Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
1
2
3
LastLast
  1. #21
    The 3750k, a single 680 (for now) and a 120GB SSD is most likely enough for your needs. Add another 680 later on when you feel the single isn't enough and in 2-3 years you buy a complete new rig with whatever hardware is on the market at that time.
    Do you mean the i5 3570K or the i7 3770K? To the best of my knowledge there is no 3750K.
    Intel i5 2500K (4.5 GHz) | Asus Z77 Sabertooth | 8GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600MHz | Gigabyte Windforcex3 HD 7950 | Crucial M4 128GB | Asus Xonar DGX | Samson SR 850 | Zalman ZM-Mic1 | Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB | Noctua NH-U12P SE2 | Fractal Design Arc Midi | Corsair HX650

    Tanking with the Blessing of Kings - The TankSpot Guide to the Protection Paladin - Updated for Patch 5.4!

  2. #22
    If you're spending that much you really should be getting an Intel SSD, sure they cost a bit more (but look does an i7, 680 etc but that's because they're more reliable. Intel have fixed the BSOD bug and use higher quality NAND which should reduce the chance of you having to RMA it (which would cause downtime and reduce the price difference between drives due to shipping).

  3. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by haxartus View Post
    You can't say what will happen in 4 years because the new generation of consoles will be out by then and this will change everything.
    Buy a $2000 PC now, and after 2 years you can sell it for $1000 and get a new one for $2000.
    only thing i can tell is next gen consoles wont be a huge leap from current gen consoles , and im sure sure both sony and micrsoft will go nintendo style this time trust me my insight is telling this . God Bless
    Last edited by Ultimate Gohan; 2012-04-03 at 06:22 PM.

  4. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by Bantokar View Post
    For the SSD I would not go with the force series.. I would go for OCZ Vertex 3 or Crucial M4.
    im going with intel 520 series 240gb ssd . God Bless
    Last edited by Ultimate Gohan; 2012-04-03 at 06:22 PM.

  5. #25
    Fluffy Kitten Marest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    4,228
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    Do you mean the i5 3570K or the i7 3770K? To the best of my knowledge there is no 3750K.
    Ah, sorry. The i5 3570k (got the numbers mixed I guess). At least if Sandy Bridge is any indication, and as HT still benefit games very little I doubt users will see a significant gain with the 3770k.

  6. #26
    Got a AMD Eight-Core. <3
    This beats that damn i7-thing..
    I hate Intel, sorry.

  7. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by emanresu View Post
    If you're spending that much you really should be getting an Intel SSD, sure they cost a bit more (but look does an i7, 680 etc but that's because they're more reliable. Intel have fixed the BSOD bug and use higher quality NAND which should reduce the chance of you having to RMA it (which would cause downtime and reduce the price difference between drives due to shipping).
    yeah i will get intel 520 240gb ssd. God Bless
    Last edited by Ultimate Gohan; 2012-04-03 at 05:42 PM.

  8. #28
    Fluffy Kitten Marest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    4,228
    Quote Originally Posted by Rullor View Post
    Got a AMD Eight-Core. <3
    This beats that damn i7-thing..
    I hate Intel, sorry.
    You are welcome to hate intel as much as you want, but keep it to yourself. You might be perfectly happy with your AMD 8 core, but facts are:

    1. The Sandy Bridge CPUs (and most likely Ivy Bridge as well) perform better in games per clock cycle (the numbers don't lie) and,
    2. 8 cores are almost completely wasted in games. 4 is overkill, 6 is pushing it and 8 is just a complete waste. Most titles are coded to work with dual cores.

  9. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by Rullor View Post
    Got a AMD Eight-Core. <3
    This beats that damn i7-thing..
    I hate Intel, sorry.
    nope amd processors are really waste many amd users themselves has stated that they sold their bulldozers and got intel processors in many benchmaks even phenom processors beats the amd bulldozer and i5 2500k has beat this bulldozer in every benchmarks if not atleast most, also this amd cpu will be a bottleneck for games . God Bless

    ---------- Post added 2012-04-03 at 05:23 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Marest View Post
    You are welcome to hate intel as much as you want, but keep it to yourself. You might be perfectly happy with your AMD 8 core, but facts are:

    1. The Sandy Bridge CPUs (and most likely Ivy Bridge as well) perform better in games per clock cycle (the numbers don't lie) and,
    2. 8 cores are almost completely wasted in games. 4 is overkill, 6 is pushing it and 8 is just a complete waste. Most titles are coded to work with dual cores.
    u are partially correct and partially wrong because amd bulldozer processors have 8 weak cores thats why this processor is really slow and problamatic in cases even i3 2100 comes closer to this processor.
    games sucks on processor not because it has 8 cores its actually because the cores are really weak and no one can able give a perfect reason for it but trust me if games utilise 8 cores at that time this processor suck really bad for gaming . God Bless
    Last edited by Ultimate Gohan; 2012-04-03 at 06:22 PM.

  10. #30
    Pandaren Monk Bantokar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Denmark/USA
    Posts
    1,941
    Quote Originally Posted by Djinni View Post
    Might I ask why you would want a OCZ over a Corsair Force 3?
    Because the OCZ Vertex 3 does better in tests? In fact the Corsair force just very very barely squeeks ahead of the OCZ Agility series. http://www.hardwareheaven.com/review...roduction.html
    Last edited by Bantokar; 2012-04-03 at 12:29 PM.
    8 year olds Dude.

  11. #31
    Fluffy Kitten Marest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    4,228
    Quote Originally Posted by Bantokar View Post
    Because the OCZ Vertex does better in tests?
    It's also haunted by it's reliability and earlier problems with the SandForce controller. OCZ wasn't exactly the fastest to fix the issues either and it took them longer than their competitors to release firmware updates.

  12. #32
    I love playing Total War series with unit size increase mods. my i5 (3 generations old version) is struggling and left me thinking of an upgrade to i7. Do these games use all the HT cores or is a newer i5 clocked to >4ghz the way forward?
    i5 [email protected] -8gb-7970-Dell u2711-2xM4-WCool next

  13. #33
    Pandaren Monk Bantokar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Denmark/USA
    Posts
    1,941
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobhoper View Post
    I love playing Total War series with unit size increase mods. my i5 (3 generations old version) is struggling and left me thinking of an upgrade to i7. Do these games use all the HT cores or is a newer i5 clocked to >4ghz the way forward?
    An SSD or 2 discs in raid 0 would be a much better investment. The total war series can be quite hard on the HDD.


    And FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUU to MMO champs edit function. Just lost an entire post.

    It's also haunted by it's reliability and earlier problems with the SandForce controller. OCZ wasn't exactly the fastest to fix the issues either and it took them longer than their competitors to release firmware updates
    They did have a lot of trouble with the SF controller in the vertex 2 series. Seems to be fixed now.
    Last edited by Bantokar; 2012-04-03 at 01:19 PM.
    8 year olds Dude.

  14. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by Bantokar View Post
    Because the OCZ Vertex 3 does better in tests? In fact the Corsair force just very very barely squeeks ahead of the OCZ Agility series. http://www.hardwareheaven.com/review...roduction.html
    Corsair has several SSD products:
    - Force which is an old product (older SATA 2 Sandforce controller)
    - Force 3 which is an equivalent of OCZ Agility (Sandforce with cheap flash)
    - Force GT which is an equivalent of OCZ Vertex series (Sandforce with pricier, faster synchro flash)
    - Performance Plus which is an equivalent of Crucial M4 (Marvell)

    the difference in performance between all three in normal, daily use (gaming, surfing etc.) is absymal unless you really count that for example The Witcher loads 2 seconds faster or installing the Corel suite gets you 5 more seconds.

    That saying for reliability I still stand for Samsung 830 or Crucial M4.
    Feral4Life since 2005
    cpu: Intel i7-930 @ 4.01GHz mobo: Gigabyte X58A-UD5
    cooling: Scythe Mugen gpu: Gigabyte GTX-670 OC WF3X
    hdd: Samsung F1 and F3 ssd: Samsung 830 sound: X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty Pro
    case: Silverstone Fortress 2 Limited Edition (WRI) (I love that beauty)
    ram: G.Skill GBRL 1600 display: CrossOver 27Q and EIZO FS2331

  15. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by Deng View Post
    Corsair has several SSD products:
    - Force which is an old product (older SATA 2 Sandforce controller)
    - Force 3 which is an equivalent of OCZ Agility (Sandforce with cheap flash)
    - Force GT which is an equivalent of OCZ Vertex series (Sandforce with pricier, faster synchro flash)
    - Performance Plus which is an equivalent of Crucial M4 (Marvell)

    the difference in performance between all three in normal, daily use (gaming, surfing etc.) is absymal unless you really count that for example The Witcher loads 2 seconds faster or installing the Corel suite gets you 5 more seconds.

    That saying for reliability I still stand for Samsung 830 or Crucial M4.
    im getting intel 520 ssd , though force gt is better than intel 520 , intel 520 is reliable. God Bless
    Last edited by Ultimate Gohan; 2012-04-03 at 05:43 PM.

  16. #36
    The Insane DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Illinois, USA
    Posts
    15,085
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultimate Gohan View Post
    i7 3960x just has 3 extra threads and 100 mhz ectra wen compared to 3930k so u cant see any difference between both these 6 core processors especially wen u overclock them. but i7 3930k is $600 while 3960x is $1050.
    I wouldn't bother telling Cyanotical what he can and cannot tell the difference between... While both CPUs are extremely similar, Cyanotical does the stuff (and has the money) to be able to get the 3960X and not have us all call him out.

    Hell just a year ago he bought an i7-990X... lol

    ---------- Post added 2012-04-03 at 02:13 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Bantokar View Post
    They did have a lot of trouble with the SF controller in the vertex 2 series. Seems to be fixed now.
    Actually no, it was in the Vertex 3 series. SandForce 2281 really was a huge pain for OCZ, and I was one of the people who experienced it first hand, since I had gotten an OCZ Agility 3 120GB last June... after a week of pain, I returned it for a Crucial m4 128GB, which has been a huge improvement and worked with 0 flaws.

  17. #37
    I am Murloc! Cyanotical's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Aurora, Co
    Posts
    5,105
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultimate Gohan View Post
    i7 3960x just has 3 extra threads and 100 mhz ectra wen compared to 3930k so u cant see any difference between both these 6 core processors especially wen u overclock them. but i7 3930k is $600 while 3960x is $1050.
    threads? i think you mean layer 3 cache, which does make a difference, not a $500 difference, but that is not the reason people buy the 3960x

    yes a 3770k/3750k will last you 4 years, computer hardware is so far ahead of consoles that the PS4 and 720 are already behind, so a computer made today will be able to play the latest console ports with ease

    if you plan on spending 4K on this, spend 2K on your tower, and then get a nice IPS monitor, premium sound, mechanical keyboard etc

    i7-4790K | Z97 Class. | 8GB DDR3-2133 | GTX-690 Quad SLI | RAIDR | 512GB Samsung 830 | AX1200 | FT02
    Dell U2711 | Ducky Shine3 YoS | Steelseries Sensei Wireless | Xonar Essence One | KRK RP8G2s

  18. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    threads? i think you mean layer 3 cache, which does make a difference, not a $500 difference, but that is not the reason people buy the 3960x

    yes a 3770k/3750k will last you 4 years, computer hardware is so far ahead of consoles that the PS4 and 720 are already behind, so a computer made today will be able to play the latest console ports with ease

    if you plan on spending 4K on this, spend 2K on your tower, and then get a nice IPS monitor, premium sound, mechanical keyboard etc
    i already have 5.1 dolby speakers , and im getting razer blackwidow ultimate mechanical keyboard, razer deathadder mouse.
    ips is nt meant for gaming and at 27'' u can never note difference between 1080p and 1440p , im buying 120hz 3d monitor while all ips monitor are costly as well as 60hz and asus vg278h has 2ms input lag while ips monitors have more than 7ms input lag plus color reproduction, dynamic contrast ratio far better dan any other ips monitor plus i really love 3d . God Bless
    Last edited by Ultimate Gohan; 2012-04-03 at 06:23 PM.

  19. #39
    The Insane DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Illinois, USA
    Posts
    15,085
    Are they 5.1 Logitech Dolby? Or what? Bet they are not anywhere near what Cyanotical was speaking.

    Razer Blackwidow Ultimate is one of the worst and most flimsy mechanical keyboards on the market.

    Razer Death Adder is probably Razer's best product they've ever made, one of the few that are okay.

    IPS can be for gaming, gamers who use IPS see games with far better colors and the input lag of 7ms is so minor, that I highly HIGHLY doubt even you would notice the difference between it and 2ms.

    And hardly notice the difference between 1080p and 1440p? I'm sorry but is your eyesight bad? The more pixels, the better the look of games/pictures/videos, because the pixel density is better, thus things are reproduced better and better.

    At least you're looking into a 120Hz monitor though, otherwise I'd be disappoint. ;p IPS or 120Hz or don't even talk about having $4k to spend on a computer.

    ---------- Post added 2012-04-03 at 02:36 PM ----------

    You come here asking for help/opinions, thus it is apparent to some degree you respect our knowledge in the field (not sucking up but Cyanotical is easily one of the most knowledgeable on this entire forum with a crap ton of experience) so why when we make suggestions do you shoot them down? It seems like you must know everything you need to know, because I assure you, most of Razer products now are not made to last 3 to 4 years. A few years ago? Yes, but all I ever hear now is people getting replacements all the time.

  20. #40
    I am Murloc! Cyanotical's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Aurora, Co
    Posts
    5,105
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultimate Gohan View Post
    i already have 5.1 dolby speakers , and im getting razer blackwidow ultimate mechanical keyboard, razer deathadder mouse.
    ips is nt meant for gaming and at 27'' u can never note difference between 1080p and 1440p , im buying 120hz 3d monitor while all ips monitor are costly as well as 60hz and asus vg278h has 2ms input lag while ips monitors have more than 7ms input lag plus color reproduction, dynamic contrast ratio far better dan any other ips monitor plus i really love 3d
    if your 5.1 are computer speakers, then they aren't very good, you do have to spend a decent amount for quality audio

    the Blackwidow Ultimate is an okay starter mechanical, but it has its issues, i'd go with a Corsair K90 first, personally i use a Ducky

    you can see the difference between 1080 and 1440 on a 27" screen, it's clear as day, 1080 has no business being larger then 24", also, you can't compare the response time with an IPS, they work slightly different, personally, i find that the higher resolution and better picture quality of the 27" IPS, beat out the 120Hz/3D for gaming

    and 3d is cool and all, (i like playing minecraft in 3d) it gets old after a while, and the glasses are not very comfortable

    ---------- Post added 2012-04-03 at 08:43 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    (not sucking up but Cyanotical is easily one of the most knowledgeable on this entire forum with a crap ton of experience
    im sure most of the mods know stuff i don't, but thats the advantage of a forum, its hard to find a subject that nobody has any knowledge/experience with

    i7-4790K | Z97 Class. | 8GB DDR3-2133 | GTX-690 Quad SLI | RAIDR | 512GB Samsung 830 | AX1200 | FT02
    Dell U2711 | Ducky Shine3 YoS | Steelseries Sensei Wireless | Xonar Essence One | KRK RP8G2s

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •