Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Menedude View Post
    sure an eye for an eye is bad because then the other guy gets pissed off takes out your other eye so then you take out his second and so on.

so in order to avoid the whole cyclical problem just go for something bigger. He takes an eye, you take his entire family including distant cousin's eyes. Something big enough that they'll be too afraid to re-retaliate.
    Eichman killed a million jews, and in the end they managed to find him and hang him. The number of people you can slaughter doesn't grant you immunity to retribution. Im not sure what is more horrific, the thought of giving into the brutality of primal vengeance and becoming an animal, or sinking into the banality of evil.
    Most people would rather die than think, and most people do. -Bertrand Russell
    Before the camps, I regarded the existence of nationality as something that shouldn’t be noticed - nationality did not really exist, only humanity. But in the camps one learns: if you belong to a successful nation you are protected and you survive. If you are part of universal humanity - too bad for you -Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

This, and only This.

Quote Originally Posted by Asthreon View Post

This, and only This.
    well u win... so whos up for nachos?
    The world was just as bad when you were young as it is today. You only see it now because of your age.

Quote Originally Posted by MechaMoose View Post
    well u win... so whos up for nachos?
    I so am up for nachos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bergtau View Post
    Parts of this thread make me laugh, other parts make me lose faith in humanity.

Quote Originally Posted by shortnugly View Post
    we have a winner folks!!!!!!!!!

---------- Post added 2012-03-31 at 04:03 AM ----------

Are you Vulcan? We are not ruled by logic. When the chips are down we are ruled by emotion
    Society isn't ruled by emotion. Society deals with emotion trying to maintain logic.

This, and only This.
    So, we're using Hollywood movies and Comic books to form our morals and values? Reaaaallly?

Quote Originally Posted by Caiada View Post
    Society isn't ruled by emotion. Society deals with emotion trying to maintain logic.
    Never underestimate the vast stupidity of people in large numbers. hell look at California, a burglar can break into a house, trip on something, break his ankle and SUCCESSFULLY sue the home owner. Basically all you can do to a burglar is ask him to leave!

Sorry if I'm a little skeptical of society...

Quote Originally Posted by shortnugly View Post
    Never underestimate the vast stupidity of people in large numbers. hell look at California, a burglar can break into a house, trip on something, break his ankle and SUCCESSFULLY sue the home owner. Basically all you can do to a burglar is ask him to leave!

Sorry if I'm a little skeptical of society...
    Blame flawed logic.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmelded View Post
    So, we're using Hollywood movies and Comic books to form our morals and values? Reaaaallly?
    I don't see how its any worse than religion or society.

Vengeance, and not being able to let things go is a very large weakness that most of us can't overcome.

Deleted
    Vengeance isn't wrong in my opinion.

It often isn't about revenge or getting even, it is about giving that person a fitting punishment as the law does not seem to do this.
    There are cases of someone raping a girl, and getting just 4 years in prison.
    You could rob someones house, and actually sue the owner if you injured yourself.
    You could kill somebody, and be out of prison in 15 years. Say a 20 year old killed another 20 year old. One of them gets to leave prison at 35 and still live the rest of their lives, the other has had that taken away from him. How is that just?

You should never do to someone else what you wouldn't want someone to do to you and I am a strong believer that Life should mean Life.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalyyn View Post
    Vengeance is a wonderful thing. Don't let anyone lie to you. We may act like we hate it, but when Harrison Ford is hunting down the man who hurt his family, and puts a bullet in everyone who even looks at him funny, who are we cheering for?
    There's a difference between a movie and real life, though. I frequently wish for the death of characters on TV shows or in movies but would never actually wish death on them in real life.

I dislike vengeance because it does more harm than good and is too relative of a thing. In the movies, we never see the aftermath of vengeance, only the initial, primal satisfaction. We also never usually see an "unequal" view of vengeance. There's also no room for repentance if vengeance is reaped.
    Last edited by v2prwsmb45yhuq3wj23vpjk; 2012-03-31 at 08:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by artemishunter1 View Post
    Why is vengence wrong? Why does the western society despises it?
    It's self indulgent?
    Personally I enjoy it.
    "Care about 'er? I love her! I'd kill everyone in the world and myself if she wanted it!"

Deleted
    I don't see how its any worse than religion or society.
    Win.

/hide

Vengeance is merely a primal urge to "get back" at someone. This usually entails less thought compared to when you would think out the situation in the entirety. It is typically viewed as not letting cooler head prevail.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalyyn View Post
    Vengeance is a wonderful thing. Don't let anyone lie to you. We may act like we hate it, but when Harrison Ford is hunting down the man who hurt his family, and puts a bullet in everyone who even looks at him funny, who are we cheering for?
    kindly speak for yourself. i don't cheer at seeing people die, be it in reality or movies.

and i see nothing good in vengeance. it's selfish and shortsighted, imo.

hate creates hate, violence creates violence, pain creates more pain.

Quote Originally Posted by Sy View Post
    I see nothing good in vengeance. it's selfish and shortsighted, imo.
    It can, and most often is. But that is not always the case.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sy View Post
    hate creates hate, violence creates violence, pain creates more pain.
    I always thought that was the point. Someone trespasses against you, and you feel like there is an imbalance. You want to set things right. To move from feeling weak and compromised, to proving to yourself and those that wronged you that you are indeed strong.

I've tried playing the pacifist, it still results in more hate and pain, but its all flowing in toward you. Those that will hurt you wont stop if you dont give them a reason to. The world pushes, you push back, ya know?

At least that's how I feel.
    "Care about 'er? I love her! I'd kill everyone in the world and myself if she wanted it!"

Quote Originally Posted by Xiaz89 View Post
    Two wrongs do not make one right
    And what do one wrong and one nothing make?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Negrido View Post
    It can, and most often is. But that is not always the case.
    guess that's a matter of definition. if it's not a personal reaction mostly based on emotions, then i wouldn't call it vengeance.
    I always thought that was the point. Someone trespasses against you, and you feel like there is an imbalance. You want to set things right. To move from feeling weak and compromised, to proving to yourself and those that wronged you that you are indeed strong.
    mhm, i agree. thing is, i just plain simply don't see causing others pain "setting things right".
    i'm not a superhuman beeing that never felt the - very natural - joy of knowing someone else who wronged me got wronged in return (by me or someone else). but those are short living emotional reactions, and i feel bad for actually adding to the pain in this world instead of decreasing it, once i take a moment and think about it.
    I've tried playing the pacifist, it still results in more hate and pain, but its all flowing in toward you. Those that will hurt you wont stop if you dont give them a reason to. The world pushes, you push back, ya know?
    guess we are at the definition thing here, again. i see punishment in the sense of showing people "that's not how you are allowed to act, don't do this, or we will make sure you regret it and don't do it again" as something that is sadly needed in human society. but i wouldn't call it 'vengeance' - besides, it actually very often doesn't work nearly as well as people would think or hope.

if you 'take revenge' not for your own emotional sadisfaction, but for an objective and logical reason like "we gotta do this, to lower the number of time someone does that", then i wouldn't call it revenge anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Mroz123 View Post
    how about one wrong and one 'right' (aka trying to make others happy and take away some of their potential pain) instead? no..?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mroz123 View Post
    Except there are alternatives to the "eye for an eye" mode of vengeance. It is wrong that that person killed somebody you care about, but it is equally wrong for you to kill somebody they care about. The proper course of action is for society to make sure the individual provides compensation for their actions, or if the action is particularly heinous, like in this scenario, that they be removed from society so that the individual is no longer a threat.