Deleted

Lightbulb Will the next generation of consoles launch without optical drives?

Now with media being easily downloadable and essentially everything you can find in-store being available online. Do you think think that there's still a need for optical drives on consoles? It would really not be that hard for people to download games via Xbox Live and the Playstation Network.

Especially now with the video game industry's crackdown on piracy and second-hand games. The games downloaded from online networks would instantly be validated and piracy would become much harder, if not impossible. Of course some people are against this, and some for it.

Also, the actual price of the games could go down if packaging, shipping and so on and so forth were removed from the video game industry. Technically, a publisher/developer would have more money to spend on the actual game if less was spent putting it in a fancy package and shipping it to Gamestop.

Lastly, I believe the probability of this happening depends on a cooperation of sorts between Sony and Microsoft. If Xbox 720 launches with an optical drive then Sony will probably follow suite, as the risk when doing it alone would be considerably higher. I'd assume Microsoft has more to gain from this, with the Xbox Live being pretty far ahead of the Playstation Network. Sony might not be so eager after the PSN hack.

It might also be important to note that the Nintendo Wii U is launching with an optical drive, making this whole scenario less likely. Though I'm not quite sure if Sony and Microsoft still even consider Nintendo competition, or even factor Nintendo into their decision making processes.

Do you think that the next generation of consoles will launch with optical drives?

Deleted
    Highly doubt it, Having an optical drive on a console allows for them to sell it as a dual function item. After all which would you rather buy A games console, or a Games console / home entrainment system which allows blu-ray discs to be used.

Deleted
    We are not that far yet. There are still many countries in the world where internet speeds aren't up to scratch, or where such a connection in order for this to work, just costs too much for the average consumer. Besides, considering the size of some games these days, are you really up for downloading 20 GB in order to play a game?

Give it 10 more years orso.

Besides the only reason why Microsoft is considering to go without optical drive (if the rumors are true) is because Blu-ray is a sony-based product. Why do you think Microsoft still hasn't incorporated a blu-ray drive in the latest editions of the Xbox 360?
    Last edited by mmocfce925a786; 2012-04-01 at 01:59 PM.

Its possible, but not likely. The functionality an optical drive brings to a system is far to great to leave out nowadays. Games them selves my not need to use the drive but that is also unlike likely as many people, and I do know a few, either don't connect their console to the internet or don't have the bandwidth to be able to download and 80gb game.

10+ Year Old Account
    I hope I explode or the world explodes long before systems are purely download for games.

Considering how much PC gaming has been taken over by Steam (ok and origin but EA can go die) and the fact that most of the parts of the world with decent connections (the west and far east) already have decent connections there's a fairly good chance for microsoft to monopolise where the games are sold. While it would suck for consumers as a business being able to funnel all your customers through a single shop is where it's all likely to end.

Short of legal action anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille
    I knew it would be useful to be french at some point.
    Quote Originally Posted by xxAkirhaxx
    just get a mac. It's like sleeping with a fat chick to avoid STD's.

I see it trending that way I'm not sure the infrastructure is in place for it atm. The console manufacturers and software developers/publishers have alot of motivation for something like that. It cut's down on overhead and the loss of money from used games sales which they hate.

Yes they will have optical drives, info has been leaked.

The issue right now is that they want to digitally assign a game to a console when you put it in.....

Which means say you borrow your friend's game... you would only be able to play it as a demo unless you unlocked it via purchase.

Interesting take they have on not making money from the used game market, but I think they will be kicking themselves in the ass if they follow through with this idea, since you will pretty much be stuck with a game once you buy it and you will have to buy one to play it. Angry consumers are NOT something I would mess with and ANGRY GAMERS are most certainly not the bear I would poke as a Big Entertainment company.
    Quote Originally Posted by Komie View Post
    They still say Cata needs a lot of work, and this expansion (edit for reference: MoP) is in the final stages.
    Quoted for... truth? on 11/30/2011.