Deleted

Building upon Ruins of Surmia[EU] - unofficial International English server

This is community building project started at GW2 guru. I will post this here so that all wonderful people on MMO champion have also change to see and consider this option. For those still seeing Ruins of Surmia as Spanish server be assured that Spanish communities are now more than happy to roll on the official Spanish server, which is Baruch Bay[ES].

In the light of some of the recent pre-launch server choice notions and related with it issues among the community I think it's a good idea to start building upon Ruins of Surmia. We have an opportunity to start a wonderful community here and it's only up to you if you'd like to join us and become a part of what could end up being a great neighborhood.

Why Ruins of Surmia? Well, here's why:

1. What we'd like to do is populate a server that might otherwise end up being a ghost town. There are some servers that seem to have a big chance of becomng very populated (if not over-populated) in a short time after headstart and it'd be great of we could balance that out. Jumping on the bandwagon to join the most popular servers might be a really bad idea at the end of the day. PvE areas may become overcrowded to the point where some of the people will have problems with server lag and client-side performance issues. WvWvW queues will probably become unbearable. In the meantime servers like Ruins of Surmia might be empty-ish, making the players run away from them, which will only further develop the imbalance. We'd like to avoid that.

2. Some of the servers are being claimed as unofficial "insert non-English language here" servers. There's a huge portion of the community that wishes to find a place to stay where English is the predominant language, even if it's not their mother-tongue. Right now the official unofficial "UK servers" are the ones that we feel will become overcrowded, hence we chose Ruins of Surmia as an "international English" server. We'd like the majority of the community there to be able to communicate with ease so we agreed on English as the main language.

Now, if you want to play with an English-speaking community on a "growing" and not "overcrowded" server come join us in Ruins of Surmia. If your guild or alliance has still not decided on your server of choice or perhaps you'd like to move away from the crowds, we'll welcome you in Ruins of Surmia.

To help highlight Ruins of Surmia as an English-speaking server with actual people on it head over to http://www.asuralabs.com/serverPoll.php and declare your presence there and http://www.gw2guilds.org/guilds/eu/ruins-of-surmia to register your guild or alliance there. Remember - we'd like to stick with English as the predominant language here.

Let's start building upon Ruins of Surmia.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd be up for it, but I've heard that latency is better if you pick a home server specifically for your region. If you're in the US, or if you're not in Europe (i.e. South America, Australia, China), you get better latency connecting to the US home servers/datacenters than to EU. And vice versa for those in Europe. :<
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-08-20 at 05:58 PM.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    I might suggest this to my guild. We're not a big guild, but every little bit helps.
    Resurrected Holy Priest

Ill stick to Whiteside Ridge, but good luck!

I'd be up for it. Was thinking of Desolation before, but it seems a lot of people are going to end up there.

10+ Year Old Account
    My friends and I are going Gandara for now, but we might change perspectives.

Deleted
    We have now 20 guilds, when this all started yesterday RoS had 4 guilds. Things are looking good.

Those that are still hesitant to join, give it a try. Keep in mind that if it feels empty, you have free server changes in the beginning.

10+ Year Old Account
    There needs to be an unofficial English-only server for the US, too. Not to bash on other nations or languages or races, but I just don't want to end up on a server where there's tons of people speaking a language I don't understand, just because being non-European puts them into the US datacenters. :<
    Happens in LoL enough, I don't want it here, too.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Deleted
    I think I will try this server and the rp server Piken Square in the first week, and see where I like it best.