Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Intel Ivy Bridge

hi there

i been reading on a few forums links below on the release date of the new ivy bridge cards not seen any recent posts about this. i just would like to hear some feed back from you guys

http://us.generation-nt.com/intel-iv...s-3465751.html
    Last edited by Dudejoss; 2012-03-31 at 12:13 PM.
    Intel i7 2600k | NZXT Havik 140 | Asrock Z77 Extreme4 | 3x Liyama E2407HDS(5760x1080) | Intel 520 Series 120GB
    2x EVGA GTX 690 SC Signature 4096MB in SLI | 16GB Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 2133 | CoolMaster HAF X

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I think for anyone who already owns Sandy Bridge (K series only) - their best bet would probably be to just maybe perhaps buy a motherboard from this series - I might, but my 2500K is perfectly fine. This is only if they were already thinking of the upgrade, the benchies show that Ivy CPUs are not much different from Sandy CPUs, however a Z77 motherboard might be a nice upgrade, especially for those of us hanging around with good ol' P67 boards.

I know I've been dying to replace my plain old P8P67....
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

ye i am running a intel i7 950 so i am getting a major upgrade for my pc

looking at getting 2x msi gtx680's and a nice new asrock z77 mobo and a new intel i7 3770k processor
    Intel i7 2600k | NZXT Havik 140 | Asrock Z77 Extreme4 | 3x Liyama E2407HDS(5760x1080) | Intel 520 Series 120GB
    2x EVGA GTX 690 SC Signature 4096MB in SLI | 16GB Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 2133 | CoolMaster HAF X

Deleted
    Looks promising. I am not only concerned with the actual clock speeds and benchmarks, but also the lower TDP. Even though many won't care about it, for huge datacenters etc reducing power use with 10 - 20% is actually a GREAT improvement and might reduce prices from various products over time. It's also good for the environment and may reduce the global energy crisis a bit..

Oh what the fuck am I saying. 6 GHZ here I come!

Quote Originally Posted by noteworthynerd View Post
    ahhhhh sorry did not look that far back my bad

I'm surprised everyone isn't screaming like children and blindly hating on Intel for releasing such a lackluster chip in terms of performance over the previous generation. You know... like they did when AMD did the exact same thing.

I'm not directing this at anyone in particular at all, just find it interesting. Regardless, with such poor gains, expect AMD to rush piledriver to the market as fast as possible. It might just be their generation to shine.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    I'm surprised everyone isn't screaming like children and blindly hating on Intel for releasing such a lackluster chip in terms of performance over the previous generation. You know... like they did when AMD did the exact same thing.

I'm not directing this at anyone in particular at all, just find it interesting. Regardless, with such poor gains, expect AMD to rush piledriver to the market as fast as possible. It might just be their generation to shine.
    from what i have been readin it still looks like intel is on top unless you have info showing otherwise

10+ Year Old Account

lol. Well, if you think about it, this is merely a die shrink and for the most part we all expected not much of an improvement - whereas AMD hyped up Bulldozer like it would be the second coming of Jesus, remember that? Then it fell flat on its face. While Ivy Bridge is not a huge *improvement* (notice my word choice there, because Ivy Bridge is the same architecture pretty much as Sandy Bridge and same socket) over Sandy Bridge, no one has really been expecting it to be one, nor has Intel touted it to be some great revelation - the most they've done is said how much of an improvement Ivy HD 4000 integrated graphics would be, which they are, unlike AMD hyping up Bulldozer and then having it not even be as good as Phenom II X6 1100Ts... which is pathetic.

I do hope that AMD turns around with their Ivy Bridge equivalent, Piledriver, and shows a big improvement over Bulldozer, because Bulldozer was supposed to be a Sandy Bridge equivalent - which it hardly was.
    "A flower.

Quote Originally Posted by Dudejoss View Post
    from what i have been readin it still looks like intel is on top unless you have info showing otherwise
    What? Where did I say they weren't?

If you actually read the post, I simply said Intel is leaving AMD a wide open opportunity for Piledriver to take the crown. Just as they did years ago.
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

You have probably heard of the "Tick-Tock" system. Big upgrades (1st gen SB to 2nd Gen SB) are "ticks", followed by an optimization of that technology (Ivy Bridge) which makes it more efficient - bit more oomph while consuming less power - that kind of thing, being the "tock".

So IB is not really a "new generation", I'd maybe compare it to an 18 year old teenager (sandy bridge) who can do loads off stuff really quickly, turning into a 22 year old who, now he has the experience of the last 4 years, can do the same amount of work but gets it done slightly faster while expending less effort (ivy bridge).

Ivy Bridge is a "tock" in Intel's Tick Tock Model, no one was expecting anything revolutionary... I'm honestly surprised it increases performance as much as it does...

Butler beat me to it.

Ivy Bridge is a "tock" in Intel's Tick Tock Model, no one was expecting anything revolutionary... I'm honestly surprised it increases performance as much as it does...

Butler beat me to it.
    even this tock beats my i7 950 hand downs so oh well XD

Butler beat me to it.
    IB is a tick, not a tock.

Either way, with the exception of Nehalem/Westmere, there were always considerable gains from die shrinks.

For example: http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/53?vs=49

build pics

Herald of the Titans Sephiracle's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

I assume you've never heard of the 'tick-tock' have you
    LoL: Kr1sys
    WoW:'06 - '11 '14-?' : Krisys - Blood/Frost DK | Sephiracle - Arms/Prot Warrior | Sephyx - Shadow/Disc Priest | Petergriffin - Huntard

10+ Year Old Account
    IB is a tick, not a tock.

Either way, with the exception of Nehalem/Westmere, there were always considerable gains from die shrinks.

For example: http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/53?vs=49
    It is actually in fact, a tick+, because of the HD 4000 graphics being such an improvement.

Instead of posting random benchmarks of years-old hardware, post some articles.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5626/i...w-core-i7-3770
    "A flower.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    It is actually in fact, a tick+, because of the HD 4000 graphics being such an improvement.

Instead of posting random benchmarks of years-old hardware, post some articles.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5626/i...w-core-i7-3770
    I said it was a tick... Also, pointing out previous tock-tick performance gains is rather relevant considering the context.

build pics

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    I think for anyone who already owns Sandy Bridge (K series only) - their best bet would probably be to just maybe perhaps buy a motherboard from this series - I might, but my 2500K is perfectly fine. This is only if they were already thinking of the upgrade, the benchies show that Ivy CPUs are not much different from Sandy CPUs, however a Z77 motherboard might be a nice upgrade, especially for those of us hanging around with good ol' P67 boards.

I know I've been dying to replace my plain old P8P67....
    Wasn´t it saif that Ivy Bridge CPUs are going to fit on the Sandy Bridge Sockets?

Quote Originally Posted by Sephiracle View Post
    I assume you've never heard of the 'tick-tock' have you
    If you had any type of reading comprehension, you would see that I have.

build pics

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Talime View Post
    Wasn´t it saif that Ivy Bridge CPUs are going to fit on the Sandy Bridge Sockets?
    Yes and I didn't say it won't, I simply said I'd personally upgrade my motherboard for the added benefits of newer tech.
    "A flower.