Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ...
6
7
8
  1. #141
    Stood in the Fire Xenlol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    399
    Quote Originally Posted by Eowenn View Post
    Why call it Guild Wars if they are taking out GvG? Thats lame...
    Thanks for proving that you can't, or refuse to read, and know nothing.

  2. #142
    On topic of hard countering in GvG, I always used one brilliant example of how GvG's complexity allowed you to outplay opposition even when completely hard countered in semi-finals of a worldwise tourney.

    Not sure if it's on youtube, I watched it in observer mode several times when it was available. GW first worldwide tourney, LuM vs WM, matchpoint. LuM had a build that was designed to hard counter that which WM ran. Mesmers with panic (back then panic was AoE hex that game -2 energy regen and did almost 100 damage when using signets) which meant that WM's standard "warriors who are nearly independent of the group" approach back then was simply hard countered. Then LuM proceeded to slaughter WM's monks, putting one to 60 death penalty and all signets used and hard res unavailable (WM didn't run with hard res back then). Victory?

    Nope. WM outplays LuM 100:0 with one monk on positioning, pushes them into base with only one monk and warriors who can't regen and have problems healing themselves with healing signets, secure morale boost, get their last monk up and go to win the game and go into the finals. It was a brilliant case of more skilled but hard countered team winning the game.

    Lesson of the story? If you think you were hard countered, play better. You can still win. That has always been the main attraction of GvG. Sure, less skilled would have a good chance of winning against you with a hard counter build, but you always have an option to try outplay regardless. And koreans often did, their tenacity being a thing of legends.

    That is also why most of the really good teams played balanced builds on top of the ladder. It gave you most tools to outplay opposition. There were more powerful builds all the time, but they tended to be one trick ponies that could do nothing when outplayed.

    EDIT: narration link with builds and screens to the game in question: http://www.gw-memorial.net/builds/pastSeasons/GWWC/19/
    Official narration from arenanet (much worse then fan based but official). http://guildwars.com/competitive/gww...3_lumvswar.php
    Last edited by Lucky_; 2012-07-14 at 11:11 PM.

  3. #143
    Quote Originally Posted by Jigain View Post
    I think you're not understanding what the word fact means. Fact means that there's a basis for the thesis (commonly called a "source") to be cited when stating said fact.
    Oh damn you internet and your witty toasters. /wrist

    Quote Originally Posted by Jigain View Post
    "and it is a fact that it didn't was even close to playable"
    This is false. I even have facts to back this up; this random YouTube video clearly shows GvG being played. Hence, it was playable (in case you've missed it, "playable" is made of the words "play" and "able", or in other words, "able to be played").
    Christ, I worded that horribly - true. I deserved that :P. It is the fact that it was very poorly balanced - in every large GvG tournament people were using only 2 comps with almost no variations. And when you have millions and millions of possible combinations of skills and only 2 are used it means you have flawed system -> unbalanced.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jigain View Post
    Facts are not facts because you say "this is a fact". Facts are not facts because you say "I feel this is a fact". A fact is not a fact until it matches one of two criteria - either it has to be common base knowledge that everyone should know (such as the sun is hot, or water is wet), or it has to be backed up by evidence.
    Everything I said about CoD it is common knowledge. You may not be familiar with it as very possibly you don't follow FPS games - it's ok, everyone likes different things. But few minutes with google (much shorter amount of time than what you have spent on your post) would tell you it's a simple truth. New CoD is a flag example of what's wrong with gaming industry (and players): the more dumbed down, less innovative and streamline game is - the better it sells.

  4. #144
    Herald of the Titans Jigain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    2,718
    Quote Originally Posted by Creepjack View Post
    Oh damn you internet and your witty toasters. /wrist

    Christ, I worded that horribly - true. I deserved that :P. It is the fact that it was very poorly balanced - in every large GvG tournament people were using only 2 comps with almost no variations. And when you have millions and millions of possible combinations of skills and only 2 are used it means you have flawed system -> unbalanced.

    Everything I said about CoD it is common knowledge. You may not be familiar with it as very possibly you don't follow FPS games - it's ok, everyone likes different things. But few minutes with google (much shorter amount of time than what you have spent on your post) would tell you it's a simple truth. New CoD is a flag example of what's wrong with gaming industry (and players): the more dumbed down, less innovative and streamline game is - the better it sells.
    I'm still not seeing any credible sources...

    Also, common base knowledge was defined in my post as well. It was even defined in you quoting me. Something that everyone should know; base knowledge; examples being that the sun is hot and the water is wet. Something that you could head out on the street, ask random strangers about, and always get the same answer. If you ask people about Call of Duty's budgets and realism, you would not be able to get a constant definitive answer from it.

  5. #145
    No GvG??? Wtf?
    This was seriously the best thing GW1 had going for it and I assumed it would be a part of GW2 from day 1. Just preordered it this morning and I stumbled upon this thread. Verrrrry disappointing

    I had some great times with past guildies and the sense of comradery was what made the game unique. A loss was tough but a win was exhilarating even if you weren't a part of the elite top 100 guilds. Really hope this gets implemented...

  6. #146
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenas View Post
    Am i only concerned about GvG in Guild Wars ?

    Guild wars has always been based on Guild vs Guild
    I stopped reading there. Sorry.

  7. #147
    In gamescom interview Aidan Taylor answered on one important question:

    Q: Will there be Guild vs. Guild fights in GW2?
    A: We didn't named our games Guild Wars without a reason...

    So yeah there will be guild vs. guild when they make it after release

    Source (in polish): http://guildwars2.com.pl/gamescom/
    Last edited by Blamtu; 2012-08-23 at 07:02 AM.

  8. #148
    Didnt they already say they will implent GvG but it wont be there for launch?

  9. #149
    Quote Originally Posted by StabsYoFaces View Post
    Didnt they already say they will implent GvG but it wont be there for launch?
    Yup but this info is latest-ish ?

  10. #150
    Quote Originally Posted by Blamtu View Post
    Yup but this info is latest-ish ?
    ops my bad didnt see your post above mine XD

  11. #151
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenas View Post
    I loved to spend hundreds of hours in my Guild Hall having fun with my guild mates planning and configuring a lot of team aspects guild wars offers,
    Has anybody heard what the guild housing will be like? a building? an airship?

  12. #152
    The Lightbringer Durzlla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    3,650
    Quote Originally Posted by MrSerious View Post
    Has anybody heard what the guild housing will be like? a building? an airship?
    Itll be a guild hall, I'm assuming, like in GW1, it'll be on an island.
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

  13. #153
    The Insane DrakeWurrum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Isle of Faces
    Posts
    15,020
    Nobody knows.

    I personally hope for airship.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

    If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

  14. #154

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •