been confirmed that this sound could only come from an living organism, and it's characteristics are of something many many many times bigger than anything we have discovered today.
    Everything I've read says the source is still unknown, a living organism is just one theory, and probably one of the most unlikely.

Deleted
    Murlocs maybe?

15+ Year Old Account
    A mystery that will probably never be solved due to how old it is and how we still somehow don't have the technology to see more of the ocean. I'll go with Cthulu. Or an underwater earthquake.

Deleted
    This thread was necro'd please use the other current thread to discuss this subject.