Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Part of the player housing argument is that they don't want players to sit in one place and not leave a city.
    Player housing would do exactly that and give players less reason to go into the world.

Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    I don't think it's going to be an actual instance. Simply the crops and such being private to you.

This is probably at least partially simply to make the system work. Just try to work out the logistics of having a non-private farm for every single player in that zone. You'd have no place for anything else.
    I agree. Thinking it over, it may not be instanced... but phased.
    "You should only install Warlords on your master hard drive. They will never be slaves." - @CM_Lore

Quote Originally Posted by dokhidamo View Post
    most likely,

it would be quite nice if it turns out to be "phased in lumps" so each "phase" has like 20-30 people working on their farms so your not "alone" while working as it would be weird walking into the "farm" area and suddenly you are alone and there are no pc's around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Obelodalix View Post
    What the fuck did you just say.

They (sorry, this was a couple weeks back and I don't remember the source) said it would be like opening up parts of the Molten Front. You see everyone else running around, but only you can see your plants and such, or how much you've unlocked.

Found it on WoW Insider... The Tillers are hardworking, salt-of-the-earth types who provide the rest of the pandaren with their food, but they're too busy to take care of some local problems, like the virmen. Help them out and you can become a Tiller too, complete with your own plot of land. Yes, you heard right -- your very own farm. Kosak explained that the farm will be in a mini-phase like your Molten Front tree so that you're never locked out of anything because of it. As your farm grows, you can plant more and more stuff in it, including cooking ingredients, consumable food, and even herbalism nodes (so you can farm while you farm). Kosak said they're even considering letting you grow non-combat pets.
    Last edited by stryfe1; 2012-04-02 at 02:52 PM. Reason: added source

I do, and don't understand the 'don't want player houses because they'll just stay there and not be in the world' thing.

I understand they want players out in the world, But isn't that already required to quest? I know BG and Instance que times usually take place in the city, but its just that. I stand on the Dwarven district bank steps with my guild as we wait in que for something before our raids.

The majority of us don't leave the city at max level in cataclysm anyway. So why not let us customize the surroundings we see? or have our own environment so we don't see level 1 naked bankalts dancing around and trolling us in trade chat?

I'm really looking forward to checking out the farms. I knew they had hit something good in wrath when they implemented phasing. I only wonder if you could invite friends to your farm, or is it only 'time to take a screenshot to let everyone know how cool mine looks' kinda thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Kennycommenter View Post
    I do, and don't understand the 'don't want player houses because they'll just stay there and not be in the world' thing.

I understand they want players out in the world, But isn't that already required to quest? I know BG and Instance que times usually take place in the city, but its just that. I stand on the Dwarven district bank steps with my guild as we wait in que for something before our raids.

The majority of us don't leave the city at max level in cataclysm anyway. So why not let us customize the surroundings we see? or have our own environment so we don't see level 1 naked bankalts dancing around and trolling us in trade chat?

I'm really looking forward to checking out the farms. I knew they had hit something good in wrath when they implemented phasing. I only wonder if you could invite friends to your farm, or is it only 'time to take a screenshot to let everyone know how cool mine looks' kinda thing.
    The thing is, we're currently very heavily involved in the double standard of the playerbase in this thread. Players hate being cramped into one city, yet also love the idea of being cramped in a solo instance.
    "You should only install Warlords on your master hard drive. They will never be slaves." - @CM_Lore

The Lightbringer
    The thing is, we're currently very heavily involved in the double standard of the playerbase in this thread. Players hate being cramped into one city, yet also love the idea of being cramped in a solo instance.
    My vision of the thing is you'll have to travel a lot more in MOP. So while you certainly will spend some time at the farm, you will also spend some time elsewhere (e.g. doing the world PVP objectives).

BC/LK raider ('07-'10)

Quote Originally Posted by Tomana View Post
    My vision of the thing is you'll have to travel a lot more in MOP. So while you certainly will spend some time at the farm, you will also spend some time elsewhere (e.g. doing the world PVP objectives).
    Yeah. I was talking about housing there, because there's a bit of a talk that this may be the first step to adding it.

I mean no matter how you slice it, player housing will not increase involvement in the world.

Yeah. I was talking about housing there, because there's a bit of a talk that this may be the first step to adding it.

I mean no matter how you slice it, player housing will not increase involvement in the world.
    Yeah, I agree with you. It seems Blizzard is waiting to see what they can add in MoP to increase the involvement.

But to my own dismay/admittance, I am currently excited to see how the new MoP hub looks. Which just puts me back on the DD bank steps again while i que at level 90.

Quote Originally Posted by azrielen View Post
    The reason that Blizzard most commonly cites for not doing player or guild housing is actually the fact that it would take people out of the world. Everyone would be hanging out in their instances house or guild hall and not hanging out in actual places in the world. Blizzard sees this as a bad thing, apparently, and so they are reluctant to do instanced housing.
    You mean like standing around in the main city all day long waiting for a qq to pop up?
    "Only Jack can zip up."
    The word you want to use is "have" not "of".
    You may have alot of stuff in your country, but we got Lolland.

The Lightbringer

That's for sure, but dividing a player's attention between the capital with AH, the vendors located in the world, and the farm (and everyone won't farm the farm ) is at least a start.

BC/LK raider ('07-'10)

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceDuck View Post
    the idea of players having their own house is always a bad idea for an mmo, as its already been said people would spent their time inside their house not out in the open which they are trying to achieve this expansion. dont want wow to become a OSOPO (Ocassionaly See Other Players Online), it would ruin any sense of a community even worse than what cata has done

the same with having a farm, it does sound like a good idea to have people grow their food for raids instead of grinding mobs or fishing as its something new. but people are still confined to their own little phase and you dont see people in the world
    Have houses in real life destroyed a sense of community?

People still have to leave to go to the auction house, or the bank, or to do dungeons or read trade chat. Thats a poor excuse on blizzards end about player housing.
    I'm the minister of mistakes. I'm the shaman of sh*tstorms. If there was a f**k-up pope. I'd have a 3 foot hat!

When arguing online I like to use big words. Because by the time they're done googling it, they have forgotten what their point was.

Quote Originally Posted by Kennycommenter View Post
    Yeah, I agree with you. It seems Blizzard is waiting to see what they can add in MoP to increase the involvement.

But to my own dismay/admittance, I am currently excited to see how the new MoP hub looks. Which just puts me back on the DD bank steps again while i que at level 90.
    Yeah. That's why they need to incentivize the world. Right now there's no incentive for going out there like there used to be (mostly due to the expansion of the AH)

---------- Post added 2012-04-02 at 10:39 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Pandragon View Post

People still have to leave to go to the auction house, or the bank, or to do dungeons or read trade chat. Thats a poor excuse on blizzards end about player housing.
    But the thing is, the cornerstone of the MMO genre is the Massively MULTIPLAYER part. If everyone had their own private instance and only went out to get mail, we wouldn't be multiplayer. We'd be single player with multiplayer elements.

Quote Originally Posted by Viglante View Post
    most likely,

it would be quite nice if it turns out to be "phased in lumps" so each "phase" has like 20-30 people working on their farms so your not "alone" while working as it would be weird walking into the "farm" area and suddenly you are alone and there are no pc's around.
    You will be alone. You won´t see other players on your farm. Also the phasing is quest based. People keep comparing it to farmville, it is nothing like farmville, it will be more like molten front.. you will kill wolves, save the farm, do more quests to get seeds, come back in a day and the phasing will change etc etc. Your farm will grow (phasing) based on your completing quests similar to how ýour´ Molten front grew. I think people are going to be disappointed if they think it will be like player housing or that it will be like farmville. It will be MF without the ability to see other players.

Quote Originally Posted by Bableforce View Post
    Blizz have said with MoP that these tiller farms are becoming private so that no one can destroy your precious crops, but I was wondering if this is the case why don't we see more things that are private to the player? I have never really cared about player housing but I know lots of people do and I thought one issue was making your house private, is this the way to go?
    Tillers = Beta Test for "Private player places"

Blizz always "beta tests" little things in the actual game to gauge effective coding methods and simply popularity, then hits you with it big-time in a following expansion.

When the STV fishing contest occurred and I saw they had fish schools for it, I instantly figured out that was simply a "beta test" for how fishing schools, respawning, ect works.

Second thing I saw was at the Darkmoon Faire with the Tonks. I saw that there was actually a VERY custom complex shooting detection engine in there, and KNEW that was also a beta-test for something bigger. Behold, vehicle combat with guns were born. ^_^

Phasing was also tested in BC with the various questlines in Blades Edge mountains Etherial camps that you have to go into a different "phase" in order to kill enemies... behold, Wrath of the Lich King brought phasing to a whole new level.

I'm telling you, soon as I saw the Tillers description - I'm POSITIVE the next expansion or later is going to use this much MUCH more... for a company who says they have problems adding "bank slots" due to memory, this is adding a whole new SPECIFIC set of code just for your individual character that's probably twice as complicated as any bankslot could be.

They're also gauging the "use" of this farm as well. If less than 10% of the player base uses it, they'll probably scrap the idea of Player Housing. If 90% of the user base uses it, the next expansion will FOCUS on Player Housing. ^_^

---------- Post added 2012-04-02 at 03:58 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Pandragon View Post

Blilzard has flip-flopped on their stance for Player Housing SO MANY times.

First they said they wanted to do it and it will "bring World of Warcraft to the next level". ((direct quote from Jeff Kaplan [Tigole]))

Then, around Lich King, they changed their stance saying "We aren't going to do it as we don't want cities to feel deserted".

Then, in Cataclysm, they changed again sayign "We don't want the WORLD to feel deserted" ((as, apparently, the Cities are now fair-game to be deserted... and apparently it's ok to have the WORLD be deserted as were' just focusing all players into Pandaria...))

I totally agree with you - you will NOT be able to do everything from your home. That notion is just stupid and even Blizz knows it, but knows that the majority of their fans will accept ANY sort of excuse so tells them that.

Here's a brief list of things you CAN'T DO from your home:
    Daily Quests
    Leveling your character via questing
    Getting into a normal/heroic Raid Zone
    PVE Scenarios
    Pet Battles
    World PVP battles
    Tillers (and subsequent other "functional" areas in future)
    Fishing
    Profession material farming (unless you want to just buy mats on the AH all the time...)
    Reputation grinds for various factions

I'm sure there's a dozzen others I can think of. But, quite simply, Player Housing is NOT going to force anybody to stand in a home - at all. It NEVER happened in UO, Final Fantasy XI, Star Wars: Galaxies or Everquest II... and it wouldn't happen in WoW as all the GAMEPLAY is OUTSIDE the home.
    "Tell them only that the Lich King is dead... and that World of Warcraft... died with him..."

Quote Originally Posted by BenBos View Post
    That's the ONLY reason you would post 9600 posts over 3 years: a mission of hate.

Quote Originally Posted by ComputerNerd View Post
    Part of the player housing argument is that they don't want players to sit in one place and not leave a city.
    Player housing would do exactly that and give players less reason to go into the world.
    Why? Would quest objectives and resource nodes spawn inside the houses for some reason? Would pets spawn inside the house? Or maybe all raid portals would move there? The answer is no - all the things they add for the players to do in the world in MoP would bring the players out of the houses for the same reason they will bring them out of the cities with current design.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chen Stormstout
    To ask why we fight is to ask why leaves fall. (...)
    Quote Originally Posted by TotalBiscuit
    Gravity? We fight because gravity? Never listen to a philosophy from a panda.

I was hoping the Tiller farms would brings something similar like player housing along. I really really enjoyed having a house in LoTRO; it had its chest which functioned as an account bank and you were able to decorate it with furniture you could either buy from the vendor or craft yourself if your profession supported such. You could buy decoration from tokens you won in instances or make them with, say, a rare fish you managed to fish up. It was very dynamic and interesting to have, even with paying a weekly/monthly fee with in-game valuta. The teleport to your house, the account-shared bank and the player housing area being instanced and looking like a small village where you could meet other players who were living in the same 'channel' were really making it for me. The areas had smaller houses, larger houses and guild halls all together in one village and you could moderate who were allowed to enter your house and touch your things.

Back on topic.
    I do like it that they instanced the Tiller farms (if it is true). I wouldn't want to run from one side of the field to the other with having 50 other players doing the same, picking up crops you can't even see. I would like to do such a profession in peace, without my fps going down.
    Phasing I also don't mind; it is nearly the same as instanced... I don't mind having less than five other players wander about on the same field/ground, but for the love of anything enjoyable, no more than that!
    Last edited by Lynxia; 2012-04-02 at 04:56 PM.

So, the idea has been mentioned once or twice here, if player houses are perhaps to isolated then what about guild halls? That promotes community, only problem I can see is with big guilds having hundreds of players in one small space, no worse than SW auction house I suppose :P

The reason that Blizzard most commonly cites for not doing player or guild housing is actually the fact that it would take people out of the world. Everyone would be hanging out in their instances house or guild hall and not hanging out in actual places in the world.

the idea of players having their own house is always a bad idea for an mmo, as its already been said people would spent their time inside their house not out in the open which they are trying to achieve this expansion.
    Not true at all.
    'Cos there was a game called Ultima Online.
    And trust me, no ppl was staying at home. Especially on PvP servers.

Daily Quests
    PVE Scenarios
    Pet Battles
    World PVP battles
    Fishing
    Profession material farming (unless you want to just buy mats on the AH all the time...)

I'm sure there's a dozzen others I can think of. But, quite simply, Player Housing is NOT going to force anybody to stand in a home - at all. It NEVER happened in UO... and it wouldn't happen in WoW as all the GAMEPLAY is OUTSIDE the home.
    THIS.
    Someone else do remember grand father of most mmo's :O)

Personal farm is a great idea and I hope Blizz will still developed WoW and I'll play long enough to see private houses in Azheroth...

Daily Quests
    PVE Scenarios
    Pet Battles
    World PVP battles
    Fishing
    Exactly. But then you need to sit down and make the hard choices. Do you want to convenience those (Scenarios, for instance, are now just an LFG function) and encourage them (require daily questing to raid) or do you want to just not provide player housing.