"Weather Proofing" Does it work?

Is it possible to buy a weather proof Ethernet cord? If not, can you make one so? I am trying to run an Ethernet cord from the basement to the top floor (3 stories). The only way that I can have this work is if I run the cord on the outside of the house.

On the other hand, do they even NEED to be weather proofed?

Thanks to all in advance!

No need to do anything for the cable itself, but the holes that go through walls is another thing.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Yeah, I have some filler stuff(can't remember the name) for the holes. Thanks Vesseblah.

On the lower side of the cable, make sure that you make a loop, so the water that will drain on the cable will not go into your house, through the hole in the wall.

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    On the lower side of the cable, make sure that you make a loop, so the water that will drain on the cable will not go into your house, through the hole in the wall.
    Excellent advice, make sure to do this.

Also, while the cable itself is weather resistant per se, the plastic will degrade with time, especially if suspect to a lot of direct sunlight and such - personally I would try to find a way to cover it up, either just covering it somehow or drawing it through a tube of some kind, if you expect it'll be a long term solution. Some flexible tubing with big enough inner diameter shouldn't be too expensive, and doesn't look incredibly ugly either if you do a good job at it. it will protect the cable from sunlight and direct contact with the weather so to speak, and this will extend the lifetime of it a great deal. Don't forget the loop to drain water even if you do this though - water has a way of seeping through everywhere, so better safe than sorry.
    I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like more than half of you more than you deserve.

Quote Originally Posted by Chitoh View Post
    Is it possible to buy a weather proof Ethernet cord? If not, can you make one so? I am trying to run an Ethernet cord from the basement to the top floor (3 stories). The only way that I can have this work is if I run the cord on the outside of the house.

On the other hand, do they even NEED to be weather proofed?

Thanks to all in advance!
    Yes.

http://www.amazon.com/Outdoor-Waterp.../dp/B002HFEBYM

Deleted
    "Waterproof", seriously Luminair? All LAN cables I've seen in my life come coated and each cable inside is coated aswell. I'm pretty sure that's waterproof.

Quote Originally Posted by Luminair View Post
    That's meant to be buried, any normal Ethernet cable is water proof.

While they are weatherproof, I'd play it safe.
    Also, while the cable itself is weather resistant per se, the plastic will degrade with time, especially if suspect to a lot of direct sunlight and such - personally I would try to find a way to cover it up
    If you're broke and need a cheap alternative, grab some saran wrap and double wrap the exposed sections. Can't harm it, at least. Spray it down with something like Raid so pests don't try to nibble it through.
    || Ducivo ||

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ballem View Post
    Spray it down with something like Raid so pests don't try to nibble it through.
    not a bad idea at all.

@OP - get some of this stuff:

and run the ethernet cable through it. Silicone the top of the tube shut (silicone it well so that no water can get in) but leave the bottom open for any condensation etc., etc. runoff

loop the bottom like someone said (or at least make the cable run a few inches below where it goes back into the house before going into the house) and seal both entry holes (in the basement and up above)

other than that you shouldn't have to do anything
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

Deleted
    Yeah the copex is a good idea you beat me to it :P

PVC tubing is another alternative, it's very easy to install as it is push fittings with a IP paste at the joins to stop water etc getting in, plus it's a neater job than the copex. You'd also need to use end boxes at the ends with a gasket under the lid to help contain the IP rating of the enclosure.

Either or though make sure you leave excess cable either end.

Yes cables are indeed waterproof, however over time they degrade due to water damage and more so sun damage. The outer sheath ( usually PVC ) goes brittle and it can in turn effect the copper conductors. Ofc this would take a few years to do so.

Source : fully qualified electrician :P
    Last edited by mmocc8dd4634ec; 2012-04-04 at 04:48 PM.