Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Silent Hill 3 is too scary

Recently picked up The Silent Hill HD collection, mainly for the purpose of reliving SH2. But then again, SH3 is also a part of the collection so I decided to try it out. Up to the apartment section of the game now, and I honestly don't feel like playing anymore. Compared to the subtle, and beautifully symbolic horror of SH2, SH3 seems to be more intent on making you feel distressed at all times playing the game. I think the worst part of the game so far that made me turn off the system for a bit to play WoW was this..

And people said SH3 was remarkably, the LEAST frightening game in the series.

10+ Year Old Account
    I remember the day my brother got SH3, I didn't sleep for a week after watching him play..
    Packers - Penguins - Gators

That's awesome. I don't see how you can find that as a negative thing. I'm totally going to buy the collection. I havn't played 3 yet.

Why is there tiny doors? Are you gonna be attacked by midgets? There is nothing scarier than being attacked by midgets.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Awfulx View Post
    That's awesome. I don't see how you can find that as a negative thing. I'm totally going to buy the collection. I havn't played 3 yet.
    Because some people are pussies. I could barely get through dead space and I'm even too scared to play bioshock >.>. I still love sh 1-3 after watching a few lps of them though.

That nursery in Dead Space 2 was very scary. The worst thing in Silent Hill 3 that I can remember is the subway. I havent played it for awhile though

10+ Year Old Account
    If you that easily scared, I would dare you to make it through Amnesia the dark descent. Challenge accepted?

Quote Originally Posted by spk View Post
    Because some people are pussies. I could barely get through dead space and I'm even too scared to play bioshock >.>. I still love sh 1-3 after watching a few lps of them though.
    How can you beat Dead Space but be too scared to play Bioshock? Horror games are not my thing at all, and I didn't find Bioshock to be remotely scary.

Wish there were more scary games out there like this...

Quote Originally Posted by Laurcus View Post
    How can you beat Dead Space but be too scared to play Bioshock? Horror games are not my thing at all, and I didn't find Bioshock to be remotely scary.
    Same, I was fine with Bioshock, didn't find it scary. Maybe if you're claustrophobic, you can be frightened of all the crushing water surrounding you.
    Once you go troll, you never reroll. -heard on cynicalbrit.com. Epic.

Quote Originally Posted by Collegeguy View Post
    If you that easily scared, I would dare you to make it through Amnesia the dark descent. Challenge accepted?
    ^ This.....

Herald of the Titans Zenotetsuken's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    I loved SH3, it was the last good Silent Hill game IMO. The one that is coming out looks like it has some potential though. I played SH3 with a buddy of mine a few times through, and decided to play through the entire game without saving (other than the save point before the last boss) it was very fun. Question OP, have you done the no pants code? It helps to make the game a little less creepy when the old guy that follows you around is in his boxers whenever you see him... Or that might be more creepy come to think of it.

Quote Originally Posted by TheWerebison View Post
    Same, I was fine with Bioshock, didn't find it scary. Maybe if you're claustrophobic, you can be frightened of all the crushing water surrounding you.
    I don't know, Big Daddies scared the heck out of me :/ Well, until I realized they wouldn't attack unless provoked.

I think the only reason Bioshock isn't all that scary is because, unless you're playing on the hardest difficulty, intentionally gimping yourself, or are really super-paranoid about the inconvenience of having to go back to a Vita-Chamber, you are a god. It's got a creepy atmosphere, some legitimately scary story elements and enemies and all that, but it still isn't survival- or -horror. Good thing for me; I can't stand any scary game that isn't RE4.

That game has even more scripted encounters than Dead Space, not to mention that hiding is too easy. Beggining is great but once you learn that monster just spawns, wanders a little and despawns, it looses its charm.

But yeah, you are right. Play it if you are EASILY scared.
    Last edited by Verdugo; 2012-03-31 at 09:43 AM.

I want to play Amnesia real real bad, just don't want to pay for it -_-

Deleted
    SH3 is by far my favorite out of the series, where 4 was my least (just so damn repetitive) You're not a true SH fan if you haven't played them all through at least once. Finish it up or you'll kick yourself in the ass for it later, it really is a great game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Burnt View Post
    I loved SH3, it was the last good Silent Hill game IMO. The one that is coming out looks like it has some potential though. I played SH3 with a buddy of mine a few times through, and decided to play through the entire game without saving (other than the save point before the last boss) it was very fun. Question OP, have you done the no pants code? It helps to make the game a little less creepy when the old guy that follows you around is in his boxers whenever you see him... Or that might be more creepy come to think of it.
    SH Downpour sounds pretty good. I read the plot synopsis and I liked it. I don't own a console so I guess I'll have to see if there's a good LP out there or something.

I don't see how the linked video was scary. A mannequin's head falls off and there's blood. So? I'm sure I'd be flipping my shit if that was real life, but it's a game... soooooo...
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by PizzaSHARK View Post
    I don't see how the linked video was scary. A mannequin's head falls off and there's blood. So? I'm sure I'd be flipping my shit if that was real life, but it's a game... soooooo...
    I was expecting something actually scary too, since most horror games actually do scare me. But that was poop.

On a somewhat seperate note, PIZZASHARK is maybe the best culmination of AWESOME + AWESOME I've ever seen in a name.

Hell no. Amnesia simply destroys your scare-factor, because if you somehow manage to finish it, nothing will ever scare you again.