Page 19 of 68 FirstFirst ...
9
17
18
19
20
21
29
... LastLast
  1. #361
    No need, they have a 14 day trial.
    Active PoE: @MajorAsshole EvE: Redblade (Reikoku)
    Inactive D3: Armory Rift: Alyssaa @ Icewatch SWTOR: Redblade @ ToFN WoW: My graveyard of characters.
    People just do the strangest things when they believe they're entitled. But they do even stranger things when they just plain believe. - Kevin Smith

  2. #362
    The buddy trial is 21 days.

  3. #363
    And if you PM me your email, go for the 21-day trial, and then (or earlier) sign up you get one PLEX for free. So yeah, Buddy trial is better than the 14 day.

  4. #364
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinna View Post
    And if you PM me your email, go for the 21-day trial, and then (or earlier) sign up you get one PLEX for free. So yeah, Buddy trial is better than the 14 day.
    The PLEX for PLEX option is removed though.

  5. #365
    Miss Doctor Lady Bear Sunshine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    15,036
    You have to sign up with real money, but then you'd still get a PLEX from it (which you can use for a free month or starting cash).

    Signing up with a PLEX doesn't work, yes.

  6. #366
    Anyone playing Dust? I don't have a PS3 but have been thinking of getting one to play it. I typically don't like many of the newer FPS games, with the only one I can currently stomach being Tribes.

  7. #367
    One of the things I like about this game is that nobody is taking away your progress.
    Seems obvious when you think about it, but WoW does that regularly. You spend months and months getting the best of everything, and now a new patch/expansion comes and your stuff is obsolete.
    In EvE you spend months and months into being the best in something and then it's done. But you decide to train another role and be the best in it too. And then another one... The game is practically endless.

  8. #368
    Until you forget to upgrade you clone and die and lose a months worth of training... (thank God this hasn't happened to me)

    PSA: UPDATE YOUR CLONES

  9. #369
    Quote Originally Posted by kumduh View Post
    Until you forget to upgrade you clone and die and lose a months worth of training... (thank God this hasn't happened to me)

    PSA: UPDATE YOUR CLONES
    It's pretty much impossible to lose months this way.
    If you have 9 mill SP and a 900k clone, the difference is 8.1 mill, so it would take 5% from that or 405k SP. Which is about 9-10 days of training at most.
    Keep in mind that it takes up to 50% of your highest trained skill, which for most people is Battleship 5. BS 5 takes about 40 days to train, so you would lose 20 days at the worst possible scenario. This is if you have no remaps and implants which could cut the training time almost in half.
    I regularly forget to buy a new clone when I get podded, but EVEMon is there to remind me.
    Last edited by haxartus; 2012-11-14 at 10:52 AM.

  10. #370
    Moderator Northern Goblin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Cumbria, England
    Posts
    6,706
    Clone costs get seriously expensive at the upper stages.

    A missed clone update for me would murder my Maurader/Recon V. I update way in advance.

  11. #371
    Quote Originally Posted by Fengore View Post
    Clone costs get seriously expensive at the upper stages.

    A missed clone update for me would murder my Maurader/Recon V. I update way in advance.
    The problem is not forgetting to upgrade clone, the difference is small anyway.
    The problem is when you die with 20 mill SP and appear in a 900k SP clone, and then forget to buy your old clone.
    The clone cost is about 10 mill ISK for an average 4 year old character (50-60 mill SP), which is not that expensive considering how much ISK you should have by then.
    Last edited by haxartus; 2012-11-14 at 02:09 PM.

  12. #372
    So, this isn't relevant to anything in this thread really. I have about 500 wallpapers that cycle through my desktop and right now I am in the solar system, space, star type wallpapers and it brought up some EVE memories. I wanted to vent them here to hopefully get rid of the urge to play a game I could never actually play.

    Since around 2004 I have tried EVE a couple times for about a month or two at a time. I ran 2 accounts, my first venture was to try and get my own 2 account mining operation to make enough ISK to pay for my subs. However, every time I try to play EVE, I get completely bored because I can never find a legitimately active corp, or anyone to fly with. EVE is the most alluring MMO to me because it's all about space, which is pretty much my favorite thing in the world. I have always wanted to play the game so badly and it just never happens. I try mission running and fail, and try just about everything and fail. Which doesn't surprise me because everything in the game feels the same. No matter what I choose to do it all feels like I am doing the same thing.

    I just wish the learning curve wasn't so impossibly steep, and I wish the player base wasn't so insanely elitist and asinine. Every time I see something about space, I think about Eve and how I always wanted to play it hardcore and all the time. I've just never had the luck to find anyone to help me be successful at the game, or to teach me the ropes. I usually stick to myself in MMO's which doesn't make sense but I just fear other people. EVE has always been the one MMO where I have done everything in my power to put myself out there and try to get help and be friendly and help others and just be a great person to play with. Either the people I seek just don't exist, or the on and off looking I did for 6 years wasn't enough.

    I envy those of you who play EVE on a consistent basis and are successful at it. It's the only MMO, other than WoW, that I have gone back to after the first month.

    o/ Fly safe.

  13. #373
    Quote Originally Posted by Thefatness View Post
    So, this isn't relevant to anything in this thread really. I have about 500 wallpapers that cycle through my desktop and right now I am in the solar system, space, star type wallpapers and it brought up some EVE memories. I wanted to vent them here to hopefully get rid of the urge to play a game I could never actually play.

    Since around 2004 I have tried EVE a couple times for about a month or two at a time. I ran 2 accounts, my first venture was to try and get my own 2 account mining operation to make enough ISK to pay for my subs. However, every time I try to play EVE, I get completely bored because I can never find a legitimately active corp, or anyone to fly with. EVE is the most alluring MMO to me because it's all about space, which is pretty much my favorite thing in the world. I have always wanted to play the game so badly and it just never happens. I try mission running and fail, and try just about everything and fail. Which doesn't surprise me because everything in the game feels the same. No matter what I choose to do it all feels like I am doing the same thing.

    I just wish the learning curve wasn't so impossibly steep, and I wish the player base wasn't so insanely elitist and asinine. Every time I see something about space, I think about Eve and how I always wanted to play it hardcore and all the time. I've just never had the luck to find anyone to help me be successful at the game, or to teach me the ropes. I usually stick to myself in MMO's which doesn't make sense but I just fear other people. EVE has always been the one MMO where I have done everything in my power to put myself out there and try to get help and be friendly and help others and just be a great person to play with. Either the people I seek just don't exist, or the on and off looking I did for 6 years wasn't enough.

    I envy those of you who play EVE on a consistent basis and are successful at it. It's the only MMO, other than WoW, that I have gone back to after the first month.

    o/ Fly safe.
    Have you tried finding a corp through the recruitment section on the forums?
    The new expansion in December is also improving the clan recruitment/advertisement features in the game so might be worth trying once more after that.

    I was in a similar spot as you, I tried it for a month or so every year but just couldn't keep playing, not exactly sure what it was but I eventually overcame it and now I love it so much.
    I disagree about the learning curve though, I think that's the great thing about Eve, and haven't seen that many elitist people either except in Jita and sometimes a cocky pirate drives through local.
    Everyone has always been pretty friendly to me and even while mining I'v had a ton of chat requests just from people that wanted to talk and that's mostly how my contact list grew in the beginning.
    After a month you've barely scratched the surface, after a year you still have more to learn because there's just so much to do, that's really appealing to me.

  14. #374
    I have tried the recruitment section on the forums, I usually didn't get many responses, or I just got the usual Copy paste responses from mass recruitment corps. I actually have tried the forums, and the recruitment channels in game, as well as the corp search feature and so on.

    The reason the learning curve irks me is because there's only so much I can teach myself, and then without a corp to do anything with or have to help me, I end up ship spinning in some random station just doing nothing.

  15. #375
    Stood in the Fire Centerra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Argent Dawn EU
    Posts
    385
    There are corps like Eve University who specialize in teaching newer players and Red vs Blue who offer constant, noob friendly pvp in a controlled environment if your really stuck, personally I had more fun getting into a smaller corp and getting involved with their dreams for success. Eve actually has a for the most part a really good community and new players should get involved asap, rather than falling into full-time solo play doing missions and mining (which generally results in quitting).

  16. #376
    I finally got to play DUST. The controls feel absolutely horrendous, and the mouse/keyboard support is also awful. It's like they went out of their way to add every modern fps mechanic possible to make aiming difficult so that you have to invest skill points to hold a gun steady, and the result is really clunky gameplay. I'm quite disappointed, but hopefully later patches will allow better control customization.

  17. #377
    Moderator Northern Goblin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Cumbria, England
    Posts
    6,706
    Yeah, they had preset characters at Eurogamer with points invested. It's like starting an alt and noticing the difference between your main in an Ishkur and a fresh alt in an Incursus in terms of difference.


    The new targeting UI looks gorgeous.

  18. #378
    After reviewing my post from last night I feel like I focused a bit too much on the negative. Yes, I dislike many of the mechanics in the game, but that said I still think it is a hell of a lot of fun to play. I just think CCP could have done a few things differently that would result in a much better game, but then my FPS experience is limited to Halo 2 and Tribes, where things like iron sights and bloom are nonexistent. I still suggest that anyone interested give it a try for themselves.

  19. #379
    Quote Originally Posted by Centerra View Post
    There are corps like Eve University who specialize in teaching newer players and Red vs Blue who offer constant, noob friendly pvp in a controlled environment if your really stuck, personally I had more fun getting into a smaller corp and getting involved with their dreams for success. Eve actually has a for the most part a really good community and new players should get involved asap, rather than falling into full-time solo play doing missions and mining (which generally results in quitting).
    This is generally what happened to me, and I think of all the MMO's that I've played, Eve is the one that I want to like the most. Like you said, though, solo missions/mining results in quitting, and it's true. It's a lonely universe without a corps. Therein lies the problem, most player-ran corps that are active in PvE or PvP require very specific skills or skill point amounts, as well as it being a dice roll on knowing who you can and cannot trust. I'm not saying don't try, it's just a very difficult task to find the right people to play with.

    By the way, have any of the changes made the game better in any way? I read up, but with Eve it's always hard to tell the amount of impact these "expansions" really have on the game.

  20. #380
    I've been looking at Eve for a bit, but have always been kinda hesitant to try it if any of the long time members here have some tips, info, advice anything I'd love to hear it.
    Fool me once, shame on you. Teach someone to fool me and fool me forever.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Canada?
    Who threatens Canada? That's like, threatening that nice old man in the park who's always feeding the birds and giving wisdom to strangers.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •