Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    That Dresden series looks amazing, I hope that it's on the kindle.

10+ Year Old Account
    I believe it's worth a shot.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    BRB, going to order that whole series
    TBH I'm hoping if she just goes in the wwhhoollee other direction, and makes something 100% different from Harry Potter, then I think hopefully people will look at it as a stand alone series. I know when I read it (and you can bet I will even if she did a Glee/Twilight Crossover book I would read it ) I will judge it on it's own merits, you can just hope that others will as well.

and tbh if the critics don't like it, pan it universally and it bombs horribly... it's not like she's EVER going to run out of money , she has more money that the royal family afterall....
    Dresden books are great. It has a great mix of real world grit with the fantasy. Like the fact that Dresden uses old sports drink bottles to mix potions in. Just the idea of a dude in a trench coat waving a wand around a chugging a potion out of a Gaterade bottle is an amazing image to me.

Not sure about Rowling going in a totally different direction. One of the great things about her books is that they are a very easy read. If she can keep that, I bet it will do well regardless of the subject matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Flay- View Post
    That Dresden series looks amazing, I hope that it's on the kindle.
    Very much worth the read. Nor sure about Kindle, but I bet they are. The audio books are very good as well. Read by James Marsters. Spike from Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizzit View Post
    Very much worth the read. Nor sure about Kindle, but I bet they are. The audio books are very good as well. Read by James Marsters. Spike from Buffy the Vampire Slayer.
    LoL does he read it in the Spike voice? If so I MAY have to add that to my collection :P which tbh is only the the Harry Potter novels, read by Stephen Fry
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

Eh, I don't like the fact that she said it's "geared for adults".
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    IIRC she said a couple of months back that it's going to be a detective novel.

Is it just me, or is the phrase "Wizard Detective" the best thing ever?
    Could be, there is a ton of supernatural (ghost, werewolf, vampire, dark witch) detective novels out there.

15+ Year Old Account
    Depending on what the subject matter is I may or may not read her new book. I do really hope eventually she will return to the HP series, perhaps even with a more adult theme with it.

The Dresden series is amazing. I found it several years ago now and was buying the next book in the series every other day because of how fast I was going through them. Unfortunately, I got a tad burnt out when I was approaching the last 1/2 books that were released at that time and haven't read any since. They made a short lived TV series loosely based on the books staring Paul Blackthorne. It didn't last long partly because of poor marketing, and IMHO a poor introduction to the characters with the first few episodes.

I heard the TV Series is actually on Netflix now and that it is actually pretty entertaining. I might jusst have to check it out myself.

10+ Year Old Account
    I heard the TV Series is actually on Netflix now and that it is actually pretty entertaining. I might just have to check it out myself.
    The TV series is.... pretty meh. I guess it is ok, but I disliked some of the changes they made to characters like Murphy and Bob. The casting is pretty bad and they really dumb down the series. It's like Dresden if it was made by CBS or something. I guess it works in a low budget TV kind of way, but doesn't do the books justice.

15+ Year Old Account
    What ever happened to that Harry Potter "Encyclopedia" that she was supposed to produce? Any word on that?

10+ Year Old Account
    Apparently it's geared towards adults. Is anyone else looking forward to something new coming from her?
    If she can conjure the same appeal of the old books she might make it back to Billionaire status!

---------- Post added 2012-04-06 at 12:51 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzzie View Post
    What ever happened to that Harry Potter "Encyclopedia" that she was supposed to produce? Any word on that?
    I thought that was an online-only deal for some reason. Like strictly a web thing.
    Last edited by Callace; 2012-04-06 at 01:00 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Callace View Post
    I thought that was an online-only deal for some reason. Like strictly a web thing.
    Maybe. I missed the boat on that one. I heard it on a podcast or something a few years back.

Maybe she's just holding out until she wants a nice paycheque. Not that she needs it.

I'm still holding out for Pottermore....signed up last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Callace View Post
    No, it was going to be an actual book but I think since Pottermore was launched it might not happen (at least not anytime soon).

I'm not 100% sure about that though, I haven't bothered visiting the site but I would like to see the encyclopedia happen.

Apparently it's geared towards adults. Is anyone else looking forward to something new coming from her?
    So was Harry Potter. We will have to see how it turns out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oneirophobia View Post
    Besides, they have updated models, updated abilities, and are in completely different locations. Really the only thing psyically the same is their names, so if you don't care for plotlines whats it matter who the dragons are? They're just meaningless loot bags to you.
    Shaman Armory
    Mage Armory

Whilst I would love to see some kind of Harry Potter follow up ... Prequels would be AMAZING (As long as they're not done to George Lucas quality)

But I respect J.K Rowling as an Author and quite frankly if you've been working on the same story and series for over a decade, I think most people would want to try something new.

So I really hope whatever route she heads with this new Book she has tons of success, because She deserves to try something new and enjoy a different story.

10+ Year Old Account
    She should do like Lucas did and let other people write books in the same universe as the Potter books. As long as she keeps final approval on them, could be great.

Quote Originally Posted by Skizzit View Post
    She should do like Lucas did and let other people write books in the same universe as the Potter books. As long as she keeps final approval on them, could be great.
    Oh hell no, that would be awful.

Luckily she's made it very clear that she's not going to do that.

It'll be interesting to see how it goes. It'll almost certainly never live up to the Harry Potter mythos that's snowballed over the years, but I for one definitely want to see J.K. writing out of her comfort zone a bit more.

A lot of the success of Harry Potter was to do with the formula of it, the setting and the theme all coming together into something that had such universal appeal and such endless possibility for engaging, fun scenes. She's never really been a writer with much overarching technical ability though, in the sense of how she constructs her stories. She's very good at writing scenes, and has a huge amount of natural flair for engaging prose, but when writing a story that isn't structured around a very safe and stable framework like Harry Potter it'll be interesting to see how it comes along, and how much she's learned between now and the last HP book.

I've always thought that if J.K. Rowling had taken some formal training in creative writing she'd be one of the most fantastic storytellers ever born.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondercrab View Post
    It'll be interesting to see how it goes. It'll almost certainly never live up to the Harry Potter mythos that's snowballed over the years, but I for one definitely want to see J.K. writing out of her comfort zone a bit more.

A lot of the success of Harry Potter was to do with the formula of it, the setting and the theme all coming together into something that had such universal appeal and such endless possibility for engaging, fun scenes. She's never really been a writer with much overarching technical ability though, in the sense of how she constructs her stories. She's very good at writing scenes, and has a huge amount of natural flair for engaging prose, but when writing a story that isn't structured around a very safe and stable framework like Harry Potter it'll be interesting to see how it comes along, and how much she's learned between now and the last HP book.

I've always thought that if J.K. Rowling had taken some formal training in creative writing she'd be one of the most fantastic storytellers ever born.
    Going to have to disagree with some of this if I read it correctly. I found Harry Potter's story to be fairly basic at a simple look, but honestly really complicated pieces that tie all the books together. Mundungus Fletcher doesn't become important to the fifth book, but he is first mentioned getting arrested in the second book IIRC. The entire political corruption of the ministry was fairly straight forward, but little tidbits like the wizard who was supposed to be arrested for the blowing up toilets (if I am recalling it right) got off because he reported Harry Potter's meeting to the ministry. Little things that just add to it, and there are a ton of them.
    Battletag: Vale#11596
    Armory - Twitter - Stream