Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
5
... LastLast
  1. #41
    I am Murloc! Sy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Somewhere Blue.
    Posts
    5,195
    Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    Are you really prepared to give up everything you worked for just for the sake of not gaining an ally?

    I highly doubt you are :3
    we weren't talking about beeing allies, he wants to make everyone his "puppet" and do them what he wants them to do, regardless of their own views and believes.
    so yes, yes i'd prefer beeing dead over beeing someone's mind-slave (at least if i disagree with the reasons and goals of that person).

    @_@

  2. #42
    The Insane DrakeWurrum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Isle of Faces
    Posts
    15,040
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobsagget View Post
    Right now? Unfortunately not, Guild Wars lore isn't as open as Warcraft Lore. I can make it realistic, but it's a fantasy game
    You're... joking... right? =\

    Guild Wars lore is just as open.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

    If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

  3. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by Bearcrest View Post
    I was hyped about typing in my back-story. But that reply just ruined it all, and the greatness of this thread.
    D'aww, don't let that stop you.
    I'm not allowed to have a preference? I simply like the Charr lore more than the other races. :P
    I've been reading all of them, but as I said, I like the Charr lore the most.

  4. #44
    Bloodsail Admiral Cuchulainn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    On the Exodar, lecturing Neophytes.
    Posts
    1,058
    Oh! Oh! [/raisehand]
    I love RP and I do have a general back-story for my Charr Warrior, Rethmar Stokeblaze:


    Rethmar was born to the Blood Legion and quickly climbed his way out of his fahrar at a younger age than most. His battle prowess was noticeable to say the least. He then moved on to Soldier rank and was assigned to Warband Stoke. Usual duties included patrolling any given section of Charr boundaries for months on end. Attacks on other inhabitants that even remotely seemed like they were encroaching on a Charr village, town, etc. And "taking care" of any hostile Gold Legion bands.

    In a matter of a few years Rethmar had seen many battles. More than he should have for such a short time being in his Warband. Soon his Legionnaire would pass away from being old and battle-worn. Stoke didn't even finish burying their Legionnaire before arguing over who would take his place. It was decided that the two strongest would fight in the Gladiatorial ring to decide, lest their Centurion decides for them. The match came down to Rethmar and Hrev.

    Rethmar is a different kind of Charr though, and is usually laughed at or shunned for his form of battle. He prefers an honorable, fair fight versus dirty tactics and senseless slaughtering. Many say he fights more like a weak Human, or puts too much thought into battles like the mousy Asura. Though no one really has the luxury of seeing a Human or Asura, the comparisons are still accepted as fact among his brothers in arms. However, for the first time Rethmar's honor would become his downfall.

    It was a quick battle between Rethmar and Hrev. Rethmar had disarmed Hrev's blade and because of his honor, Rethmar decided to halt his next attack until Hrev retrieved his blade from the ground. With a quick roll and unsheathing, Hrev had a dagger in Rethmar's belly in a matter of seconds. Hrev had become the new Legionnaire and Rethmar had become a new patient at the nearest infirmary.

    Upon returning to his Warband, Rethmar noticed many of his comrades had become distant. They were disappointed in him, and only spoke to him when they had to. It almost felt as if giving an opponent a fair chance was a crime. Hrev didn't make the situation anymore pleasant. His cockiness grew, and with it grew the irritation of the other Soldiers. Social exile had its' perks, though. Rethmar was able to find a certain peace, and focus his skill in future battles without discouragement from his peers.

    Some years passed, and Rethmar grew ever more distant from Stoke. Then one day orders came quickly; they were to raid a Gold Legion encampment before they had time to move any further into some Iron Legion territory. Stoke attacked at dawn and killed every Gold Legion warrior that stood in their way. But this wasn't a war encampment they were ordered to destroy, it was a small band of travelers who were actually moving AWAY from Iron Legion territory. There were even women and cubs, oddly enough. The battle nearly ended, and a few questions later the last opponent was silenced. Hrev wasn't content with just their warriors dead though. He wanted the women and cubs dead too. The order was it eliminate the ENTIRE encampment. Hrev decided it would be fitting for Rethmar to carry out this task.

    Rethmar refused the order, roared at the women and cubs to stand behind him and drew his great sword. Hrev was absolutely furious and ordered Stoke to kill Rethmar and the rest. It was treason, after all. So be it. The killing of women and the young was beyond unacceptable to Rethmar.

    There was so much time in that seclusion. Rethmar wasn't only honing his skill in battle, but also observing his comrades. He was finding all of their weak points, all of their falters, everything that made them vulnerable in combat, even Hrev's. He made quick work of everyone who stood before him. Even though it wasn't a fair battle, by his standards, of course. Thirteen Charr fell before his paws, and the coward Hrev finally made his move, hoping Rethmar would be weak enough to take on alone at that point. Rethmar was, but he knew how this battle would turn out. Hrev was always very predictable in battle.

    Again, Rethmar disarmed him, and again Hrev rolled and tried for a cheap shot. Hrev made contact, but this time Rethmar plunged his giant blade through Hrevs neck.
    "You know, Hrev, I should have done this back in the ring. You were armed, after all. Now you die, and my honor is still intact. I'll see you in the underworld, you cowardly mouse! And the rest of Stoke too!"
    And with a swift motion Hrev's head rolled to the ground.

    Rethmar turned to the Gold Legion Charr behind him and he tossed his great sword to the strongest one he saw, Assuring them that it would be days before the incident was found out. He then challenged anyone to attack him in vengeance for slaying any one of their husbands. With no replies Rethmar took to the west, grasping his stomach in pain. He would deal with it this time. He was stronger.

    He had heard of a city made of ships. His old comrades called it Lion's Arch.
    It sounded nice.

    [edit]: yes, I know. I totally suck at writing.
    Last edited by Cuchulainn; 2012-04-04 at 04:30 AM.

  5. #45
    I am Murloc! Mif's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Tarnished Coast
    Posts
    5,629
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodhunter View Post
    Ramona Dreamstealer
    But... if you steal my dreams... and I only dream about my cookies...


    OMG mah cookies D:

  6. #46
    Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post
    But... if you steal my dreams... and I only dream about my cookies...
    OMG mah cookies D:
    Don't worry bud. I plan to have a character who's last name is Dreamweaver

  7. #47
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuchulainn View Post
    -snip-
    I enjoyed reading that, cub.
    I look forward to see who wins in battle.
    Honorable and just, or powerful and relentless.
    I'll even consider giving YOU the honor of not bringing my warband, gladium.

  8. #48
    Fluffy Kitten Bloodhunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    the Netherlands
    Posts
    2,338
    Quote Originally Posted by Sy View Post
    what if i take my own life before you can?
    One soul less to worry about.

    ---------- Post added 2012-04-04 at 12:06 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post
    But... if you steal my dreams... and I only dream about my cookies...


    OMG mah cookies D:
    omnomnomnomnom, your dreams are tasty, I'll let you stay as you are. I might need your cookies to persuade my enemies.

    Tomoko Eternal Life, Kilik Eternal Sun, Eira Frozen Hearted, Ashara Emberlight,
    Vuug The Deceiver, Grash Gravebuilder, Asgaut Divine Soul, Lera Dreamstealer

  9. #49
    The Patient Bearcrest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Shiverpeaks hut - Aalborg, Denmark
    Posts
    205
    Quote Originally Posted by Delias View Post
    D'aww, don't let that stop you.
    I'm not allowed to have a preference? I simply like the Charr lore more than the other races. :P
    I've been reading all of them, but as I said, I like the Charr lore the most.
    Okey then I won't let that stop me =)

    The Bearcrests past
    (Bear in mind that English is not my main language, so grammar and commas etc. may not be “correct” – I should maybe not have made commas but meh, I did).

    In the farthest corners of the northern part of the Shiverpeak Mountains, even farther than Borlis Pass, where there now are water and ice peaks, lies the past of the Bearcrests, and a memory of peace.
    The great storm that hundreds of years ago shook the ice asunder, and left the Bearcrests with only a dozens of survivors, however, they have never forgotten their reminisces or their true instinct from within. They then scattered around the lands and only a handful of them made it to what is now known as Hoelbrak - This is what has been told generation after generation, at the camp fire of the Bear lodge, by Gunvald [the old-Nordic name is Gunnrwarr and also my lastname, It means War-lord or similar. I don’t know the English name for it] Bearcrest, whom is the spiritual leader of the Bearcrest's and the eldest in the Bear lodge. He and his grandson, Vincavec “Vin” Bearcrest, are the only remaining of the Clan in Hoelbrak.

    At a young age Vin became chosen by the Bear spirit, as his parents was slayed by bears during a great-hunt. Or at least that’s how his grandfather interprets it. Despite being orphaned at a young-age Vin grew up as a happy lad and he cares strongly about his old grandfather, though at times they had their disagreements.

    Vin is a known face in the lodges, and in the moot-hall and often goes there for a “good-night” drink or two. He often joins the great-hunt and gets reminded of his past, however he doesn’t believe in destiny, he means that one self holds your own actions in your hands, and that the fire-within yourself brings forth your own path. However Vin has always had a feeling of being lonely, but never complained about anything. He is a respected fighter or “hunter” in the lodges, as well as a known face when it comes to battle and his many scars proves this.

    Recently Vin has had a feeling of fire boiling within him, a warm feeling, a feeling that makes him happy and it all happened when he literally stumbled upon a kind female Norn in the moot-hall, he spilled the pints and the ale was dripping off her clothes as he looked into a pair of beautiful eyes, a feeling of belonging.
    Last edited by Bearcrest; 2012-04-06 at 08:29 AM.
    I'll break this curse, if there is such thing as peace, then I will seize it! I will never give up!

  10. #50
    Dreadlord Matrone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Under your bed >:)
    Posts
    870
    Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    You're... joking... right? =\

    Guild Wars lore is just as open.
    I think they mean that you cannot make up as much as you can in wow, where your character has no story in game at all, and so you can choose everything pretty much. In GW the voice and past of your character is multiple choice in the char creation so you do not have as much freedom however it affects the game much more.

    'And all will burn beneath the shadow of my chin'

    Deathwing

  11. #51
    Fluffy Kitten Bloodhunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    the Netherlands
    Posts
    2,338
    Quote Originally Posted by Matrone View Post
    I think they mean that you cannot make up as much as you can in wow, where your character has no story in game at all, and so you can choose everything pretty much. In GW the voice and past of your character is multiple choice in the char creation so you do not have as much freedom however it affects the game much more.


    Guild Wars Lore =/= Personal Story.

    Tomoko Eternal Life, Kilik Eternal Sun, Eira Frozen Hearted, Ashara Emberlight,
    Vuug The Deceiver, Grash Gravebuilder, Asgaut Divine Soul, Lera Dreamstealer

  12. #52
    Bloodsail Admiral Cuchulainn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    On the Exodar, lecturing Neophytes.
    Posts
    1,058
    Alright, it kind of goes like this guys:

    Every human in WoW starts off in Elwynn Forest, correct? Yes. However, just because your character starts off there doesn't mean you have to put that in your RP background. I'm almost 100% certain many RPers in GW2 will ignore the earlier parts of another persons Personal Story Journal. Assuming you can inspect their journals/share journals.

    So don't be afraid to mix things up and go apeshit with your background. Variety is the spice of life.

    ---------- Post added 2012-04-05 at 11:08 AM ----------

    I love your story, Bearcrest. It's funny that you say your english is not that great, but you're able to put together a nice little background. Here I am --a guy who took English 101A and 101B in college-- and I still suck at writing a decent story. Good job. It was an interesting read. BTW, is Gunnwarr your last name in real life, or just your character's?

    I'm thinking that there needs to be an official RP background thread.

  13. #53
    I am Murloc! Sy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Somewhere Blue.
    Posts
    5,195
    Quote Originally Posted by Matrone View Post
    I think they mean that you cannot make up as much as you can in wow, where your character has no story in game at all, and so you can choose everything pretty much. In GW the voice and past of your character is multiple choice in the char creation so you do not have as much freedom however it affects the game much more.
    that's somewhat true, but actually your character is involved in a lot of story in wow too, you just don't notice it because it's only in the form of quest texts. you may not have any restrictions in character creation itself, but as you go through the quest lines, your character gets pumped full of lore

    the difference is that it's usually not used in roleplaying in wow, because it's much less immersive, and because it would be stupid to have every character have the same story. in gw2 and similar games, you feel more restricted by the personal story, because it creates a good roleplaying atmosphere, not because there actually is more strict character-story.

    @_@

  14. #54
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuchulainn View Post
    I'm thinking that there needs to be an official RP background thread.
    I made this one trying to be open to RP backgrounds for RPers and people who may not actually RP but still have a bit of a story thought out (like me!)
    I kind of want to think of a very short story for my 2nd main, though..
    I'm thinking it will help me decide what profession I want to play.
    Since it's a pretty close race between necro and mesmer, at the moment.

  15. #55
    The Insane DrakeWurrum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Isle of Faces
    Posts
    15,040
    Quote Originally Posted by Matrone View Post
    I think they mean that you cannot make up as much as you can in wow, where your character has no story in game at all, and so you can choose everything pretty much. In GW the voice and past of your character is multiple choice in the char creation so you do not have as much freedom however it affects the game much more.
    Funny, I wasn't aware that the game decided upon your entire character history based on multiple choice...

    Oh wait, it doesn't. :|

    As you can see with my own character's story earlier in the thread, there's a LOT of leeway.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

    If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

  16. #56
    Bloodsail Admiral Cuchulainn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    On the Exodar, lecturing Neophytes.
    Posts
    1,058
    Quote Originally Posted by Delias View Post
    I made this one trying to be open to RP backgrounds for RPers and people who may not actually RP but still have a bit of a story thought out (like me!)
    I kind of want to think of a very short story for my 2nd main, though..
    I'm thinking it will help me decide what profession I want to play.
    Since it's a pretty close race between necro and mesmer, at the moment.
    I agree that this thread is nice though, because now a lovely discussion has sprung about if even creating a background is useful or not, since ANet "chooses for you" in character creation. I think it doesn't matter, and what you create in your head will always override what is on your character sheet. Just because my Black Guard in D&D wears an amulet of Cyric doesn't mean he worships him. He actually worships Bane and the amulet is worn to mock his god's rival.

    So even though I'll be picking Blood Legion for my Charr, it'll only signify that he was -at one point in time- part of the legion. I will also consider any Charr encounters (NPCs) in-game to be non-canon to my character's personal story. I'm actually really hoping ANet will give us the option to delete journal entries and/or alter them. As well as give us room to write our own journal entries. I'm also hoping for a section that allows us to write our own background. Some would say this takes away from the purpose of the journal, and personal story as a whole, but to me it only adds depth for those of use who would call ourselves true RPers. If they don't allow that, then I'll just have to change my stance on addon support in hopes someone will create a useful tool similar to MyRolePlay (MRP) which can be found in WoW.

    Lastly, I'd go necro. That's just my preference, though. Until ANet gives us the option to turn butterflies off and change spell effect colors, then you wont see me playing one.

  17. #57
    I am Murloc! Sy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Somewhere Blue.
    Posts
    5,195
    i actually like the challenge of using what the game is giving me and making a somewhat creative and unique character story out of that.
    i used the character creation tool for all of my rp stories.

    @_@

  18. #58
    The Insane DrakeWurrum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Isle of Faces
    Posts
    15,040
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuchulainn View Post
    I agree that this thread is nice though, because now a lovely discussion has sprung about if even creating a background is useful or not, since ANet "chooses for you" in character creation. I think it doesn't matter, and what you create in your head will always override what is on your character sheet. Just because my Black Guard in D&D wears an amulet of Cyric doesn't mean he worships him. He actually worships Bane and the amulet is worn to mock his god's rival.

    So even though I'll be picking Blood Legion for my Charr, it'll only signify that he was -at one point in time- part of the legion. I will also consider any Charr encounters (NPCs) in-game to be non-canon to my character's personal story. I'm actually really hoping ANet will give us the option to delete journal entries and/or alter them. As well as give us room to write our own journal entries. I'm also hoping for a section that allows us to write our own background. Some would say this takes away from the purpose of the journal, and personal story as a whole, but to me it only adds depth for those of use who would call ourselves true RPers. If they don't allow that, then I'll just have to change my stance on addon support in hopes someone will create a useful tool similar to MyRolePlay (MRP) which can be found in WoW.

    Lastly, I'd go necro. That's just my preference, though. Until ANet gives us the option to turn butterflies off and change spell effect colors, then you wont see me playing one.
    They just need to make Gladium an option.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

    If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

  19. #59
    Bloodsail Admiral Cuchulainn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    On the Exodar, lecturing Neophytes.
    Posts
    1,058
    Quote Originally Posted by Sy View Post
    i actually like the challenge of using what the game is giving me and making a somewhat creative and unique character story out of that.
    i used the character creation tool for all of my rp stories.
    But with other MMOs that only goes as far as how your character looks. In some cases it goes a bit further, but not much.
    SWTOR doesn't count [/stubborn].

    I like the option too, and many parts of the Character creation tool will define my character quite well, but some parts wont. Such as picking a Warband buddy, and what Legion I'm from.

  20. #60
    See, the thing is, my 'second main' (almost all of my alts, actually) will be female.
    Actually, pretty much all of my alts will be female.
    I like having a big strong warrior type male, then a female for.. well, everything else.
    Say what you will, but I definitely prefer female casters, rangers, and thieves.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •