Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Shadow Priest Mists of Panderia

Hello, I am a Shadow Priest who has not been on the scene for too long as I am a Wrath baby. I did however fall head over heels in love with being a shadow priest since Cata launched. I am proud to call my priest my main I do not want people to comment on this saying you have no right to talk since I have not been playing since Vanilla because I do as much research into my class as possible to be able to compete as a DPS class. I may not have as much experience as some Shadow Priests that have been playing since then (I even know that shadow sucked in Vanilla, except PVP) but I still enjoy my class.

As a hybrid I love being able to help heal in an intense progression fight where a healer falls and I pop Divine Hymn to save the falling tank or use Hymn of Hope to give the healers mana when they are going out. They are completely taking one of the best hybrids in the game and making them a pure DPS class. Why must we become what warlocks are now?

I am also shocked to see that they are ruining multidotters in Mists. They have removed our DP and I am sure they are going to change VT before Mists comes out. They got rid of some warlock dots for some specs and changed Insect Swarm. We wont be able to compete in single target fights without some of our main dots and will be lost to the melee and hunters. Just because on multi-target fights we shine does not mean we should lose them all together.

ZOMG !! The sky is falling !!
    /end of sarcasm

Should you by any chance already have a Beta for MoP, we'd love some stuff to backup your "sky is falling" statement.

Otherwise, it is WAY TOO EARLY to draw any conclusion for MoP, especially when it comes to the state of our DPS.
    Hell, they could even remove ALL DoTs except SW:P, if they balance us around having only 1 DoT.

They are completely taking one of the best hybrids in the game and making them a pure DPS class. Why must we become what warlocks are now?
    Clearly you are a WotlK's child. Would you have played in BC, we were THE best utility class ever (we were very efficient mana bar re-fillers) but our DPS was clearly abysmal (the best of us were struggling to pull 60% of a good mage's DPS). Now we have competitive (well if you're good you should never be far from top) DPS and our utility has gone down. Makes sense to me.

As a hybrid I love being able to help heal in an intense progression fight where a healer falls and I pop Divine Hymn to save the falling tank or use Hymn of Hope to give the healers mana when they are going out.
    Now, while I understand (and totally agree) for the 2 hymns (they can indeed save the day in several occasions), I daresay that if you are in an Intense Progression Fight, if you have to get out of SF to heal cause one of your healers is dead, it WON'T save the day. Intense progression fights as you say, are intense and progression because they are at the limit of the group capabilities. Hence if you lose a group member and can still down the boss, it isn't an intense progression fight but an easily farmed content. Just call it a wipe, kick the butt of whoever's fault it was the healer dying, and pull again, this time to kill.

Deleted
    Actually, the removal of DP increases our multidot damage. Since, you know, DP is single target, and now a dot we can spread around at will, becomes more powerful.
    And we don't need to keep up empowered shadows anymore as well, which means again more multidot damage.

The loss of divine hymn isn't that harsh, it's rather weak as spriest in the first place.
    Maybe the loss of permanent vampiric embrace is a little irksome, but the resulting cd makes sense, as in we can "dps harder" over a short duration and actually contribute more group healing in tight situations without dps loss.

Quote Originally Posted by Obnoxian View Post
    Actually, the removal of DP increases our multidot damage. Since, you know, DP is single target, and now a dot we can spread around at will, becomes more powerful.
    And we don't need to keep up empowered shadows anymore as well, which means again more multidot damage.

The loss of divine hymn isn't that harsh, it's rather weak as spriest in the first place.
    Maybe the loss of permanent vampiric embrace is a little irksome, but the resulting cd makes sense, as in we can "dps harder" over a short duration and actually contribute more group healing in tight situations without dps loss.
    Even though VE is now 3mins cool down, its use now is similar to Divine Hymm. You heal the raid with 50% damage you do on single target for X seconds. This mean we won't be popping out of Shadowform, and yet able to help heal. I love this change, but I do not know how much it will heal in raid. I actually would love to see the heal also become smart heal such as healing those with lowest health.

The removal of DP and Empowered shadow are not a bad thing. The SW:Pain now does instant damage and about 2x more damage. A lot of the talents we are getting may not sound "exciting", but what it actually gives us option to choose talent that won't make or break our dps. For instance, Twist of Fate vs Divine Insight. Twist of Fate makes you dps even more when target below 20%. Divine Insight makes your MB to proc (alot) Shadow of Death which make your SWD dps as the target were below 20%. For boss fight in which you have a burn phase at 20% or lower, Twist of Fate maybe ideal. For fight in which there's a very steep dps check, Divine Insight maybe ideal. Then there's Power of Infusion, which I think pvp will find it rather useful. Divine Insight also could be very useful for pvp situation as well.

Overall, I think blizzard does stick to what their "plan", i.e. to make it easier to play, but harder to master as you have to pick and choose the situation to use the spell correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by Mattachine View Post
    Even though VE is now 3mins cool down, its use now is similar to Divine Hymm. You heal the raid with 50% damage you do on single target for X seconds. This mean we won't be popping out of Shadowform, and yet able to help heal. I love this change, but I do not know how much it will heal in raid. I actually would love to see the heal also become smart heal such as healing those with lowest health.

The removal of DP and Empowered shadow are not a bad thing. The SW:Pain now does instant damage and about 2x more damage. A lot of the talents we are getting may not sound "exciting", but what it actually gives us option to choose talent that won't make or break our dps. For instance, Twist of Fate vs Divine Insight. Twist of Fate makes you dps even more when target below 20%. Divine Insight makes your MB to proc (alot) Shadow of Death which make your SWD dps as the target were below 20%. For boss fight in which you have a burn phase at 20% or lower, Twist of Fate maybe ideal. For fight in which there's a very steep dps check, Divine Insight maybe ideal. Then there's Power of Infusion, which I think pvp will find it rather useful. Divine Insight also could be very useful for pvp situation as well.

Overall, I think blizzard does stick to what their "plan", i.e. to make it easier to play, but harder to master as you have to pick and choose the situation to use the spell correctly.
    They moved DP's heal to VT as well, if I remember the tooltip right, something to keep in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Purple View Post
    They moved DP's heal to VT as well, if I remember the tooltip right, something to keep in mind.
    They actually moved both DP and VE to VT, more or less. Currently DP heals for 15% damage done and VE heals for 6% damage done. In MoP, VT will heal for 50% damage done. Further, I believe there was also a post, either from the press tour or a blue, somewhere to the effect that VE will be changed to a cooldown, and we're also gaining Vampiric Dominance.

If anything, self healing through damage is getting a buff in MoP, not a nerf.

In regard to other changes, the changes look to be:

1) Basic rotation going from four button (VT, DP, MF, MB) to three (VT, MF, MB), but gaining two procs that allow use of SW and MS
    2) Losing several heals, being left with only PW:S and FH
    3) Gaining several survivability cooldowns (mostly a PvP issue)

Overall, shadow priests are become less hybrid-like in that they're losing some ability to drop form and heal, but they're also gaining abilities to compensate.

In regard to DH, I doubt we'll get anything quite on the level of that spell, but how much depth did that really add to begin with? I've been raiding as heals, so I honestly don't know. Did it make you feel all warm and hybridy inside to have to drop form and channel DH on H Madness platform 4, or was it just annoying because it forced you to stop doing damage?

Quote Originally Posted by Maleric View Post
    They actually moved both DP and VE to VT, more or less. Currently DP heals for 15% damage done and VE heals for 6% damage done. In MoP, VT will heal for 50% damage done. Further, I believe there was also a post, either from the press tour or a blue, somewhere to the effect that VE will be changed to a cooldown, and we're also gaining Vampiric Dominance.

If anything, self healing through damage is getting a buff in MoP, not a nerf.
    1) VE heals 15% of damage done (pre MoP it was already 6% through VE)
    2) The 6% on all damage of is gone
    3) Vampiric Dominance got removed

Unless we use the VE-CD, our selfheal will be worse than it is now.

In regard to other changes, the changes look to be:

1) Basic rotation going from four button (VT, DP, MF, MB) to three (VT, MF, MB), but gaining two procs that allow use of SW and MS
    2) Losing several heals, being left with only PW:S and FH
    3) Gaining several survivability cooldowns (mostly a PvP issue)
    1) No. 5 Buttons will be basic rotation: VT, SW:P, MB, MF and Shadowy Apparition. If talented, you can go up to 7 buttons with the MS and SW:Smiley procs.
    2) Binding Heal and Renew is in our toolkit.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaesebrezen View Post
    1)

1) No. 5 Buttons will be basic rotation: VT, SW:P, MB, MF and Shadowy Apparition. If talented, you can go up to 7 buttons with the MS and SW:Smiley procs.
    If you talent the MS (glyph with Mindmelt), your MB won't proc Shadow of Death for your SWD. It's only the hard cast MB that will proc from Divine Insight.
    Last edited by Mattachine; 2012-03-26 at 01:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaesebrezen View Post
    1) VE heals 15% of damage done (pre MoP it was already 6% through VE)
    2) The 6% on all damage of is gone
    3) Vampiric Dominance got removed

Unless we use the VE-CD, our selfheal will be worse than it is now.

2) Binding Heal and Renew is in our toolkit.
    As far as rotations go, SW:P is only really part of the 'basic' rotation if it doesn't automatically refresh. According to the official talent calculator it still does auto refresh, is this different in beta? And how are shadowy apparitions part of the rotation? Do you need to hit a button for them?

As for self healing, the official calculator still lists VT at 50% and includes Vampiric Dominance? Assuming beta changes are different?

If you talent the MS, your MB won't proc Shadow of Death for your SWD. It's only the hard cast MB that will proc from Divine Insight.
    If i take the MS talent, my MB will still have it's casttime. Only if i talent MS and glyph Mind Melt, my MB will be instant.

And that an instant MB doesn't proc Shadow of Death is more likely a bug than wanted. The talent reads "when your MB deals damage".

is this different in beta?
    The auto refresh is gone.
    Do you need to hit a button for them?
    SW:P and MB generate Shadoworbs when cast, Shadowy Apparition consume them. It's an instant cast that spawns 1 apparition for each orb consumed, you can have up to 3 orbs.
    Assuming beta changes are different?
    VT is at 15% and Vampiric Dominance was replaced by a "coming soon" talent.
    Last edited by Kaesebrezen; 2012-03-26 at 01:59 PM.

My gripes with the cd version of Vampiric Embrace is that it seems balanced for PvE, where it will be strong for sure. The CD is however very long for PvP, the damage you can dish out is much lower, and in a large team (5v5, BG) the healing received could get really puny.

I really would like to see a spell like the raven birds from the shadow raven priest in wrath in Dragonblight and in Ice crown area. I believe it was Onslaught priest that had this effect or spell. Maybe even a glyph for that would be nice. Shadow priest need some loving after all the things they are losing <3 if not the spell maybe a Glyph that looks like the ravens for the place of the orbs which remind me of shaman.

Divisirae, we get the point now about your ravens. It's hardly needed to spam the exact same post in every topic that handles beta details

Quote Originally Posted by Marcith View Post
    As a hybrid I love being able to help heal in an intense progression fight where a healer falls and I pop Divine Hymn to save the falling tank or use Hymn of Hope to give the healers mana when they are going out. They are completely taking one of the best hybrids in the game and making them a pure DPS class. Why must we become what warlocks are now?
    Shadow priests will still be far from pure DPS. We will still have flash heal, binding heal, and renew, VE is becoming a healing cooldown (and i'm unsure about Vampiric Domination as it's off the current talents). There is also Void Shift which could come in handy to save a tank or someone else who is low on health and if a druid uses symbiosis on us we will be able to use Tranquility.

Nice arguement u have there. DP can't be use on multiple targets anyway. How does removing DP change anything about multi dot?
    DP heal is merged with VT
    and initial damage of DP is merged with Pain. Pain gives orb. and u can use the orbs for SA. If anything your mobile dps and multi dot damage will increase.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcith View Post
    Hello, I am a Shadow Priest who has not been on the scene for too long as I am a Wrath baby. I did however fall head over heels in love with being a shadow priest since Cata launched. I am proud to call my priest my main I do not want people to comment on this saying you have no right to talk since I have not been playing since Vanilla because I do as much research into my class as possible to be able to compete as a DPS class. I may not have as much experience as some Shadow Priests that have been playing since then (I even know that shadow sucked in Vanilla, except PVP) but I still enjoy my class.

I am also shocked to see that they are ruining multidotters in Mists. They have removed our DP and I am sure they are going to change VT before Mists comes out. They got rid of some warlock dots for some specs and changed Insect Swarm. We wont be able to compete in single target fights without some of our main dots and will be lost to the melee and hunters. Just because on multi-target fights we shine does not mean we should lose them all together.
    Last edited by Rosenstolz; 2012-03-27 at 02:48 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Maleric View Post
    As far as rotations go, SW:P is only really part of the 'basic' rotation if it doesn't automatically refresh. According to the official talent calculator it still does auto refresh, is this different in beta? And how are shadowy apparitions part of the rotation? Do you need to hit a button for them?

As for self healing, the official calculator still lists VT at 50% and includes Vampiric Dominance? Assuming beta changes are different?
    It's a safe assumption that anything posted by Blizzard about a Blizzard game is incorrect, please use the fan websites for accurate sourcing - they have a development team of like 13 people, we have 13 million fans - if you said that 12 million of them are only fact-checking (by reading things that may or may not be wrong), that still leaves 1 million of us who are devoted to getting the most accurate information. Fans > Devs
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Karei View Post
    Divisirae, we get the point now about your ravens. It's hardly needed to spam the exact same post in every topic that handles beta details

Honestly if you don't care to read what I post then skip it Karei.. no need to be rude to me. I feel the desire or need to spam it, because that is my thoughts, then I shall spam it. Have a blessed day <3:

Quote Originally Posted by Devisirae View Post
    Honestly if you don't care to read what I post then skip it Karei.. no need to be rude to me. I feel the desire or need to spam it, because that is my thoughts, then I shall spam it. Have a blessed day <3:
    no, that's not how it works.

Besides the SWPain spell increased, VT also get improved quite a bit. Both of these are on my spell tool tip.

VT currently with my gears: 37779 damage over 15.74s.

VT in beta: 58914 damage over 13.97s.

15+ Year Old Account
    Besides the SWPain spell increased, VT also get improved quite a bit. Both of these are on my spell tool tip.

VT currently with my gears: 37779 damage over 15.74s.

VT in beta: 58914 damage over 13.97s.
    o.O same gear set? The weird bit to that is that you don't have darkness on beta - so your spell haste should be lower - which makes me think you were in different gear, that your spellpower may be much higher?

That is an Enormous jump in damage. Wow.
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter