Thread: Shadow Man

Deleted

Shadow Man

Back in 1999 I worked as audio director on the Acclaim video game Shadow Man. There is a facebook fan group

http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/15818496890/

(removed related music thing - you can find it on the fan page)
    Last edited by mmoca5c1a5bf72; 2012-04-03 at 08:58 AM. Reason: remove something that might be not allowed

10+ Year Old Account
    Edit: Loved shadow man back in the days, should replay it soon

Easily one of my favorite games ever, actually
    Last edited by jvbastel; 2012-04-03 at 09:07 AM.
    Monk, I need a monk!!!

Deleted
    Good point, I've edited the initial post - I think linking the fan page is ok, just not the music - so its been edited - could you edit your response thanks.

I glad you loved Shadow Man, I loved working on it - and still love it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I loved that game. I went around going "C'mon, slowpoke!" for months after I finished it.
    Mountains rise in the distance stalwart as the stars, fading forever.
    Roads ever weaving, soul ever seeking the hunter's mark.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    I loved that game. I went around going "C'mon, slowpoke!" for months after I finished it.
    We had to be really careful recording the young kid doing Luke's voice, his parents were also actors so that helped, in fact the only thing they were not happy about was the phrase "God Damn", they asked for it to be changed to "Hot Damn", on account of them putting him into bible studies around the time. They didn't mind it being a horror game though, on account of it not being about Christianity in anyway - which is true. We really didn't want to go the devil worship route with it - it was a totally new mythology loosely based around Voodoo and Hoodu, but only in very cosmetic terms, we made almost everything up - which made it safely fantasy.

Acclaim did get into some trouble over the game though, the phrase "After dying, killing is easy" was initially used in advertising, but Greg Fishbache actually got pulled into congress about that phrasing, in the after math of Collumbine, due to "video games" being accussed of influencing the killers.

I think it only helped fuel the publicity for the game, which went to sell over 1 million copies (across all formats), which at the time was really great for a new franchise.

My favourite part of Shadow Man is the Playrooms in the Asylum, everything about that section of the game seemed perfect at the time, and even to this day the atmosphere created in there is very disturbing!