Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    We can't help you more then a proper doctor could.
    But eating proper and at the right times helps sleep. Less sugar in the evening helps. Reducing stress helps. Exercise helps reduce stress and helps get you tired in the evening. By which I mean you should exercise during the day, so that you get tired in the evening.
    What works for you to reduce stress, to eat proper and to exercise, is something you'll have to figure out on your own.

---------- Post added 2012-03-31 at 08:13 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Krowz View Post
    Sorry for delayed response, just getting home from work.

-For me sex like, jump starts my body rather than makes me tired

-Laying in silence is the absolute worst thing for me, the silence causes my brain to wander. To attempt to remedy this I'll either sleep with a podcast playing lightly and I have a fan on low

-Seeing a shrink is great advice, unfortunately its difficult to schedule and is very expensive

-I think about many things, most (if not all of which) you could connect to anxiety. "what if" scenarios, things I could have done or said differently from the day, analyzing everything I can (this is most definitely a major cause of my sleep problems), and lots of other things

Thank you for all the great suggestions everyone
    I recognize the things you write. I can have severe problems with sleeping. One week can be fine, the next week a disaster.
    You might benefit from structuring your daily routines. It helps you focus and reduce stress.
    But only you can figure out what's best for you. You might have to do some therapy on yourself, so to speak. Realize what's good for you and what's bad for you, so you can get what's good and avoid what's bad. And to find the determination to do so. Perhaps to learn how to turn your brain "off".

Melatonin supplements. I'm not joking. I take about 15mg a night (you can find them in any pharmacy) and it helps me sleep like a baby. If I don't take it, I'm very much in the same boat as you. It's done wonders for me. It may be worth a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Noomz View Post
    We can't help you more then a proper doctor could.
    Absolutely, but having a healthy discussion could be beneficial for myself and anyone else who has sleep issues and reads these forums. So far people have made great responses and I would be foolish not to be open to good suggestions. I believe you are right about exercise, and I think a problem for me is inconsistency. I try to jog 3 days a week, but some weeks its only 2, some weeks only 1, some weeks 4 days, etc etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    Try this; take a 30-1h jog followed with a (warm) shower/bath and 2-3 beers. Always does it for me. Not something to do every day. But it could help you get back back into a more normal sleep rhythm.

Quote Originally Posted by Catharlex View Post
    Melatonin supplements. I'm not joking. I take about 15mg a night (you can find them in any pharmacy) and it helps me sleep like a baby. If I don't take it, I'm very much in the same boat as you. It's done wonders for me. It may be worth a shot.
    I've never had this suggested before, but it could be worth a shot. Thank you for the suggestion, I'm going to look into this tonight

It maybe sounds strange, but it sometimes help me to listen to someone who is wispering. You might want to check that out! Keep the volume low, so you're focussing on the wispering, wich makes you loose your thoughts.

http://www.youtube.com/user/StrawberryWhisperer

If you can't sleep because you have anxiety and think about things constantly then that could definitely be one of the main problems. This occasionally happens to me as well and won't be able to fall asleep for 2+ hours after going to bed. Honestly, you just have to try and force yourself to think about something else not stressful and focus on it. Also I've tried just focusing intently on my breathing and nothing else so my mind doesn't wander and that usually works well also.

It's possible to get away with sleeping 2 hours a day. There are several articles that outline this sleeping pattern and it could help you. Since you already have a problem with sleep, it shouldn't be too much of an issue to train yourself. Since you only actually get rest during your REM cycle, which lasts roughly 30 minutes at a time, the rest of your sleep is actually unnecessary. What you do is break your sleeping pattern up into 4 half hour naps a day. As long as you keep to that regimen, you'll be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Krowz View Post
    I've never had this suggested before, but it could be worth a shot. Thank you for the suggestion, I'm going to look into this tonight
    http://www.amazon.com/Natrol-Melaton.../dp/B001HCOFMO

I used to use this, tasted horrible but worked.

Quote Originally Posted by Kreyzor View Post
    If you can't sleep because you have anxiety and think about things constantly then that could definitely be one of the main problems. This occasionally happens to me as well and won't be able to fall asleep for 2+ hours after going to bed. Honestly, you just have to try and force yourself to think about something else not stressful and focus on it. Also I've tried just focusing intently on my breathing and nothing else so my mind doesn't wander and that usually works well also.
    When my brain decides to keep trolling me when I try to sleep I start reading a boring book (documentaries and biographies work great) and I am sleeping within minutes, also playing pokemon makes me fall asleep even when I do not want to, but I have had times where it took me hours to sleep until I started counter trolling my troll brain with boring shitty e-books.

Find stick. Place stick on head. Move stick with mind.

Wake up with stick stuck to back.

Repeat.

But in seriousness. They say stimulating the brain will make sleep harder to achieve. But it's the opposite for myself.

I play some puzzle games on the phone or try and figure out how to replicate certain phrasing from songs i like on the guitar/Ukulele.
    Last edited by Mancowski; 2012-04-02 at 12:17 AM. Reason: Smart Ass off

10+ Year Old Account
    lurking in the bushes outside of your window.
    I wish I had better advice, I suffer sleeplessness from time to time. But that's just some of my minor bipolar issues slapping me around. When I have trouble sleeping it has to do with my mind still running wide open. I try to do something to dull my brain activity, I know that is stupid, but it works for me most of the time.

Few glasses of wine, a beer or two. Some times white noise helps, or some boring history channel stuff/miltary channel stuff. Just to allow my mind to relax and grasp on something other than the 5 million things it normally does. Masturbation does the trick for me sometimes as well. Reading a book until my eyes get heavy helps sometimes. And a routine is always helpful. I had a shrink tell me to lay in bed for 30 minutes, and do nothing but try to doze off. if that didn't work, he told me to get up and do something for awhile.

I hope this helps in some way, good luck my friend.

10+ Year Old Account
    Prescription: Wall

Direction.
    Step 1. Take face
    Step 2. Slam into wall.
    Step 3. Receive sleep.

Side effects may include pain, bleeding, bruising. In several studies, in small cases causes comatose.

But in all seriousness, when I end up having sleep issues, I end up taking a weak-ish allergy pill (cause sometimes allergies do annoy the hell out of my sleep) but its the drowsiness that helps me sleep. Melatonin helps some people sleep, I haven't really needed it, but it helps for my parents.

Maybe turn on some quiet music, podcasts may not be the best, but some quiet soothing music or what not.