Page 1 of 3
LastLast

i7 3770k vs i7 3930k

Hey guys,
    Im building a new gaming pc for $4000-$4500 by next month and next month ivy bridge is coming out so i guys please tell me whether should i get i7 3770k or i7 3930k for gaming . And i dont want to upgrade my cpu for another 3-4 years so if i buy 3770k will it last that long.

Also when do u guys expect games to utilize more than 4 cores.

My build :
    Intel i7 3930k
    Asus Rampage iv extreme
    HAF X cabinet
    Corsair dominator gt 2133 mhz 16gb ram
    Evga gtx 680 4gb sli
    Corsair AX1200 watts psu
    Corsair H100 liquid cpu cooler
    Lg bluray burner
    Intel 520 series 240gb SSD
    Seagate Barracuda 1tb HDD
    Seagate goflex 1tb ultra portable external HDD
    Asus VG278H 3D 27" Monitor
    APC UPS Pro 1000VA UPS
    Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth Mechanical keyboard
    Razer carcharias headset

You can also tell your suggestions for my build, if u have any better parts in your mind.

Thanks in advance your info guys . God Bless
    Last edited by Ultimate Gohan; 2012-04-03 at 06:18 PM.

The one thing you need to include are your predicted uses for the computer. Describe your gaming needs, too. Specific game titles help a lot.

The build you listed is far and away overkill for pretty much anything a consumer might need to do.
    Last edited by Marksman79; 2012-04-03 at 04:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Marksman79 View Post
    The one thing you need to include are your predicted uses for the computer. The build you listed is far and away overkill for pretty much anything a consumer might need to do.
    Yep. Spending many, many thousands of dollars on a top-end PC won't really do much do extend the lifespan of your PC either. You're far, far, far better off spending $2000 on a PC now, and another $2000 on a PC in 2 or so years. Tuck the extra money under a mattress in the meantime. About 8 months ago, I built a killer high-end system for $1100 bucks. It isn't the best of the best, but it wasn't too far from it.

The one thing you need to include are your predicted uses for the computer. The build you listed is far and away overkill for pretty much anything a consumer might need to do.
    He said "gaming" and that he wants it to last for 3-4 years.

I think you'll be safe with that setup for 3-4 years.

Personally, I'd buy second-best and upgrade more often to lessen the up-front expenditure. But if you're loaded, go for it. Or send me the extra money.

Quote Originally Posted by Llunai View Post
    Yep. Spending many, many thousands of dollars on a top-end PC won't really do much do extend the lifespan of your PC either. You're far, far, far better off spending $2000 on a PC now, and another $2000 on a PC in 2 or so years.
    This is the best solution to the rarely encountered issue of having too much money to spend on a computer. I would, however, spend a little more money now for things like a case and PSU. The case, if cared for, will last multiple builds, and if you grab that 1200V PSU now (as long as it has a 7+ year warranty), it should last alongside the case.

I'd recommend getting an Intel SSD, they have a significantly lower failure rate than their competitors. If you want an edge in performance get 2 120GB SSDs and Raid 0 them, but make sure as always you have a back-up just in case

---------- Post added 2012-04-03 at 04:33 AM ----------

This is the best solution to the rarely encountered issue of having too much money to spend on a computer. I would, however, spend a little more money now for things like a case and PSU. The case, if cared for, will last multiple builds, and if you grab that 1200V PSU now (as long as it has a 7+ year warranty), it should last alongside the case.
    Couldn't agree more, I personally like to get a new case, usually get them on sale anyways, with a new build, but both Case, and PSU are great through multiple builds. I've had the same 850watt PSU for... 4 years so far now.
    Last edited by Moucalgeon; 2012-04-03 at 04:34 AM.

Oh absolutely. Case, power supply, mouse n keyboard, and, most importantly, the monitor, are things that can be used twice. The same could apply to hard drives as well - just use the old drives for storage.

I think I'm on my fourth build with my current case, a painstakingly modded old P180b, and third with my current monitor (which I've been looking to replace lately).
    Last edited by Llunai; 2012-04-03 at 04:38 AM.

If you aren't streaming your games it's kinda pointless to get all that hardware. If you want the best and don't care obviously the 3930k is the best choice. If you get it have fun with the 4.5 OC.

I don't get why people feel always inclined on throwing out random advice without even remotely answering the question.
    But well with that budget I definitely wouldn't get anything below an extreme edition cpu. What do you need an ups for you live in some third world country ?
    Anyways I doubt that you will see real use for 6core cpus in mainstream gaming in the next two years but I gladly admit that I could be entirely wrong on that. Personally I would get a different psu....the corsairs are decent but there are better ones. Also I am no fan at all of the sandforce controller and therefore would recommend getting either a samsung or an Intel ssd, the difference in speed is negligible under working conditions.
    The Asus monitor is great but again personally I wouldn't pay 500 for a tn panel but well if you are really only gaming I believe you should be quite satisfied nonetheless.
    Last edited by cFortyfive; 2012-04-03 at 04:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by whoranzone View Post
    I don't get why people feel always inclined on throwing out random advice without even remotely answering the question.
    But well with that budget I definitely wouldn't get anything below an extreme edition cpu. What do you need an ups for you live in some third world country ?
    Anyways I doubt that you will see real use for 6core cpus in mainstream gaming in the next two years but I gladly admit that I could be entirely wrong on that. Personally I would get a different psu....the corsairs are decent but there are better ones. Also I am no fan at all of the sandforce controller and therefore would recommend getting either a samsung or an Intel ssd, the difference in speed is negligible under working conditions.
    The Asus monitor is great but again personally I wouldn't pay 500 for a tn panel but well if you are really only gaming I believe you should be quite satisfied nonetheless.
    We're giving advice about things he didn't ask for because we're self-important and we think everybody cares to hear our opinions. Obviously. Also, we think he's silly for spending that much on one rig

As for the UPS, you obviously don't live anywhere that has brownouts. UPS's are very handy to many of us.

And the reason he's getting a $500 TN panel is because its an ultra-high-end 120hz refresh rate screen, perfect for the highest-end FPS gaming and such. Let's hope that he has need for such a thing, as I'm sure most of us could never tell the difference!

Quote Originally Posted by Arlor View Post
    He said "gaming" and that he wants it to last for 3-4 years.

I think you'll be safe with that setup for 3-4 years.

Personally, I'd buy second-best and upgrade more often to lessen the up-front expenditure. But if you're loaded, go for it. Or send me the extra money.
    very funny . God Bless

---------- Post added 2012-04-03 at 10:33 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Barnabas View Post
    If you aren't streaming your games it's kinda pointless to get all that hardware. If you want the best and don't care obviously the 3930k is the best choice. If you get it have fun with the 4.5 OC.
    i will overclock it to 5ghz atleast my friend recently purchased a pc with the same 3930k and i overclocked it upto 5.2ghz . God Bless

---------- Post added 2012-04-03 at 10:39 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Llunai View Post
    We're giving advice about things he didn't ask for because we're self-important and we think everybody cares to hear our opinions. Obviously. Also, we think he's silly for spending that much on one rig

As for the UPS, you obviously don't live anywhere that has brownouts. UPS's are very handy to many of us.

And the reason he's getting a $500 TN panel is because its an ultra-high-end 120hz refresh rate screen, perfect for the highest-end FPS gaming and such. Let's hope that he has need for such a thing, as I'm sure most of us could never tell the difference!
    U forgot to mention that this monitor also features 3d . God Bless

---------- Post added 2012-04-03 at 10:41 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by whoranzone View Post
    I will go with intel 520 series 240gb SSD . God Bless
    Last edited by Ultimate Gohan; 2012-04-03 at 06:21 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    the 3930k is not an Ivybridge CPU, its a Sandybridge-E CPU, the 3770k is the better choice for just gaming

also, overall speed is rather meaningless when it comes to SSDs, random reads and IOPS are what you look for

Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    the 3930k is not an Ivybridge CPU, its a Sandybridge-E CPU, the 3770k is the better choice for just gaming

also, overall speed is rather meaningless when it comes to SSDs, random reads and IOPS are what you look for
    your signature displays i7 3960x, 32gbram . God Bless
    Last edited by Ultimate Gohan; 2012-04-03 at 06:21 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultimate Gohan View Post
    your signature displays i7 3960x, 32gbram
    yes, it does, but i also do more then gaming, i do a lot of VM work, and CPU intensive work like encryption processing, if i were to build a computer just for gaming, it would be a 2500k, or the upcoming 3750k with only 8gb of ram

Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    yes, it does, but i also do more then gaming, i do a lot of VM work, and CPU intensive work like encryption processing, if i were to build a computer just for gaming, it would be a 2500k, or the upcoming 3750k with only 8gb of ram
    i7 3960x just has 3 extra threads and 100 mhz ectra wen compared to 3930k so u cant see any difference between both these 6 core processors especially wen u overclock them. but i7 3930k is $600 while 3960x is $1050.
    i think i will buy i7 3770k but still i wil see other opinions too.
    do u think i7 3770k will last me for 3-4 years . God Bless
    Last edited by Ultimate Gohan; 2012-04-03 at 06:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimate Gohan View Post
    Corsair SSD's are the best it is more powerful than anyother ssd's
    It doesn't differ much from any other Sandforce + Synchro NAND/or Marvell based drive (depends on the model).
    And in the real world testing it is often slower than Samsung 830 (not that it matters anyway because the speed differences are neglible).
    Last edited by Deng; 2012-04-03 at 07:40 AM.
    Feral4Life since 2005
    cpu: Intel i9-9900K mobo: ASUS Maximus XI Extreme
    cooling: BeQuiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro gpu: ASUS RTX-2080 Ti
    ssd: Samsung 970Pro, 960 Evo, 860 Evo sound: sadly onboard
    case: Silverstone Fortress 2 Limited Edition (WRI) (I love that beauty)
    ram: 32G G.Skill 3200 C14 display: ACER X27 (G-Sync HDR IPS)

You can't say what will happen in 4 years because the new generation of consoles will be out by then and this will change everything.
    Buy a $2000 PC now, and after 2 years you can sell it for $1000 and get a new one for $2000.

Deleted
    For the SSD I would not go with the force series.. I would go for OCZ Vertex 3 or Crucial M4.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bantokar View Post
    For the SSD I would not go with the force series.. I would go for OCZ Vertex 3 or Crucial M4.

Might I ask why you would want a OCZ over a Corsair Force 3?

Deleted
    As others have said, you are better off spending $1500-2000 now and then another $2000 when that becomes obsolete. Unless you are aiming for enthusiast levels of hardware there really is little point.

The 3570k, a single 680 (for now) and a 120GB SSD is most likely enough for your needs. Add another 680 later on when you feel the single isn't enough and in 2-3 years you buy a complete new rig with whatever hardware is on the market at that time.

And for how long these components last, that's for the user to decide. A CPU can easily "last" for 5 years, but it won't be able to perform compared to current generation hardware. If you are happy with low settings in demanding games, the 3570k will probably last 4 years, but at the same time it's hard to predict the future.

At least that's my honest recommendation. It's your money and you are free to do whatever you want with them.
    Last edited by mmoc7c6c75675f; 2012-04-03 at 11:41 AM.