Deleted

Prevent the use of multiple guilds

Hi

I have been looking around the net for some info on this, but I can't seem to find any.

We know guild members can join multiple guilds if they want to and I really like this idear. But does anyone know if there are also an options to prevent your guild members to use that feature? My guild has a very strict rule about not playing with other guilds, but with 100+ members looking forward to GW2 we can't really control if people do it anyway.

Why would you care?

Quote Originally Posted by Bibihest View Post
    Hi

I have been looking around the net for some info on this, but I can't seem to find any.

We know guild members can join multiple guilds if they want to and I really like this idear. But does anyone know if there are also an options to prevent your guild members to use that feature? My guild has a very strict rule about not playing with other guilds, but with 100+ members looking forward to GW2 we can't really control if people do it anyway.
    No, there is currently no way to prevent your members from joining other guilds.
    Likely because such a feature would be extremely silly.

Guilds are basically chat rooms, telling someone they're not allowed in any chatroom but yours is just silly. Like telling someone they can ONLY play in your server in an FPS game, regardless of how many people are currently on it. But that's not for me to decide, I guess, it's for you guys to.
    Either way, such a feature is not currently in the game and I should hope never gets added.

Edit: Oo, oo, I thought of another comparison,
    it's like telling your friend to choose between being friends with you or someone else, and that he's not allowed to be friends with both. I always hated people like that. The only time those words came across someone's lips to me in my life, I told them that regardless of what my 'choice' would be, I did not want to be friends with someone who is that petty. They took it back a couple days later. Oh Jr.High School, you so silly.
    Last edited by Delias; 2012-03-31 at 05:25 PM.

I'm sorry, but if for whatever reason I was told I could not join any other guilds, I would say screw you and goodbye.

That is rather silly. Now, myself, I stick to one guild. But that doesn't mean that others absolutely should or have to.

Instead of trying to prevent people from joining guilds, i would add something which makes sure that people are active within your guild.

Our guild charter states:

We expect our members to add to the community not just reside and hang their hat in it. We want socially adept folks with a genuine interest in being here that display some sort of presence. We are casual however this does not imply that its ok to sign on here then go underneath the radar for months. Get to know people, hop in vent, be active in guild chat and on the boards. Be part of the community and we'll call you one of 'us'.

If people are too busy within other guilds, they won't be able to meet these requirements and thus won't be a good addition to our guild.

I do find it stupid to prevent people from joining other guilds, I would only encourage the idea.

Guild Leader of Imperium in GW 2

I suspect that stunts like that are a good way to end up with an empty guild.

Herald of the Titans Snow White's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    He just wanted to know if it was possible, no need to rag on the guy..

No OP, that is not currently allowed in the game as far as I know.

Deleted
    Well it has worked great for our guild for 10 years now. We have over 300 members in different games, so I really don't care why everyone think it's silly or whatever. That wasn't the question.

I'm not saying no one should be able to, but I guess SOME guilds would like the option for whatever reason.

Deleted
    Eh, I dont know if I'll be in that many guilds. My main one is going to be my current "all-games" guild, but I might dabble in others.

Not allowing people in multiple guilds would merely splinter the server community, which isnt what theyre going for at all. What better way to meet people?

Quote Originally Posted by Delias View Post
    No, there is currently no way to prevent your members from joining other guilds.
    Likely because such a feature would be extremely silly.

Guilds are basically chat rooms, telling someone they're not allowed in any chatroom but yours is just silly. Like telling someone they can ONLY play in your server in an FPS game, regardless of how many people are currently on it. But that's not for me to decide, I guess, it's for you guys to.
    Either way, such a feature is not currently in the game and I should hope never gets added.

Edit: Oo, oo, I thought of another comparison,
    it's like telling your friend to choose between being friends with you or someone else, and that he's not allowed to be friends with both. I always hated people like that. The only time those words came across someone's lips to me in my life, I told them that regardless of what my 'choice' would be, I did not want to be friends with someone who is that petty. They took it back a couple days later. Oh Jr.High School, you so silly.
    Lots of Jealous guys are like that - even with just friends.

I agree though, this is really silly, borderline mean thing to do to your members.

Quote Originally Posted by Snow White View Post
    He just wanted to know if it was possible, no need to rag on the guy..

No OP, that is not currently allowed in the game as far as I know.
    Sorry, it just feels too much like the "Pick between that person or me as your friend!" thing from my post earlier,
    so it angered me, as those are the kind of words that no one should say, ever, in my opinion.
    And the whole completely PREVENTING them from doing it instead of just asking them not to and conversing with them seems ridiculous to me as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    No, and it would be a bad idea. Here's why:

I've been in the same guild in wow for over 3 years. I've always been loyal with everyone there and, if I recall, only had a real problem with ONE member. None the less, during that time, I also made toons with which I joined different guilds, to meet new people and have a feeling of community with my server. Never my GM spoke to me and told me it was inconceivable to do that -- in fact, she did that with her leveling toons for a long time. Finally, after three years, the guild finally disbanded for good. And you know what? A lot of the remaining players joined another guild with the same peeps and started from 0, again.

If I had to stick with only one guild, at one point I would've left for good. When I play a game, I play it to have fun and discover people, new zones, new content, explore. If you tell me "you have to work with these people all day and you cannot go anywhere else", you can just be sure I won't stay. I'm supposed to have fun, after all.

Deleted
    I think people are looking to much at the word "prevent" that I used. It's not like our guild is a dictatorship or anything. We have a very social guild I was just wondering if it could be controlled somehow thats all

People are free to play the game as they want, all we ask is to dedicate their time with the rest of their guild. Don't really think that's unfair to ask.

I think people are looking to much at the word "prevent" that I used. It's not like our guild is a dictatorship or anything. We have a very social guild I was just wondering if it could be controlled somehow thats all

People are free to play the game as they want, all we ask is to dedicate their time with the rest of their guild. Don't really think that's unfair to ask.
    So ask, do not force. :P
    Put it in your MOTD, something.

Herald of the Titans Snow White's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

You don't have to justify yourself to anyone here. You're free to run your guild however you see fit.

Deleted
    Organize some fun guild events > he wont have time to login in other realms/guilds
    Last edited by mmocd9c65c8d53; 2012-03-31 at 06:01 PM.