PS3 has stopped reading Discs.

PLEASE DO NOT GO OFF-TOPIC. NO XBOX VS PS3 COMMENTS EITHER. THANKS.

So I went to play my PS3 today after months of not playing.. and I went to put in the new Silent hill (which I just bought) and it wouldn't appear on the XMB - So I decided to try an other game to see if it was just the silent hill CD that was faulty.. Didn't wanna read my other games either. Funny thing is at the top right corner I can see the lil loading thing spinning non-stop but the game itself never appears.

I did the "System Update" and tried the 3rd option.. I forget what its called. And after much much Rage I decided to do a System Restore. After 10 minutes of quietly crying into my couch because of all the save files I just lost.. it STILL did not read my discs.

I tried to restore again.. and this time it said. "Hard disk corrupted" and it prompt me to restore it.. so I press ok.. it stayed stuck on 19% for a while.. then screen went black - PS3 sign appears and it gives me the same message.. "Hard Disk Corrupted". It did this about 5 times, until I finally just rage quit and turned it off and pronounced my PS3 dead.

Anyone else have this issue..? Did you fix it? Please tell me how..

So close to just going out to buy a new PS3.. but I want to know if this is just some messed up firmware or I'm just that unlucky.

15+ Year Old Account
    looks like your who ever lives with you wanted to clean your room and did a little cleaning on your ps3

They would probably be able to answer this better in the gaming section.

Quote Originally Posted by Twiddly View Post
    They would probably be able to answer this better in the gaming section.
    Hm.. true..

If a MOD sees this can you do me the favor of moving this to the gaming section. Much appreciated.

Yep your PS3 is done

Your Ps3 is fried. Happened to me with my original model. Called Sony and had to send it to them. It sucks. I would try calling them first to be sure but they'll just have you do the things you've already done I believe. They'll probably tell you to send it to them for 90 bucks.

I would seriously suggest buying a new one yourself. I think I went through 4 Ps3's in the span on 3-4 months(Thankfully all but my original was covered by the 90 day warranty they give you when you send it to them) when I started having them refurbish it. One of them was sent back to me broken and had to be immediately returned. Which is great when the entire return process takes 2-3 weeks. It's just one big headache.
    Last edited by RollTide; 2012-04-03 at 06:16 AM.

I had this issue around 2008 or 2009 (minus the corrupt hard drive), think of it as the red ring for PS3. I called support and I told them what had happened and they said that that issue was becoming more widespread and that it was covered by warranty, however you need the receipt to prove that its in warranty otherwise its $50.

sent it in, about a week later all was well.

The Patient
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lokoz View Post
    PLEASE DO NOT GO OFF-TOPIC. NO XBOX VS PS3 COMMENTS EITHER. THANKS.

So I went to play my PS3 today after months of not playing.. and I went to put in the new Silent hill (which I just bought) and it wouldn't appear on the XMB - So I decided to try an other game to see if it was just the silent hill CD that was faulty.. Didn't wanna read my other games either. Funny thing is at the top right corner I can see the lil loading thing spinning non-stop but the game itself never appears.

I did the "System Update" and tried the 3rd option.. I forget what its called. And after much much Rage I decided to do a System Restore. After 10 minutes of quietly crying into my couch because of all the save files I just lost.. it STILL did not read my discs.

I tried to restore again.. and this time it said. "Hard disk corrupted" and it prompt me to restore it.. so I press ok.. it stayed stuck on 19% for a while.. then screen went black - PS3 sign appears and it gives me the same message.. "Hard Disk Corrupted". It did this about 5 times, until I finally just rage quit and turned it off and pronounced my PS3 dead.

Anyone else have this issue..? Did you fix it? Please tell me how..

So close to just going out to buy a new PS3.. but I want to know if this is just some messed up firmware or I'm just that unlucky.

Actually, this problem does happen a bit but there is a semi-cheap solution. Go out and buy a new HDD for it. They really aren't that expensive.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822136769 Off of Newegg.com. That is the first hard drive I seen, costs less then Sony to look at it and is probably a lot larger then what you had in it. You simply remove the old one, place the new on in there and let it format. The system will do the rest. The downside is that you lost all your save data and probably your trophies if you haven't updated it in a while.

That.. or you can wait till the next patch hits. Sometimes the patches will corrupt a hard drive, specially on an older model PS3. They do put in fixes for them, you'd just have to give it a bit to come out. But a good way to start the ball rolling is to actually talk to Sony about the issue. You might need to call them or shoot them an email through customer service. It would do a lot better then replying here.

Quote Originally Posted by Erixi View Post
    Actually, this problem does happen a bit but there is a semi-cheap solution. Go out and buy a new HDD for it. They really aren't that expensive.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822136769 Off of Newegg.com. That is the first hard drive I seen, costs less then Sony to look at it and is probably a lot larger then what you had in it. You simply remove the old one, place the new on in there and let it format. The system will do the rest. The downside is that you lost all your save data and probably your trophies if you haven't updated it in a while.

That.. or you can wait till the next patch hits. Sometimes the patches will corrupt a hard drive, specially on an older model PS3. They do put in fixes for them, you'd just have to give it a bit to come out. But a good way to start the ball rolling is to actually talk to Sony about the issue. You might need to call them or shoot them an email through customer service. It would do a lot better then replying here.

yeahh thats what I was thinking but.. I dont want to buy an HDD only to end up returning it the same day.. and most stores are all "once its open no return".

10+ Year Old Account
    If its a fat PS3 its just old and will keep having problems.

10+ Year Old Account
    I bought my ps3 about a year after the release, i still got one of those big clunky ones. Haven't failed me yet, and works like a charm. Never had any problem with it. Sucks for you though.
    I registered on MMO-Champion, and all I got was this lousy signature...

Deleted
    Okay, this is slightly off topic (I think everyone agrees that the PS3 is simply fried) but so other people who read this forum know and the OP knows in future, you can copy all your saved game data to USB devices, either a thumb drive or an external HDD. I regularly back up (especially if I'm "archiving" a game) the saved game data, every 2-3 months. When you have 100's of hours of Final Fantasy or Skyrim saved, the ability to back it up is invaluable. If you are a playstation plus subscriber, you can even store saves 'in the cloud' too.

I dont get this, i dont mean to be rude to OP but why do people constantly come to these forums when they have problems with a specific game or console. 100% of the time those games or consoles have an entire forum dedicated to them with a technical support forum as well, and possibly tech support numbers you can call. Like with OP im going to post and tell him to go to Sony forums or call Sony tech support. I dont know what he could hope that we would be able to gleam off this situation that sony, the makers of the ps3 cant.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9bNb8KARN0 <- That's how you fix it.

If that doesn't work try buying a new PS3 HDD.

If that doesn't work send it to SONY.

I've personally had 2 major problems with my PlayStation2 Slim in 2 years and they were very costly to repair so I moved away from Sony (replace reading laser & power source). Also have been unlucky with things like joysticks breaking (vibrations stopped working, certain buttons stopped working etc.) in around a year or so.