Thread: This feeling...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Same here.

I got the scroll of resurrection last week, and while I enjoy playing wow for an hour or so every few days, I really can't get myself to play more.
    It's just so ... old.

I had the same feeling with SWTOR. It feels like a game I've played for years, nothing about it is really interesting I saw past the story (which got extremely bad at the end for my class)

I hope GW2 is as good as critics make it out to be. As a GW1 player I trust arenanet, but it could still fall flat on its back.

Also, pink floyd FTW
    Monk, I need a monk!!!

Quote Originally Posted by sethers656 View Post
    The only thing that I am worried about GW is my own hype. I've been so excited and so hyped for this game since like 2008. It just cant live up to my expectations. I of course will still love the game.. but I cant help thinking I am just building myself up to be let down....
    I'm just glad that we've been showered with information and gameplay videos of the game,
    instead of us getting extremely hyped over nothing but trailers and rumors.
    Mass Effect 3 is an example I used earlier.
    (not that the game was bad, mind you, but getting hyped over trailers is.. uhh... yeah...)

Deleted
    Well if you got it recently, it's ok. I got mine a couple of months ago and got really hyped and really excited. Give it time and read things with a critical mind. At least for me the hype has now settled, I can see some problems this game might have and suddenly it's not the game that will take over the market.
    But I'm sure it will be a fun game, and it will have cute asuras and lots of pvp... enough for me to try it out eventually. Why I will try it out eventually is because I'm not sure I will play it when it releases. Following most other game releases there are problems with bugs, queues, and also regretting the server of choice at start with difficulties choosing another. In this game we know we will have to pay to transfer to another server if we pick wrong one at start. WvW will tell what is the best server of choice, and until game releases it's hard to know what server will be best choice. It most likely won't be the smallest server, but the biggest servers might have their issues too with queue to participate in wvw during peak hours and so on.
    It's just a matter of being realistic, know that anet is a company aiming for profit just like any other, and also try to notice issues with this game.

But if you just started to get your hype, don't panic. Release date will probably be more later than sooner, and hopefully as well since game has performance issues and we wouldn't want that on release. You will hopefully settle your hype soon enough to see game for more what it's likely to be and you'll hand over the rose-tinted glasses to someone else =)

Thankfully, I will at least be in mmoc's guild. Will have someone to play with.

Quote Originally Posted by Well View Post
    Thankfully, I will at least be in mmoc's guild. Will have someone to play with.
    Probably not, we've decided against letting you into any of our cliques.

---------- Post added 2012-04-03 at 03:56 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Tea View Post
    Well if you got it recently, it's ok. I got mine a couple of months ago and got really hyped and really excited. Give it time and read things with a critical mind. At least for me the hype has now settled, I can see some problems this game might have and suddenly it's not the game that will take over the market.
    But I'm sure it will be a fun game, and it will have cute asuras and lots of pvp... enough for me to try it out eventually. Why I will try it out eventually is because I'm not sure I will play it when it releases. Following most other game releases there are problems with bugs, queues, and also regretting the server of choice at start with difficulties choosing another. In this game we know we will have to pay to transfer to another server if we pick wrong one at start. WvW will tell what is the best server of choice, and until game releases it's hard to know what server will be best choice. It most likely won't be the smallest server, but the biggest servers might have their issues too with queue to participate in wvw during peak hours and so on.
    It's just a matter of being realistic, know that anet is a company aiming for profit just like any other, and also try to notice issues with this game.

But if you just started to get your hype, don't panic. Release date will probably be more later than sooner, and hopefully as well since game has performance issues and we wouldn't want that on release. You will hopefully settle your hype soon enough to see game for more what it's likely to be and you'll hand over the rose-tinted glasses to someone else =)
    (.. what's wrong with being excited for a game that we have A LOT of information about? I've seen what GW2 has to offer, I am still excited. You seem to be hinting that it is a bad thing that I am excited and that I'm blinded by my hype. >.>)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Delias View Post
    (.. what's wrong with being excited for a game that we have A LOT of information about? I've seen what GW2 has to offer, I am still excited. You seem to be hinting that it is a bad thing that I am excited and that I'm blinded by my hype. >.>)
    Well, if you still are... and I didn't see any problems with my blindness either... hell, I was blindfolded by blizz and wow for years as well hoping for this and that stuff to happen and actually expecting it to happen because well, it's blizz and wow. It's never bad being blinded when you are in the situation of being blinded... am I not right?
    But reality hits, it hit me in wow and I quit and will never go back, it hit me with GW2 but I've settled and know I will have fun anyway even if it might not be a gamebreaking game. Reality do hit in ways that makes people disappointed, because they wanted this and expected that and heard the other thing. People feel better in the end when they try see reality for what it is, and that's when good things can happen because you get a happy surprise. For example "Dude Ron and Chick Christina experienced performance issues during beta even though they had fairly good computers"... say Lady Lisa got a computer of same standard and cant afford a new one, either she's blindfolded with "they spent so much time on this game, it will never release and fail to deliver for most computers" or she thinks "Hm, this might be a serious issue, I might not be able to play and enjoy the game as I hoped to, even though there was lots of information about them testing the game on really old systems" when game releases she is either prepared for reality, that the game has performance issues or she gets sad because she never expected this to happen because her rose-tinted glasses never expected anything else but a fluent game, Anet worked so hard on it. Or she get suprised that they actually fixed performance issues so that the game runs fluently on most computers. In the long run, people feel better with nice surprises than disappointments, can't you agree with that?

Anyway, that was just an example, you can put it on any other part of the game that might be what you feel will be the most exciting thing and so on. I hope you get my point.

My bf is dying of hunger now, need to go shop for some food =)

If being excited about a game that has THIS much information about it is being blind, I guess I'm blind.
    Guess I will have to live with that fact.
    I've watched countless hours of gameplay footage, and have read an embarrassing amount of information about it.
    It's not like I'm getting hyped about a CGI cutscene here and a rumor there, I am getting excited about facts and things I have seen in action.
    If that is blindness, I'd love to know what sight is.

10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly, continue to be paranoid. If you decide to get the game, you'll be pleasantly surprised. If you don't, nothing of value was lost and you saved 60 bucks.
    Mountains rise in the distance stalwart as the stars, fading forever.
    Roads ever weaving, soul ever seeking the hunter's mark.

Quote Originally Posted by Tea View Post
    [...]and I didn't see any problems with my blindness either... hell, I was blindfolded by blizz and wow[...]
    That's kinda conflicting statements

I strongly oppose the idea that Blizzard or WoW blindfolded or blinded anyone. Rather people were willingly mislead and confused about the real value of WoW (the return value for investing in WoW for consumers is non-existant and very low if you consider content for money).

Any time ArenaNet releases new info on there site or I am surfing MMO Champion Guild Wars 2 or Guild Wars 2 Guru forums I have Jeremy Soule music playing.

Or my favorite series,Game Of Thrones intro music.

Game Of Thrones intro music.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KYp4nUAqEs
    "Chaos boils in my veins."

Well,

When I think of GW2... I get this cozzy feeling. But when I let myself think and/or enjoy it for more than a sec I instantly get this "it won't be good, self, don't be fooled. It will be filled with grind and crap that you will MUST do, etc etc"

Help?
    A better mind set to have then "this game will be better then could possibly exist within the realm of reality", its better to be skeptical and then enjoy something for being fun, rather then feel let down because it wasn't as great as you expected it to be... You can play a game that otherwise may be the funnest game you have played all year, but if you over hype it and get let down it will feel like a bad game even if it was the best game you played all year purely because it wasn't what you expected.

As for grinding, I don't think it will be eliminated, but I don't think it will feel how grindy feels in other games since each event has multiple objectives so if you like slaughtering enemies you can do just that, if you like picking up debris and repairing siege equipment you can do that, if you like watering crops and feeding cows you can do that, so even if lots of it is very samey you don't have to be doing the same thing over and over. The other part that will make any grind not feel as grindy as other games is the fact that you don't have to reach level x to learn skill x and then level y to get skill y, if you are level h and want skill x and y, hey as long as you have the skill points to purchase it (and the minimal level to have a slot to put the skill in), you can get what you want when you want it rather then having to wait till level x to get it, so leveling will not feel as needed and you can enjoy yourself at level 30 just as much as at level 79, you just have less scenery to choose from.

All in all I feel the game will be fun to play but by no means perfect, and because of that I can enjoy the game as it is as a pose to disliking it not because it isn't fun but because it didn't met the hype some people are expecting. Many people hated Fable (one) because it wasn't what they where expecting, but had they bought the game "blind" it would have been funner for them since they would enjoy the good things and be irked by the bad things as a pose to hating the bad things and not seeing the good things blinded by the things that didn't met expectations.

Quote Originally Posted by Delias View Post
    Probably not, we've decided against letting you into any of our cliques.
    What what?

What what?
    He's saying you aren't part of Mif's cookie Mafia... It's ok I'm not either.

Quote Originally Posted by zardon3001 View Post
    He's saying you aren't part of Mif's cookie Mafia... It's ok I'm not either.
    "Mif's cookie Mafia"?

ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahaah

That was a good laugh, thank you.

"Mif's cookie Mafia"?

Imagine if Mif loved muffins.
    "MIF'S MUFFIN MAFIA, GIVE US YOUR MUFFINS BEFORE WE BREAK YOUR KNEECAPS."

10+ Year Old Account
    "Mif's cookie Mafia"?

You won't be laughing when you wake up with a dolyak's head in your bed >:D

Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post
    You won't be laughing when you wake up with a dolyak's head in your bed >:D
    NOOO

STOP SHOOTING COOKIES AT ME, HELP!

/casts Projectile Reflection spell

THERE!

It's ok...I made them an offer they couldn't refuse.
    2 cases of cookie dough icecream.
    Everyone has they're breaking point.

OP needs to step back and stop thinking about the game for a few days. Get away from forums.

Quote Originally Posted by Squirrelbanes View Post
    It's ok...I made them an offer they couldn't refuse.
    2 cases of cookie dough icecream.
    Everyone has they're breaking point.
    Don't you mean, everyone has their "baking" point? Oh, I crack myself up.

Back to the OP, though, getting hyped for this game is a touch different than the others that have come out recently. Arenanet isn't an unknown - you can see their work habits and the quality of their games simply by going to their website. They have a track record and it's a pretty good one. The last couple of "major" MMOs to come out in the past couple years didn't have this advantage. Sure, we all know Bioware makes solid single-player games, but the MMO business was all new for them.

Moreover, as others have stated, there is a ton of information readily available about the game, itself. Are you still going in "blind"? Sure, because you haven't personally played it. However, you're going in blindfolded after already seeing the course and, honestly, you get a navigator who isn't blindfolded next to you. Of course you could still trip over something you didn't see or forgot about that your spotter didn't call out - but the chances are much, much, much smaller than if you were going in truly blind.

I'm hyped for it, I won't lie. I'm just hoping it doesn't come out in mid-June when my wife and I are expecting our first child. That'll be a hard one to get out of.