10+ Year Old Account

Did Rift get better?

I just logged back into my Rift account after 6 months of not playing and it seems like the game has gotten a whole lot better. Does anyone else see this or is it just me? I was really excited about Rift at launch and pre ordered and everything but it didnt really hit me like i thought it would and was on and off for 6 months never making it past lvl 20 before quitting for what i thought was good. While im waiting on GW2 i decided to try Rift lite and i must say this game has made great strides and im having a blast!

There have been so many improvements to the game it's almost impossible to list them all.
    This thread has a good explanation of a lot of the changes: http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-gene...s-changed.html

Probably just you.

From the first Alpha till now, Rift gave me what I wanted in an MMO short of Everquest. Still among the top games I play.

10+ Year Old Account
    Can you try and tell us what you see as better, such a broad spectrum

10+ Year Old Account
    They've added a lot of stuff since launch. However, until they either completely retool or replace the worthless freaking Gamebryo engine, it's still a lackluster game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    They've added a lot of stuff since launch. However, until they either completely retool or replace the worthless freaking Gamebryo engine, it's still a lackluster game.
    Took this tonight in HK. Damn that Gamebryo engine!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tybudd33 View Post
    Can you try and tell us what you see as better, such a broad spectrum
    not really sure. I love how you chose a role at character creation now. the whole choosing each rift tree was a little overwhelming for me the first time i played. The interface seems to have improved as well. Not sure about this one but i think the leveling process is faster now too but don't quote me on that just feels that way to me.

Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    Game runs smooth as silk for me on high settings. I can push Ultra while questing. The only time I turn down settings or stutter a bit is during water rifts or certain effects heavy fights.

Seems to be doing pretty alright with the engine. Trion optimized the hell out of it a few times now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dbach713 View Post
    not really sure. I love how you chose a role at character creation now. the whole choosing each rift tree was a little overwhelming for me the first time i played. The interface seems to have improved as well. Not sure about this one but i think the leveling process is faster now too but don't quote me on that just feels that way to me.
    Given your level, I was thinking this is where you were going. It's much more beginner friendly for sure. To expand on your explanation, each class has 4 pre-defined roles. The cleric for example has a melee DPS, tank, healer, and caster DPS roles that you can use in order to help you get acquainted with how the soul system works. You also just start with all 8 souls, rather than get new ones at level 14 through questing, which was a huge pain. The pre-built souls are pretty much built for leveling content too.

Leveling does feel faster. I did notice that in Freemarch, the quest flow was much better, and they added some ports around the zones. The quests were the same, but say, rather than killing X mobs and going back to the outpost, you'll kill X mobs and go to the next, so you're not backtracking too much like you were before.

Trion basically ironed out the kinks, along with adding a lot of new content and systems (chronicles and instant adventure for example), as well as a significant revamp of the PvP system. They even added a new zone for 50s called Ember Isle.

I really did think it was a myth that players would be confused or overwhelmed with the soul system. A part of me still can't quite grasp what I read when it is mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    I really did think it was a myth that players would be confused or overwhelmed with the soul system. A part of me still can't quite grasp what I read when it is mentioned.
    Yeh, while I have a hard time imagining the freedom as a bad thing-or a hard thing-I've come to accept that there's a good chunk of people who can't manage. I'm just glad Trion is keeping the depth while essentially automating a suggestion system instead of dumbing it down as some games do.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketsurgeon View Post
    Yeh, while I have a hard time imagining the freedom as a bad thing-or a hard thing-I've come to accept that there's a good chunk of people who can't manage. I'm just glad Trion is keeping the depth while essentially automating a suggestion system instead of dumbing it down as some games do.
    Yea, very true. I am not one to give the video game audience a lot of respect as a whole. It simply blows my mind when for example a podcast mentions there were so many souls in Rift the host decided to choose none rather than other 2.

Just wowza.

Yea, very true. I am not one to give the video game audience a lot of respect as a whole. It simply blows my mind when for example a podcast mentions there were so many souls in Rift the host decided to choose none rather than other 2.

Just wowza.
    That's just silly. I mean, I can understand confusion if you're trying to get a complete understanding of them in a short period of time (which I tried and got a bit overwhelmed by), but they're straightforward enough that you can easily tell what the goal of each tree is (magic tank, AoE dmg, pet dmg, HoT healing ect.) and pick a few that will compliment your main choice and give you some low level passive buffs.

redit: Then again, games media are notoriously bad at actually playing games.

10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe its just the fact that people, me for one, are so use to a standard way of doing things that having so many options can be confusing at first. Im not saying those options are bad. Once i progress further and get a better understanding of my class and what not sure im gonna want to have those options but not starting off.

Yes. Ember Isle (New 50 zone). Hammerknell (20 man expert level raiding). Infernal Dawn coming out soon (even more expert level raiding)....Bonus PvP weekends....New Events....Seems like very much content has been added.

Yes, and it just keeps getting better. So much high quality content that is all around fun.

Rift is getting better with every new update.