Thread: Evolution?

Evolution?

Who here accepts evolution? Who here does not? If not - why not?

Please only contribute scientific sources. Answers in genesis, creation ministries international, evolutionnews etc are not valid sites and will not be considered due to their habit of being bad at science and quote mining everything.

---------- Post added 2012-04-01 at 08:51 AM ----------

And answers in genesis IS a website. Not a knock on someones religion* (Run by Ken Ham)

Evolution is a fact just like the fact that the earth orbits around the sun... Just because a lot of people don't accept it because it contradicts religion doesn't make it any less true. people are just butthurt that their precious imaginary friend makes no sense.

Awkward moment when you try 'liking' a post and then realize this isn't facebook...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Verzen View Post
    Awkward moment when you try 'liking' a post and then realize this isn't facebook...
    Another awkward moment: When your reading a magazine and glance down to the bottom right corner to check the time.....

10+ Year Old Account
    Their is no way to win this arguement. Either a person understands science, or they dont.

/darwinfish.jpg

You guys are gonna make creationists afraid to come out of the woodwork. =(

Evolution is one of the well established and well tested theories in all of modern sciences. Just because many people don't understand it and some people don't like it doesn't change that fact. There is no controversy here.

Also I'm fairly certain this'll get locked.

You guys are gonna make creationists afraid to come out of the woodwork. =(
    Good.
    Last edited by semaphore; 2012-04-01 at 09:11 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever the Regent-Lord needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by nameuser View Post
    Evolution is a fact just like the fact that the earth orbits around the sun... Just because a lot of people don't accept it because it contradicts religion doesn't make it any less true. people are just butthurt that their precious imaginary friend makes no sense.
    I believe this. It takes the world right out of my mouth.

I know right?

Deleted
    I just with they were right, so Gravitation Theory was "just theory" and they would float the f**k away.

They would lock a thread about science? Sad.

Also Grimord - You totally stole that from Tim Minchin!

Quote Originally Posted by nameuser View Post
    You know something? Whenever people talk about evolution or religious matters alike, I'm bombarded with anecdotes, but never any solid evidence. I might come to accept one or the other if only there were solid proof.

You're no less guilty of clinging to your unfounded beliefs than any other.

If evolution were as unfounded as many of these people believed - pretty much no medicine would have been safely tested prior to releasing to the public.

Like said before, evolution is a fact, like how we circle the sun. The difference is we understand evolution almost entirely, We don't understand gravity *at all*. We have 3 different set of rules for it depending on size.

Deleted
    They would lock a thread about science? Sad.

Also Grimord - You totally stole that from Tim Minchin!

I did. SHAMELESSLY.

Woot ! Finally someone to talk with!

Ryve - How can you reconcile your 'belief' that evolution has no evidence with ERV's, chromosome #2, genetic similarities cytochrome C, homology and vestigial organs like our stunted caecum?

Quote Originally Posted by Ryve View Post
    You know something? Whenever people talk about evolution or religious matters alike, I'm bombarded with anecdotes, but never any solid evidence. I might come to accept one or the other if only there were solid proof.

You're no less guilty of clinging to your unfounded beliefs than any other.
    Watcha want to know?

http://evolution.berkeley.edu/evolibrary/article/evo_01 Here's a pretty good place to start.

Evolution happens all the time, even now. For example a virus that adapts to a fight against a vaccine or antiviral drugs. That's evolution. Can't deny that it doesn't exist.

I accept evolution, those that don't, watch this video, it's an excellent explanation of the basics and shows the ridiculousness of the places that say it means that a single chimpanzee or ape will instantly mutate into a human. It does all of this without specifically insulting religion, while evolution debunks and disagrees with the 'creation story', it does not make any claims whatsoever that there is no god or gods (God?).

You're just jealous because the voices are talking to me!

Deleted
    Closing this thread as it is not likely to stimulate any constructive discussion. And as already displayed, religion is bound to be invoked or ridiculed, it is not a topic which is allowed to be discussed on these forums.