Thread: [Music] Opeth

[Music] Opeth

Ive been a huge Opeth fan for years. I've seen them live at least 5 times and will probably see them again when they come to town with Mastadon this month. Having said that I find I can't get into Heritage. I respect their trying broaden their musical horizons and in general I really liked their musical departures from melodic death metal but Heritage is maybe a bit to progressive for my tastes. I have friends who are (for lack of a better term) music aficionados swear by this album. I'm curious to get other peoples thoughts on the matter.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyIommi View Post
    Ive been a huge Opeth fan for years. I've seen them live at least 5 times and will probably see them again when they come to town with Mastadon this month. Having said that I find I can't get into Heritage. I respect their trying broaden their musical horizons and in general I really liked their musical departures from melodic death metal but Heritage is maybe a bit to progressive for my tastes. I have friends who are (for lack of a better term) music aficionados swear by this album. I'm curious to get other peoples thoughts on the matter.
    In lamens terms.... they "Sold out" imo :P

I was never a fan of them, I do respect how technically good they are... but not a fan

Deleted
    I don't think the move to 70's psychedelic prog rock really counts as selling out, especially as most fans probably wanted blackwater park 2.0 instead

Also it is still a good show live, definately go see them :>
    Last edited by mmoc428400b019; 2012-04-02 at 06:19 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by WaitingforMoP View Post
    In lamens terms.... they "Sold out" imo :P

I was never a fan of them, I do respect how technically good they are... but not a fan
    Nah. Akerfeldt just got tired of metal afaik, so he's moving in the prog rock direction. I don't have anything against prog rock but I can't say I like this move. Then again Opeth wasn't the same for me after Blackwater Park and I mainly prefer their early albums (Orchid, Morningrise, My Arms, Your Hearse). They had some passion and atmosphere the later ones completely lack for me.

My favourite song of their is still The Twilight Is My Robe and I'd really like them to go back to playing that style but probably will never happen.

Deleted
    It's supposedly true, that Åkerfeldt got sick of metal. I remember him saying in some interview, that it was either change or die. I'm glad they chose change, even though I'm not a huge fan of Heritage either. Sometimes good things come to an end. Their metal is going to keep on living though, it's practically ageless music as far as I'm concerned.

Deleted
    The Grand Conjuration is one of their most atmospheric songs imo, it's got a great evil vibe. However darker grandeur of the earlier albums is probably gone for good yeah

I don't think they sold out. I think Akerfledt just wanted to broaden his musical horizons a bit. They've always done that though. I've enjoyed their forays into progressive metal for the most part. Watershed and Ghost of Perdition were excellent albums. Even their folk album damnation was awesome as well. Heritage is just not to my taste. I agree their metal is fucking solid and I look forward to hearing it live again. Even if they only play a song or two. Oddly enough last year at the Heavy in T.O they played a pretty interesting set. They pulled out face of melinda. Mad respect for that even though it kinda killed the vibe a bit. THey got right back into it after though.

Oh that reminds me. Somewhat off topic but I heard some noise about a collaborative project between akerfeldt and the dude from porcupine tree (can't remember his name). I know he produced Blackwater Park and sang on Bleak. Have we heard anything about that?
    Last edited by Leonard McCoy; 2012-04-02 at 09:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyIommi View Post
    I don't think they sold out. I think Akerfledt just wanted to broaden his musical horizons a bit. They've always done that though. I've enjoyed their forays into progressive metal for the most part. Watershed and Ghost of Perdition were excellent albums. Even their folk album damnation was awesome as well. Heritage is just not to my taste. I agree their metal is fucking solid and I look forward to hearing it live again. Even if they only play a song or two. Oddly enough last year at the Heavy in T.O they played a pretty interesting set. They pulled out face of melinda. Mad respect for that even though it kinda killed the vibe a bit. THey got right back into it after though.

Oh that reminds me. Somewhat off topic but I heard some noise about a collaborative project between akerfeldt and the dude from porcupine tree (can't remember his name). I know he produced Blackwater Park and sang on Bleak. Have we heard anything about that?
    Steven Wilson. Their album is coming out in May, and it has been described as "the final part in the odd trilogy of records completed by (Opeth's) Heritage and Steven Wilson‘s brand new solo album Grace for Drowning.