Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by coolkingler1 View Post
    Why would he lie, he is (I think) an adult.

Besides, I didn't say that I was there.

Doesn't mean that the person I quoted was right.
    Seriously? Why would he lie? Are we even on the same internet...

I almost never believe any account I read on forums from random users without taking not just a pinch, but an entire bucket of salt with it... people are not always truthful or often deliberately misleading, leaving out or glossing over things to get the response they hope to acheive - be that sympathy, outrage, whatever. The entire thing could also be completely fictional in order to again elicit a certain response for the amusement of the OP.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have a 100% clean record. Zero arrests. But I could write a laundry list of negative experiences I've had with law enforcement officers all over the world, but mainly in the United States. It is a damn shame for the good-hearted, hard-working, law-abiding men and women of law enforcement that such a high percentage of their associates are complete d-bags. You can't assertively defend yourself (verbally) to an officer. You cannot disagree with an officer. You can't even TOUCH an officer? Give me a fucking break. They aren't gods. They're human beings. They wonder why they are almost universally vilified. Act with respect, gain respect.
    EverQuest, City of Heroes, Star Wars Galaxies, EverQuest II, World of Warcraft, Guild Wars, Star Wars TOR, Guild Wars 2, Rift.

He was probably a city cop. They are the low end of the totem poll when it comes to cops and most of them use that as an excuse to be an asshole. They are pissed off because they couldnt be county or state and got stuck in a pretty crappy place to be a cop and like I said a city cop on top of everything. I live in Myrtle Beach which is probably just as bad. My experiences with city cops are horrible. Getting pulled and ticketed for 38 in a 35 in perfect weather and no traffic for example. On the other hand I have had county cops pull me going 90 in a 30 and they just say drive carefully and go home.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Illuwin View Post
    1) don't ever discuss pending legal cases in a public forum
    2) see 1
    3) uniformed animals are considered the same as a uniformed officer. This includes horses and dogs. I'm surprised it wasn't assaulting an officer.
    I agree 100%, Maybe if you asked the officer before you touched the horse thing would have been different.
    Packers - Penguins - Gators

Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    The policeman was there, therefore by your logic his opinion is inviolable fact.
    End of story?
    Cops frequently lie.

Quote Originally Posted by Televators View Post
    I have a 100% clean record. Zero arrests. But I could write a laundry list of negative experiences I've had with law enforcement officers all over the world, but mainly in the United States. It is a damn shame for the good-hearted, hard-working, law-abiding men and women of law enforcement that such a high percentage of their associates are complete d-bags. You can't assertively defend yourself (verbally) to an officer. You cannot disagree with an officer. You can't even TOUCH an officer? Give me a fucking break. They aren't gods. They're human beings. They wonder why they are almost universally vilified. Act with respect, gain respect.
    This entirely. I know some good cops, I've also met some cops that should never be put in a position of power anywhere.
    Last edited by Shmeh; 2012-04-03 at 12:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shmeh View Post
    Cops frequently lie.
    And forumgoers... don't?

10+ Year Old Account
    1. Yelling at someone doesn't show much respect.

2. My friend has disagreed with an officer before about a ticket and he never went to jail about it, It's just one persons word against another.

3. I'm not in anyway a cop, But why would I want some random person I've never met let then put their hands on me. Touching someone else for no reason what so ever doesn't show much respect.
    Packers - Penguins - Gators

Yeahhh some cops are total a-holes. Power goes to their head, bad days lead to your bad days, etc :/

Nothing you can really do though except get the horse charge dropped.

Did you pet the horse too hard?
    Miranda Rights: Miranda has the right to a decent man to help her raise her baby.

15+ Year Old Account
    Was the horse a diabetic?

OT It's harassment, plain and simple. On your part.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by verhoef3 View Post
    Hey guys. I am down in New Orleans, LA for the NCAA Final Four now. My friends and I went to bourbon street after the games and I became intoxicated after some time. I was not a rowdy drunk and generally hold my alcohol rather well. While walking down the street there were several mounted officers and being the dumbass I was I reached out to pet one of the horses. It got a little startled, not dangerous or anything, just a quick movement. I did not get the chance to touch it because I was started myself by the horses reaction. A few seconds later an officer grabs the color of my shirt and drags me to an alley and handcuffs me, saying that I punched his horse. I had no idea that touching the horses was a criminal offense and had no malicious intent at all. I was charged with public intoxication and cruelty to animals. I was arrested for the first time in my life and spent 10 miserable hours in jail, along side about 10 men who got DUIs, one who solicited a prostitute, another who was pissing in an alley, a thief, and a man charged with possession with intention to sell along with a concealed, unrequited gun. I had no idea what was going on and have never been to jail before. I officer driving the car was texting while driving and, despite my full and polite cooperation I was treated extremely poorly by all the officers I came into contact with. To top it off, my bail bondsmen got me out and bolted with all my money and my team lost their final four game.

If there are any people here with a law background or have been in a similar situation any advice on how to act would be greatly appreciated. I already have a lawyer and am getting the charge expunged from my record. I am just a poor college student and this is very financially draining, so I would really like the animal cruelty charge dropped, as I have no hope with public intoxication. Although I was not given a breathalyzer. Thanks

Edit: Am I basically SOL because it is my word against the cop's?
    I have a strong feeling that this isn't the true story of what really happened.
    You got drunk, you acted up, now you pay for it.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is silly... you say you hold your liquor well but you thought it was a GOOD IDEA to go up to a policeman on horseback and pat his horse, while being aware you were drunk?

One thing to remember when you're not in charge of your faculties is to avoid putting yourself in bad situations like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Lunaforge View Post
    You could have saved yourself a whole shit ton of trouble if you would have just been polite and asked if you could pet his horse. Mounted Police are very protective of their horses. I sure as hell dont like people touching my kids/animals without asking.
    This right here exactly. Just because you were drunk, doesn't mean common courtesy should go out the window.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by WarpKnight View Post
    This is silly... you say you hold your liquor well but you thought it was a GOOD IDEA to go up to a policeman on horseback and pat his horse, while being aware you were drunk?

One thing to remember when you're not in charge of your faculties is to avoid putting yourself in bad situations like that.
    Ok, intoxicated does not mean black out drunk. I was still aware and completely coherent, though I did have enough alcohol in me to have an effect. I was not dribbling around like an idiot or anything. Honestly, I did not know the rules regarding the treatment of horses, and others were doing it. I had 0 malicious intent and would never dream of harming an animal, no matter how drunk I am. I am not lying at all! I reached out to touch the horse, retracted my arm, the horse was startled. Officer wasn't sure why do he assumed I punched it. My friends see me getting handcuffed, they think it's funny because I would be the last person they expect to be arrested and they start filming with their phones as the event unfolds. People around come to my defense and I am taken down to jail and charged with animal cruelty and public intoxication. Though I was not given a sobriety test.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    If your job was about dealing with drunkards, murderers and the like, you probably don't want anyone to lay a hand on you because you never know who will try. It's part of their work, and if you can't show respect for that authority and position, you are the one with the problem.
    More often then not, the people who cry about the police, are people who have a reason to fear them. Or are people who can't show respect themselves.
    It's a-okay to disagree with the police, if you do it properly and not lose your temper. Show a willingness to cooperate, and you will be listened to.

---------- Post added 2012-04-03 at 02:15 AM ----------

Ok, intoxicated does not mean black out drunk. I was still aware and completely coherent, though I did have enough alcohol in me to have an effect. I was not dribbling around like an idiot or anything. Honestly, I did not know the rules regarding the treatment of horses, and others were doing it. I had 0 malicious intent and would never dream of harming an animal, no matter how drunk I am. I am not lying at all! I reached out to touch the horse, retracted my arm, the horse was startled. Officer wasn't sure why do he assumed I punched it. My friends see me getting handcuffed, they think it's funny because I would be the last person they expect to be arrested and they start filming with their phones as the event unfolds. People around come to my defense and I am taken down to jail and charged with animal cruelty and public intoxication. Though I was not given a sobriety test.
    Seriously man, talk to your LAWYER. Not an internet forum.
    Last edited by Noomz; 2012-04-03 at 02:17 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm having a hard time believing you don't know it was intrinsically a bad idea to pat a police horse without asking, while under the influence... People (especially police officers, who are trained in the area) can tell when someone has been drinking. Even if you weren't drinking at all, patting a police horse without asking first is begging for trouble.

Police aren't all power-high assholes, they deal with some very unsavoury people and you do not want to give them the wrong assumptions from your opening actions.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    I would have that officers job and likely see the custody sergeant demoted too, sadly i cannot help in this case as US law is very messed up. Many law offices offer free 15 minutes consultation, have a word with them. If your current solicitor has not put your mind at ease already, he/she is crap.
    No, lol not here you wouldn't it's your word versus the officers and guess who always wins that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Noomz View Post
    More often then not, the people who cry about the police, are people who have a reason to fear them.
    So like... all of my black friends, through no fault of their own? I'm not trying to divert the conversation to any racial issues, just giving one example.

Another example: I don't have anything in my wallet that would get me in trouble, but I don't want you or a cop or anybody else looking in it. But cops have requested it more than once, and I declined to give it to them (they had no reasonable suspicion or probable cause). If the cops had been jerks they could have called it failing to comply with an officer, and then when I declined a second time, resisting arrest. That never happened, but I know people things like that have happened to.

So yes, I have a reason to fear cops. That means I can cry about them, right?

Deleted
    There is one simple rule in life... and it applys everwhere.
    When you follow it, you won't get into trouble again... ever.

If you are uncertain if something is allowed.... ASK for permission!

I own two dogs... when i take em to a walk, it sometimes happen that people come across...ohhh cute... and they trying to pet em.
    In your case (alcohol), my dogs would have swallowed you alive...they cant stand drunk people. And it would be MY fault according to law here.

from what ive heard from friends in the law enforcement when it comes to mounted officers on a horse is that the horse is Considered a officer as well and is protected by the same laws as the officer riding it

i would say your lucky not to be charged with assaulting a officer ive heard of this incases when people go to play with a officers mount >.>