Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Anyone else waiting until after launch before joining?

Like many others here I've been following Guild Wars 2 for years now.

I'm as excited as anyone about finally getting to play this game after so many delays.

Yet I've experienced my fair share of MMOs to know that the first week of a new MMO is rarely as much fun as one hopes. Server queues (even with their special system), stressed hardware, lags and disconnects, overcrowded questing zones etc. can all be rather stressful.

Granted, GW2 has introduced many mechanics to alleviate these issues but they'll exist non the less.

So I'll be holding out on the first week if I can help myself?

Is anyone else doing the same or are you all starting asap?

10+ Year Old Account
    ANet has shown to actually be very good at making their servers work, and they've been pushing really really hard on stress tests (unlike a certain other "big name" game that doesn't do much stress testing before releases). Overflow shards make queues a non-issue (it works AMAZINGLY well - if you're in a group with friends, they can just move to the overflow shard with you).

I can understand holding out for overcrowded zones, though.
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-08-23 at 03:45 PM.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Crowe View Post

I'm as excited as anyone about finally getting to play this game after so many delays.

Yet I've experienced my fair share of MMOs to know that the first week of a new MMO is rarely as much fun as one hopes. Server queues (even with their special system), stressed hardware, lags and disconnects, overcrowded questing zones etc. can all be rather stressful.

Granted, GW2 has introduced many mechanics to alleviate these issues but they'll exist non the less.

I think the servers will handle the rush of people just fine. The overflow system prevents any queues. So even if you server is full, you can still play the game. I'll agree that the starting zones will be full of people, thank god as long as you participate in events, you get full credit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nah the servers will be perfectly fine. But, I will be waiting until the morning when I'm good to go to play all day. The only reason I will log in at 12 (or 3) is to get the names I want for my characters.

I can't resist the urge to play. I must do so as soon as possible!

I'll be playing as soon as possible. I played in the last BWE and all the stress tests so far and I haven't seen anything that would make me want to wait any longer. The gameplay was smooth, graphics were stellar, and I didn't disconnect once. If that's any indication of what launch will provide, BRING IT ON!!! I'm sure not everyone had the same experience as I did, there were lots of people having issues, but I'm betting that ANet will address what they need to give their players a smooth launch.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, I think I will be waiting a couple of days, and just grab an old-school box from the store around the corner. If I will get one, I'm unsure.
    Sing like no one is listening - Love like you've never been hurt
    Dance like no one is watching - Masturbate like no one else is on the bus

No way I can hold back now, I've waited ever since they announced the game.

However, release couldn't come at a worse time for me. With graduate school, work, coaching, all of that starting up this week and weekend leaves me hardly any time to play games.

Through all the BWEs and stress tests I never had a "typical" issue and I don't suspect they'll magically appear. Remember, you get credit for stuff even if someone else is doing it. Just gotta be proactive and break the "kill-stealing" mindset.

Launch comes but once for a game. Sure, it's great to have hesitations about how launch will go (was anyone really surprised with the D3 launch, for example?) but with their systems in place, it's less likely for there to be a disaster. And if you already know you're going to be getting it, and the only reason you're waiting is to avoid the launch problems, I'd say it's silly: let yourself be pleasantly surprised, and if it doesn't go smoothly, well, it's a launch (and you expect that anyways).

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.

I'm far more worried about actual bugs in content. If GW1 and BWE2 and 3 high level zones are of any indication, we're going to see bug hell of GW1's underworld's proportions.

Server structure is essentially same as in GW1, just that we players don't get a front end to control where we end up. That means it scales with player numbers very well, and we are unlikely to have significant trouble beyond instance crashing, which you will always be able to recover from by simply rejoining and getting assigned to different instance of the same zone.

About the only weak point in server structure lies in log-in servers. They're the main single point of failure.

I think I'm actually going to give GW2 a shot. I played WoW for a very long time, DAoC, EQ, EQ2, SW:ToR, DDO, AoC, LotR:O and pretty much anything else that has been released. I did play GW for a short while a long time ago but it was during my stint with WoW so it took a back seat. I'm kind of intrigued by how good it looks as well as the options for players (Engineer sounds fun as hell).

I also really like that there's no subscription. That is definitely something I am glad I got rid of. Stopped playing D3 as well because after 2 level 60's, I couldn't stomach any more of the same stuff.

Looking forward to some new adventures in GW2!

I'm doing the head start, so the servers shouldn't be that bad. On GW2 launch day, I'll probably be checking out the new WoW patch (which may well be worse), so that should put me back on GW2 a week or two after the big rush.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky_ View Post

About the only weak point in server structure lies in log-in servers. They're the main single point of failure.
    It's the bottleneck of every single online game, no way around it I guess.

Deleted
    I'll start as soon as headstart kicks in. However, if it turns out to be too laggy, lots of queues or just generally too busy, I'll come off and wait until off peak times.

I want to play it, but I have plenty of other things I can be doing instead.

10+ Year Old Account
    Friday night..

11:59PM ..

it begins

11:59PM *Click*..
    12:00AM *Click*..
    12:01AM *Click*..
    12:02AM *Click*..

Twitter: @EsmeraldoC

10+ Year Old Account
    I am, certainly. Skip the launch issues, skip the lines, wait for the bad news to come out.....that and the fact that I'm broke until pay-day, which is the 28th!
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

15+ Year Old Account
    Unfortunately, most of launch is coinciding with a four-day trip we're taking... I'll probably have enough time just for character creation before I have to pay attention to things like sleeping so I don't die of exhaustion while in the car for ~15+ hours. So I'll miss the initial rush... I'll be happy just to create one character. My fingers have been aching to play with all those sliders. :O
    You will find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

I would be extremely pleasantly surprised if none of the above happened. I'm expecting all of the above issues, especially considering so many patches recently. The patches are necessary to fix things of course, but usually bring up other issues such as the infamous 'Leap to death' scenario for hunters and paladins in a prior stress test.

But I'm still going to be there the second the servers are live. I'm not waiting even with disconnects, not able to connect, lag, bugs, whatever. I'm still going to attempt to get in as soon as I can.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nope, not waiting. Want my names
    Valar morghulis