10+ Year Old Account

Computer Unable to Resume After Sleep Mode

Yeah, so I've been having a bit on an issue with my computer where it has trouble resuming and starting up after going into sleep mode.

If my computer goes into sleep mode whether by me pressing the button or allowing the computer to eventually fall asleep by itself after being idle, it won't come back on. It will still be powered on, but wiggling the mouse or keyboard has no effect. Most of the time the power button remains orange like it's idle instead of turning blue like it should. It does occasionally actually go blue again, but it never seems to actually come back on. After this occurs, I have to restart it manually several times just to get it to boot properly. When I turn it back on after having manually shut it off from being unable to resume after sleep mode, the video card fan will kick into high gear and remain that way on unsuccessful attempts. Also, the computer won't put out any kind of video signal. The computer seems to only start correctly if when I turn it on the fan bursts on for a brief moment, then resumes a quiet, normal hum. I've also noticed it won't turn on unless my scroll/caps/num lock all blink together and then my num lock lights up again and stays lit. I've also noticed my performance has been a little shoddy when running multiple applications, lately. Not horrible, but a little sketchy. I also did have a blue screen a few days ago for the first time, but haven't gotten it since.

I'm hoping it isn't a hardware failure and it's something that can be remedied by a soft fix.
    Look! Words!

Something like This happened to me a few years ago (brand new PC) and yeah it does suck. I discovered that the problem was the hard drive itself not the os installed, which lead me to (initially) believe that it was the master boot record. When I got a chance I re-installed (OS)and it, the problem, was still around. Turns out from time to time you just get bad hard drives. Since it was still under warranty I turned it into get repaired (Best Buy) and after telling them exactly what the problem was I still wound up waiting about 3 weeks I got it back. Fortunately the 500gb HD I had was no longer carried by BB so they gave me a free 1TBHD. But yeah your symptoms sound like your HD is failing, if possible try a different HD.

Deleted
    While I can't exactly offer you any solution to your problem, besides advising you to take the computer to a tech person.

I can advise you that sleep mode can be disabled in settings. Just go into power settings. While that may not fix the problem, at least you will avoid it.

update graphics card drivers would be my first port of call, then do windows updates

hopefully that should sort it, otherwise go into power settings and fiddle with the settings there
    <insert witty signature here>

Just a few general suggestions: I know Linux has a hard time with some laptop hardware (mine specifically) regarding power options. If you're running Windows, the rest of these might help.

Try using some tools to clean up your hard drive. Ccleaner is good: it cleans up old, unused files, like temp files, internet cache, cookies, etc. It also can clean up your registry, which can bog down your computer too.

Blow out your fans/heatsink (CPU and graphics card) every few months, as a clogged heatsink isn't effective, and overheating can lead to bad problems.

Update drivers and Windows as well. Do so for every program you can, for that matter. There's a tool (can't remember what it's called) that can tell you what programs need to be updated.

Regarding the mouse not waking it up, one thing to check, if you haven't, is the option to wake using the mouse. I recommend laptops to have this off, since waking a laptop in a bag can be bad, but for a desktop it should be on. This point is probably moot, given your power-on problem though.

These may not help your specific problem, but they are useful for keeping a healthy machine.

Doing a clean install may also fix your problem (as it could be the OS), but then again, it may be a hardware issue.

Deleted
    I've had exactly the same problem and fixed it by entering BIOS > Power Management and looking for something that said "on resume run VGA bios" and setting it to 'No'. 'Auto' (default setting) and 'Yes' resulted in the same behavior you described.
    You should also try messing with other options in the Power Management section.
    Anyway you should test this on a fresh install of Windows, only with the newest drivers installed.
    Other thing you should try from an elevated cmd:
    powercfg -energy
    powercfg -requests
    Check each output.
    Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by foxHeart View Post
    Yeah, so I've been having a bit on an issue with my computer where it has trouble resuming and starting up after going into sleep mode.

If my computer goes into sleep mode whether by me pressing the button or allowing the computer to eventually fall asleep by itself after being idle, it won't come back on. It will still be powered on, but wiggling the mouse or keyboard has no effect. Most of the time the power button remains orange like it's idle instead of turning blue like it should. It does occasionally actually go blue again, but it never seems to actually come back on. After this occurs, I have to restart it manually several times just to get it to boot properly. When I turn it back on after having manually shut it off from being unable to resume after sleep mode, the video card fan will kick into high gear and remain that way on unsuccessful attempts. Also, the computer won't put out any kind of video signal. The computer seems to only start correctly if when I turn it on the fan bursts on for a brief moment, then resumes a quiet, normal hum. I've also noticed it won't turn on unless my scroll/caps/num lock all blink together and then my num lock lights up again and stays lit. I've also noticed my performance has been a little shoddy when running multiple applications, lately. Not horrible, but a little sketchy. I also did have a blue screen a few days ago for the first time, but haven't gotten it since.

I'm hoping it isn't a hardware failure and it's something that can be remedied by a soft fix.