Can't install Diablo 2

Getting itchy for D3 I wanted to play through D2 once more (no beta club) but couldn't find the CD's anywhere so I re-purchased it from Blizzard online. Downloaded fine and the installer pops up and says "play diablo" - not "install diablo" but play. I shrug my shoulders and click play - NOTHING HAPPENS! I click "manual" and "support" it just gives me a link to the appropriate websites. There is also "uninstall" but that does nothing as well. It's very frustrating as I could have just torrented it and it would be working by now. I opened a ticket to Blizzard yesterday but they haven't answered it. Also i can't post in the diablo 2 or diablo 3 forums to ask there for help.

Can anyone offer any advice?

10+ Year Old Account
    Are you sure you installed it? Try going into C drive and see if there is a launcher or execute file from there you can click. If you didn't have to enter your cd key, then you prob haven't installed it properly.

I never installed it. That's my point. It think's it's installed for some strange reason. The only files are the install directory with the installer.exe and the .mpq files.

Usually happens when you haven't taken a game off your computer correctly and then down the road when you try to install it again it thinks its still installed. Have you had it on your computer before?

Fresh Windows 7 install 4 weeks ago.

---------- Post added 2012-04-02 at 10:45 AM ----------

oh wow, I just checked the windows registry, an old diablo 2 game directory on my old HDD (just a storage drive now - which was never properly wiped) is listed in their. Gonna delete and try running the installer again.

---------- Post added 2012-04-02 at 10:49 AM ----------

Installing now, thanks for the pointer :-)