[PvP] Protection paladin MOP beta status Buffs/Nerfs

Playing Sword & Board was always fun for me in PvP and I would realy like to see it as a viable and fun option in Battlegrounds and World PvP in MoP.

Blizzard stated that prot play in PvP has its place, but at the moment the situation is far from good and fun. Due to several nerfs during the year prot palies serves only as a meat bags who can hold a flag or spot a little longer in some situations compared to other specs/classes, extremely vulnerable to spellcasters and kitting.
    Prot paladins had their golden age during WotLK where they have been nice alternative to Ret as with PvP gear and glyphs they were not OP damage or mitigation wise just had little more defence and little less damage (burst) compared to Ret.
    In Cata it was viable and fun two times - but due to several nerfs (specially WoG nerf) and then Vengeance nerf later it has very little use...

IMO blizzard should make tanks either be:

1. a super anoying interupters,CCers with pasive group damage mitigation/protection buffs, strong self defensive CDs and little damage
    or
    2. an alternative to dps spec with little less dmg and little more mitigation as it was in WOTLK

In MoP there are some changes incomming and I took a quick look and made a summary. Please let me know if I forgot something or if Im wrong somewhere. Dont Troll this post with "STFU prots, go play PvE" responses.

Offensives:

Crusader strike - melee - 4,5sec - 160% weap dmg
    BUFF - 160% weap dmg (was 135% weap dmg)
    NERF - Prot had 3sec CD in Cata for prot paladins now its 4,5 for all specs
    NERF - Talent Wrath of Lightbringer is no more (increase damage of CS and Judgment by 100%)
    NERF - Talent Vindication is no more (Weakened blows debuff reducing physical damage of enemy by 10% for 30sec only applies to Hammer of Rghteous now)
    NERF - Talent Rule of law gone (increasing crit of CS, HoTR, WOG)
    NERF - Talent Crusade gone (increasing damage of CS, HotR)

Judgement - 30y - 6sec - Holy Dmg - Generates HoPo
    BUFF - 30y range, 6sec CD, HoPo generation
    NERF - Wrath of Lightbringer talent (more dmg) gone
    NERF - Arbiter of Light (more crit) gone
    Note - overall best spell with all those talents buffing it, lets hope damage will be good/better

Avengers Shield - 30y - 15sec - 3sec Silence
    SAME - Glyph of Dazing Shield: 10 sec daze duration
    SAME - Glyph of Focused Shield: 2 fewer targets, 30% more damage
    SAME - Grand Crusader - 20% chance to reset AS cooldown and generate 1HoPo if used within 6 sec so its SAME as now.

Holy Wrath - melee - 9sec - aoe dmg and 3 sec stun (demons, undead)
    SAME - almost. Hammer of Righteous is better imo for aoe spam protecting the flag. Must be carefull to use this on CD as it can break CCs.

Consecration - melee aoe - 9 sec - 1000 Holy damage aoe
    BUFF - Glyph of Consecration - you can cast it anywhere 25y from you. Must be carefull to use this on CD as it can break CCs.

Shield of Righteous - melee - 3HoPo - 4063Holy Dmg + 25% additional block
    BUFF? - Glyph of Alabaster shield - Increases the damage of SotR by 50% but reduces the amount it blocks by 20%.
    NERF - Sacred Duty talent gone

Overall and Other offensive nerfs:

NERF - Wrath of Lightbringer talent gone (more damage, more crit)
    NERF - Reckoning talent gone (more damage proc)
    NERF - Sacred Duty talent gone (20% proc for SoTR 100% crit)
    NERF - Shield of the Templar talent gone (instant 3 HoPo)
    NERF - Divine Plea gone (mana regen, 3HoPo with above talent)
    NERF - Inquisition gone (more dmg - situational)
    NERF - Hammer of wrath gone (big nerf to lose this finisher)

Defensives:

WoG - Burst Heal, HoPo, 1.5sec CD
    BUFF - WoG on no CD again one would say there is a potential to be very hard to kill but...
    NERF - as ppl already report WoG heals not enough for prot and the talent increasing its effectiveness and creating overheal bubble "Guarded by the light" is gone.

Sacred Shield
    NEW - is back yay!, but only as a talent. Selfless healer will be proly better as Judgment in MoP looks like super OP spell with all those talents and changes buffing it.

The rest of them is still there slightly modyfied - GoAK (on 3min CD), AD, DS, DP (40% spell reduction) but...
    NERF - Shield Of the Templar talent is gone which allowed us to use Divine plea to generate HoPo instantly to use them defensively or offensively
    NERF - Divine Guardian gone (20% less dmg on friendly players)

OTHERS:

Cleanse - 8sec CD, Removing all Poison and Disease
    BUFF - Glyph of Cleansing - Your Cleanse will remove one movement impairing effect if cast on yourself. This is nice but hard to decide as the other 3 glyphs I mentioned above are needed as well.
    BUFF - all poison and disese stacks dispell
    NERF - 8sec CD

Blinding Light - 3 min cooldown - Emits a dazzling light in all directions, blinding enemies within 10 yards, causing them to wander disoriented for 6 sec.
    BUFF - hudge buff, the Glyph making it 3sec stun is nice as well.

Guarded by the Light -Increases your total Stamina by 15%. Reduces the chance you will be critically hit by melee attacks by 6%. Word of Glory is no longer on the global cooldown. Increases your spell power by an amount equal to 100% of your Strength. Grants 6% of maximum mana every 2 sec.
    BUFF - This one is really better as pasive mana regen rocks compared to cata "Judgements of the Wise", also spell power modifier is from 60% to 100%

The other utility spells $ buffs are still there more or less with some nice new modifications or glyph options.

Talents - there is some good potential in talents to create and try several interesting builds. As of now I think of:

http://mop.wowhead.com/mists-of-pand...alculator#lxMF

It feels like prot paladin lost half of its abilities and action bars feels half empty even PvE wise. Im also afraid of Critical Strike situation, many talents buffing it are gone and in beta it looks like no one crit much. From PVP point of view the curent beta status looks even worse then Cata. The only thing I see improved is Judgment spell, few new lvl 90 sells and slight mobility increase from talents.

Its early beta so lets hope this will change and prot will become more complex, fun and usefull in PvP and PvE.

Posts from Blizzard regarding Prot Paly concerns:

http://blue.mmo-champion.com/topic/2...ction-paladin/
    Last edited by Tullkas; 2012-04-04 at 06:51 AM.

Thanks for the write up, good information here.

I played Ret PvP through BC and the beginning of WoTLK and turned to Prot towards the end of Wrath and beginning of Cata.

I thoroughly enjoyed playing prot in Cata and did well in BGs and decent in Arena (~2k rating in 2s).
    When they made the WoG change it kinda killed the fun of prot PvP for me.

Looks like that fun might return in MoP, some added utility to go along with survival and decent damage. I am looking forward to more information in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Tullkas View Post
    Mana regen mechanic doesnt exist as well for now - No mana on dodge/parry/block, no mana on Judgement, no Divine Plea. From PVP point of view the curent beta status looks even worse then Cata.
    The new Guarded by the Light passive gives 5% of your maximum mana every 2 seconds unless that's another thing they have changed on Beta >.>

Quote Originally Posted by learntotank View Post
    The new Guarded by the Light passive gives 5% of your maximum mana every 2 seconds unless that's another thing they have changed on Beta >.>
    http://mop.wowhead.com/spell=53592, ye looks like its 6% every 2sec, just doesnt show in tooltip yet.

Deleted
    So to summarize it up Prot Paladin goes both casual AND worse than Cataclysm? Even more useless compared to Bear / Warrior? N1 Blizzard

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lychnuchus View Post
    So to summarize it up Prot Paladin goes both casual AND worse than Cataclysm? Even more useless compared to Bear / Warrior? N1 Blizzard
    What? Not in the slightest.

@OP, Sacred shield is good. You get 30% more WoG crit with it, and the absorbs are rather powerful atm.

Deleted
    Any update on this? From the talents point of view it seems doable to return to prot pvp. Any beta lvl 90 pala tried this for a period of time and could share his thoughts?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drphyll View Post
    Any update on this? From the talents point of view it seems doable to return to prot pvp. Any beta lvl 90 pala tried this for a period of time and could share his thoughts?
    Please refrain from posting in threads over a month old. They can contain out of date information (especially if they're about beta content, like this one is) that can cause confusion.

For this particular topic, I recommend looking at this thread for more information.

Closing.
    Host of Talking Skritt, a GW2 podcast!