Page 20 of 101 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    There is enough to keep you interested, but you'll want to be in an established corp if you want to do it all. There's lots of different kinds of PVE, and highsec missions is such a small fraction of it that you won't continue playing if that is all you do. It might be fun for 2-3 months, but that will be it. Nullsec has the same basic missions with much better rewards. Wormhole space has advanced AI that takes multiple people to do. Both Nullsec and WH space are lawless, though, and you might be susceptible to being ganked if you aren't careful. Being careful in Nullsec is very easy and will eliminate just about all danger. The only way to not get ganked in WH space is to be cloaked up at a safe spot. Anywhere else, you can be ganked no matter how careful you are. Of course, you'll probably also be with a few other people, so you typically don't have to worry about 1 roaming ganker.

Also, RIP Jukebox

Quote Originally Posted by Treeskee View Post
    My only other question would be: Is there enough PvE to keep you interested if you solely do that at the start or is it really only worth while if you are interested in both?
    I think there's enough PvE, at least there is for me, I could see myself playing Eve even if I didn't PvP.
    There's just so much diversity even while soloing; running missions, exploration, crafting, planetary interaction, trading, contracts, when I get tired of one of them I could keep myself occupied with something else until I'm not tired of it anymore.
    But you're losing out on like half the game if you don't join an active corporation so I would still do that.

My only advice for starting out would be to get a "referal link deal" from someone, you sign up using their referal link and when you buy a subscription the guy that refered you gives you ~550m ISK, that amount of money really helps a lot as a new player.

And if you want to cut down on training time I would go for two accounts, one combat character and an industry/science character.
    Last edited by Ighox; 2012-12-05 at 06:31 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Treeskee View Post
    I've been looking at Eve for a bit, but have always been kinda hesitant to try it if any of the long time members here have some tips, info, advice anything I'd love to hear it.
    My best advice is to give it a good try; it's incredibly difficult to understand what kind of game it is or whether you'll like it from reading, watching videos, etc. Make sure it's a good long try too -- it does take a bit of time to get used to things.

Quote Originally Posted by Ighox View Post
    My only advice for starting out would be to get a "referal link deal" from someone, you sign up using their referal link and when you buy a subscription the guy that refered you gives you ~550m ISK, that amount of money really helps a lot as a new player.
    Jinna, kumdah or I can give you this deal.

10+ Year Old Account
    Can you stack the 21-trial days + 30 subscribtion days from purchasaing the game to get a total of 51 days? or does it not work like that?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by N-7 View Post
    Can you stack the 21-trial days + 30 subscribtion days from purchasaing the game to get a total of 51 days? or does it not work like that?
    Yes, it works exactly like that

it takes a long time to get a decent character that can actually do multiple things, the best advice from me is to prepare to invest a couple of years into it before your able to get your own carrier for example, only recently injected the skill books myself and i've been on and off since 09.

get friendly with ppl who run jump freighters, get a money making alt asap (dual boxing is easy). the balance is pretty good in eve (small gang) if your completely new it will take at least a month to grasp the mechanics of the game.

pvp is the end game so it mostly just becomes a assets haul, building up enough shit so you can lose stuff without it really mattering. or flying ships in pvp that are replaced for you, or just flying cheap ships that take a couple hours to get back.
    Last edited by Heathy; 2012-12-05 at 02:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by N-7 View Post
    It works like that yes, and also on weekends they have special offers for trial accounts, not sure if it is every weekend but all my alts used that offer to upgrade.
    It's $20 and gets you 90 days of gametime, so including a trial that's 111 days for $20, not that bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine View Post
    Jinna, kumdah or I can give you this deal.
    Yeah, same here.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Centerra View Post
    There are corps like Eve University who specialize in teaching newer players and Red vs Blue who offer constant, noob friendly pvp in a controlled environment if your really stuck, personally I had more fun getting into a smaller corp and getting involved with their dreams for success. Eve actually has a for the most part a really good community and new players should get involved asap, rather than falling into full-time solo play doing missions and mining (which generally results in quitting).
    when i tried to join them they wanted a 100% tax rate so anything you made they would get which seemed really BS

finding a corp was always a nightmare for me as every PVE guild i joined for either missions or mining decided to go into nullsec or wormhole just as i joined so i ended up having to join a new corp..
    Last edited by Achaman; 2012-12-05 at 02:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Achaman View Post
    when i tried to join them they wanted a 100% tax rate so anything you made they would get which seemed really BS

finding a corp was always a nightmare for me as every PVE guild i joined for either missions or mining decided to go into nullsec or wormhole just as i joined so i ended up having to join a new corp..

Thats ultimatly where you should end up. Empire is unsafe quite literally compared to nullsec. Nullsec has the best rewards but also takes the most out of you. IMO you should only live in empire untill you have the sskills to survive in nullsec.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ighox View Post
    It works like that yes, and also on weekends they have special offers for trial accounts, not sure if it is every weekend but all my alts used that offer to upgrade.
    It's $20 and gets you 90 days of gametime, so including a trial that's 111 days for $20, not that bad.
    Okay, two more questions:
    1. Does subscription work in a such a way that only time in game works toward days or is it like WoW where 1 month subscription means 1 month regardless of time spent in game?

2. Anyone is willing to offer the referal link deal/buddy programme to me?

Thank you
    Last edited by N-7; 2012-12-05 at 03:41 PM.

Deleted
    1. The subscription is Real World Calendar days. You keep generating skill points as long as you are subscribed, in or out of game. It wouldn't work like that, and there are no games I know of where you 'pay by the hour' (yes I know that in some countries [china] it's like this for wow, but I'm talking from an EU perspective)

2. PM me with an email address and I'll hook you up with a 21-day trial and the PLEX that goes with it if you subscribe.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinna View Post
    1. The subscription is Real World Calendar days. You keep generating skill points as long as you are subscribed, in or out of game. It wouldn't work like that, and there are no games I know of where you 'pay by the hour' (yes I know that in some countries [china] it's like this for wow, but I'm talking from an EU perspective)

2. PM me with an email address and I'll hook you up with a 21-day trial and the PLEX that goes with it if you subscribe.
    1. I see thank you then.
    2. I've already got someone to do it for me thank you and just one last question since it is on sale in Steam, if I buy it from there can I activite it with my trial account from account management in EVE Online?

Deleted
    1. You're Welcome
    2. I don't know (there's a disclaimer on it that it can't be used to buy a month with an existing account, but says nothing about using it to upgrade a trial account)

I've always wanted to get into this game, but I'm still not sure if its for me. We all heard the awesome (and sometimes full of douchiness) stories, so I've always been curios about it. Maybe this is the best time because of the steam sale, but I must ask a couple of questions
    First just how newb friendly are the guides out there(because apparently the game isn't newb friendly at all)? Is there a site that has a lot of them?
    I'm only interested on one account, but on some places I see that the ideal number is 2, Is this true? If it is how much I'm losing from having only one?
    And the biggest of all, we all see how the Internet makes fun of EVE being more a spreadsheet than a game, How much of this is actually true?
    Thanks for any help you can give me and Jinna can I use the link on your signature to sign for an account or do I send you a pm because according to the steam forums (http://steamcommunity.com/app/8500/d...8351122008938/) you can stack the trial with the cd key they sell.

I can't really write an entire essay on eve (although it looks like i did anyway), all I can say is that having 2 characters means i can mine in highsec or do other ventures missions whatever. while simultaneously fly logistics mostly (healers) for my alliance fleets in null, it really does make all the difference.

there is a saturation point when it comes to multiboxing, i think it was like 20+ accounts or something in that it will either be too much head work or you just wont make enough isk to buy them all game cards. some of them but not all.

2 is good though for newbs, i got my alt only about 1 year after my first so, where my main has nearly 50million skill points my alt is sitting pretty at just under 30m it can't fly a mining ship any better, or tell a lie, it can fly a hulk with t1 crystals so the only improvement i can make on my alt in the mining department is a slight increase on harvester yields (but i mine ice anyway). i also trained it for missions and it can fly a freighter, its practically become my second main.

how much do you lose not having an alt, nothing really, because its offset by the need to actually pay for the subscription, you can plex your way through eve but you won't have much isk left to actually play the game. if your like me and actually buy GTC's (that turns into 2x 30day cards) it works out nicely when you have 2 accounts. (if you do this through an affiliate site like SOMERBLINK you can get some extra gambling credit and maybe win yourself a ship or whatever)

as far as spreadsheets go it depends if your building and selling stuff, i dabbled in industry for a while and was building battlecruisers that were being shipped out to null and sold on the cheap, we had a couple of spread sheets setup so you could add in a number of ships and the formulas would tell you how much it costs, how many minerals you need, and other things like market hub price and loss/gains if sold at that price. as for simple pvp and or start up industry you won't need a spreadsheet in eve until your mass making things, there are also tools out of game that can assist with fitting and skill plans, EFT and EVEMON respectively.

2 is a good number of chars but eventually you will probably want a 3rd or a 4th, i'm getting to the point now where i sort of want a 3rd account just full of cynos so i can place them around the game and have a means of moving my carrier with ease, or just without having to rely on other ppl.

the TL;DR version of this would be, more characters = more potential to experience it all, if you want to pvp, have your main do that and do like me and have an alt mining, that way even if your out losing ships, your still making some isk on the side.
    Last edited by Heathy; 2012-12-06 at 03:37 AM.

I may have committed a mistake with the spreadsheet part. I didn't want to mean if you have to use them. What I meant is that when someone wants tot make fun of EVE they do this http://www.nerfnow.com/comic/414. So its the part I want to know, how much of that is true and how much is an exaggeration.

it really depends it is like that, if your in null sec and your at war and there are 100 ppl camping outside the station, then yes that is what eve is like, but when things are quiet and your sitting there, the game won't come to you, you actually have to undock and go find stuff to do. pvp is the best part though, fighting npcs gets old and the industry side of things is sort of like what enchanting is/was like in wow, where its the sort of thing best left for an alt to do; in highsec.

eve is split into various facets of income though, you have mining, missions, scanning for hidden sites (hacking or salvaging) planetary interaction (passive income) and then higher tier stuff like incursions and wormholes.. then ofc pvp lowsec or nullsec.

sovereignty wars are never ending, when one power bloc gets too big it seems like the rest of eve kinds gangs up and crushes them, and the cycle goes round and round. I've been on the receiving end of 2 cluster****s since i started, joined MM, everyone ganged up and took us out and now I'm in AAA same thing happened recently and we are just messing about now in low sec, i usually take a break during them transitional stages and simply mine in highsec, re posture myself and get back into it with a slightly fatter wallet.

waiting for things to train can be a pain, considering they re-evaluating all the ships skills currently to make the progression smoother, i'm not sure what it will be like in a few months time, but for example, t2 cruisers (t2 being the ship type with an actual role and decent resistances) are a mile stone, once you train a factions cruisers to level 5 it unlocks doors, recons logistic and heavy assault. some skills don't give you as many doors. but some mile stones are really nice when you reach them. there are players that simply just don't care untill they reach said milestone. its annoying and not for everyone but its just the way it works, i prefer the learning system to xp grinds really.

eve can be slow and it can be fast, if nothing is happening and i'm just mining and sitting in station on my main ill watch a movie or play indie games to pass the time :P it really isn't an instant gratification type game you slowly chug toward personal goals and for the most part it is fun when these come to pass and you move onto your next goal.

if i have to sum this up with what keeps me playing eve apart from the fact that i've already put a good few years into my chars then, its the economy eve's economy is awesome and drives the game, one part i really disliked about wow (or most if not all rpg mmos), was that the economy was out of whack, gold just becomes frivolous whereas in eve, money is actually very useful because there is no BoP and ships die en-mass, so your accumulated wealth actually has use instead of just being there for the odd random purchase. not trying to bash or anything just a simple opinion/observation. heck i even hate comparing the 2 as you don't need to be a genius to see they are completely different games, but taking only the economies into account eve trumps wow 100 fold.
    Last edited by Heathy; 2012-12-16 at 09:45 PM.

Using a spreadsheet to max dps in WoW is the same as using a spreadsheet to max profit/dps/tank in EVE. There's just 1000000x more things in EVE that you can spreadsheet than there are in WoW.

An example of spreadsheeting would be LP (Loyalty Point) stores. Whenever you run missions or do Factional Warfare stuff, you get Loyalty Points, which can be spent in faction specific stores on great equipment. Each store has many different items to choose from, so to get the most money out of your points when you cash out, you might consult a spreadsheet that pulls in current price data from the most popular markets, and it will tell you that buying a Talisman Omega implant will net you a 2800:1 ration of ISK/LP, while buying a Bhaalgorn Blueprint Copy will only net you a 2400:1 ratio. This takes all of 20 seconds. Are there hundreds of thousands of spreadsheets? Yes. Will you probably end up using spreadsheets? Yes. Is it a pain in the ass chore that requires you to have a complex understanding of programs such as Microsoft Excell? No.

In eve common sense is really needed, if your an idiot, if you dont look shit up, if you rely on others your going to get no where in eve. You need to have your head on and think forself, look things up. I never did the tutorials and im fine. There is only a steep learning curve if you expect others or the game to do things for you. You dont get handed shit in eve.

With the steam sale I've decided to give EVE a try so I'm looking for someone with a referral link.

Edit:

Got a link thanks!
    Last edited by shotterke; 2012-12-06 at 11:32 AM.