Page 28 of 101 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Everytime I see EVE pop-up, I feel the urge to come back. Every time I feel the urge to come back, I have to remind myself of the reasons I quit. Constant struggle. Contrary to popular believe, having auto-training on skills does not make you live a more relaxed life. Or, that goes for me. I actually adapted my life to timed training. It was worse than WoW Vanilla raiding :P

But still, I might pick up my main and alt some day, again. EVE is just..beautiful and cold.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Heathy View Post
    depends really, you'd probably be better blitzing lvl 1 and 2s with a t2 fit t1 cruiser (like a vexor with t2 hobgoblins) the time you spend warping a bs around is probably about the same time you'd save doing them in a cruiser.
    You might actuallly have a hard time doing lvl 1 and 2 missions. The targets are extremely small, a cruiser is about the biggest ship you want to take otherwise you risk being unable to hit the targets half the time.

Quote Originally Posted by philefluxx View Post
    You might actuallly have a hard time doing lvl 1 and 2 missions. The targets are extremely small, a cruiser is about the biggest ship you want to take otherwise you risk being unable to hit the targets half the time.
    It's actually impossible in most cases these days as the warp gates won't allow battleships, not that you would want one in there as it's incredibly ineffective. Level 1-2 is so easy that any well fit ship could do it, assault frigg would probably be the go to ship, level 3s you can do in a BC easy with good fits and reasonable skills, level 4s needs a BS/T3 or possibly a Hac in some cases but are best done in a faction BS, Machariel seems to be the better choice in most cases.

On a side note, PLEX is around 550 these days.

Tbh i haven't done lvl 1's or 2's for a long long time so i was a bit unsure as to how they have changed over the years, for the most part, if you've already trained social and diplomacy you can sometimes skip lvl 1's and go strait into level 2s if you have the ship and skills for it.

It is possible to play for free but you really need to invest some money into the game so you can train for a few months and save your initial isk making for a ship that lets you earn enough isk to play for free. you will need to run incursions pretty consistently to earn enough isk in a reasonable amount of time.

dedicated orca is much better than using a freighter, if you can afford a freighter, get an orca, get a hulk and do it that way. although if your mining that much ore you probably will want a freighter if you want to move the minerals without having to do 100's of jumps in a orca.

i'm making quite a bit of isk from pos fuel blocks, mine ice, sell most of the topes, keep some and use the PI income to make blocks.. 9 planets i run on 2 accounts, mechanical parts, robotics, uranium, oxygen, coolant .. plus ice = lots of isk. 14k per unit, 40 units per run of the bp, PI is quite crap in highsec but its passive so if you make 250 or more robotics every 7 or 8 days you get about 10000 fuel blocks a week. comes to about 120m or so. most of that is passive.

mix it up a bit, mine enough ice for your weekly fuel blocks then do level 4s for a few days and you'll be raking it in. also noctis :P best 80m you can ever spend. 1 week of doing lvl 4's me and one corpie, in the end we had about 300m in salvage and 500m in t1 random shit, 1 week but that was all down to the noctis. some of the heavier lvl4's will give you 50-60m in salvage and loot. which takes about 1hr tops in a decent bs. if you mine ore and do lvl 4s you'll be supplementing your low ends with a teeny bit of high ends if you reprocess all the loot (keep the meta 4s ofc they sell just as good as t2 most of them).

2 cents
    Missions are so awful as a way of gun farming isk, Move to null run anoms, SOOOOOOO much more isk. And the orca is only good if you dont have boosts but we runs boosts pretty much 24/7 and thats rorq boosts. Ice in highsec is next to worthless unless your farming your own iceblocks and even then.

A long time ago, when I still played EVE, I used to have a skill planner that could be installed locally on disk. Does anyone know whether that is still available somewhere?

And you think I'll be allowed into the Academy with my main or alt, even though they technically aren't newbies in the sense that one owns a stealth bomber and the other has a few types of industrial ships? I did play for a year after all, but I haven't played low sec even once and basically stuck to mining and doing missions, but that bored the crap out of me. Back then the tutorial didn't really guide you into lowsec, so I initially never even knew what was available.

I'm virtually a noob again :P

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vespian View Post
    A long time ago, when I still played EVE, I used to have a skill planner that could be installed locally on disk. Does anyone know whether that is still available somewhere?
    EVEmon is what you are thinking of. There's also an Android app called Aura. Both are pretty much essential for players.

Quote Originally Posted by Jinna View Post
    EVEmon is what you are thinking of. There's also an Android app called Aura. Both are pretty much essential for players.
    Swell, thanks

If anyone wants to move down to nullsec to up their ISK potential, I happen to know a totally legit corp that take newbies in for the cheap cheap price of 500mill...

Quote Originally Posted by kumduh View Post
    If anyone wants to move down to nullsec to up their ISK potential, I happen to know a totally legit corp that take newbies in for the cheap cheap price of 500mill...
    The way it's being described, it sounds like I'll get picked clean the moment I join. Besides that, hell, I just logged in and got EVEmon, I have exactly 27mil. That won't cut it I'm afraid :P

I think the bomber was 54mil? So technically I'm flying outside the scope of the golden rule, never fly what you can't replace. But I might be wrong and it might just be a lot less. Either way, I think I'll do a tutorial or two and read up on some guides before I decide to stick around :P

Deleted
    The way it's being described, it sounds like I'll get picked clean the moment I join. Besides that, hell, I just logged in and got EVEmon, I have exactly 27mil. That won't cut it I'm afraid :P
    Simple, just fly down there with a few PLEX in your hold!

10+ Year Old Account
    I think I'll do a tutorial or two and read up on some guides before I decide to stick around :P
    If you havent played in over a year, I highly recommend you do the tutorials. If you havent played in a couple, you MUST do them to see some of the new careers. Also you should do the Sisters of Eve quest chains, you can thank me later.

I've been looking for a new game. My question about Eve is how stable is the economy? A lot of games with similar business models eventually see almost a crash of the player to player economy making it difficult for new people to make funds necessary to improve.

Quote Originally Posted by stanang View Post
    I've been looking for a new game. My question about Eve is how stable is the economy? A lot of games with similar business models eventually see almost a crash of the player to player economy making it difficult for new people to make funds necessary to improve.
    It's the most solid game economy I seen in gaming, almost everything is player made/gathered, even newer players have means to get some of the more attractive items to sell and as such able to keep up with inflation, inflation that compared to other games is minor.

Quote Originally Posted by kumduh View Post
    Seriously, who falls for that? It screams SCAM!

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    Missions are so awful as a way of gun farming isk, Move to null run anoms, SOOOOOOO much more isk. And the orca is only good if you dont have boosts but we runs boosts pretty much 24/7 and thats rorq boosts. Ice in highsec is next to worthless unless your farming your own iceblocks and even then.
    Not everyone can get into that though, most (decent) null sec corps don't want bears they want ppl who can defend space not sit in belts losing mining ships.

When MM had tribute i spent a whole bunch of time mining in GIH-ZG we had the industry up to 4 once and i remember sitting in the grav site and mining a whole ark roid to myself (35k perhaps), how much of that did i get? probably 1/3rd, took all day nearly, then we moved over to dark glitter because what we didn't use we could sell and buy minerals, and that does make lots of isk, the inherent risk makes it more entertaining knowing that at any moment you might need to GTFO although again what i really meant was for a simple high sec guy with maybe 1 alt, you can make quite a bit of isk in highsec if your just mining for yourself. together with PI its not so bad as a startup thing, and a few missions on the side. If you ever want to do research and invention forget null sec because unless your willing to buddy up big time (kiss ass for a couple years if not more), no corp is going to give you roles either so, if you want a pos, make your own corp and do it that way. most corps will take a cut of whatever you mine if you managed to find one willing to let you do that, so in the end unless you WANT to help a corp make isk, its up to you, at least mining for your self noone is taking a cut.

missions are horrible due to their randomness, if i could get 'gone berserk' lvl4 over and over again it would be amazing, i'd probably make 100m/hr. (ofc 60-70m of that comes from using the noctis after its clear)
    Last edited by Heathy; 2013-01-08 at 10:48 PM.

Not everyone can get into that though, most (decent) null sec corps don't want bears they want ppl who can defend space not sit in belts losing mining ships.

When MM had tribute i spent a whole bunch of time mining in GIH-ZG we had the industry up to 4 once and i remember sitting in the grav site and mining a whole ark roid to myself (35k perhaps), how much of that did i get? probably 1/3rd, took all day nearly, then we moved over to dark glitter because what we didn't use we could sell and buy minerals, and that does make lots of isk, the inherent risk makes it more entertaining knowing that at any moment you might need to GTFO although again what i really meant was for a simple high sec guy with maybe 1 alt, you can make quite a bit of isk in highsec if your just mining for yourself. together with PI its not so bad as a startup thing, and a few missions on the side. If you ever want to do research and invention forget null sec because unless your willing to buddy up big time (kiss ass for a couple years if not more), no corp is going to give you roles either so, if you want a pos, make your own corp and do it that way. most corps will take a cut of whatever you mine if you managed to find one willing to let you do that, so in the end unless you WANT to help a corp make isk, its up to you, at least mining for your self noone is taking a cut.

missions are horrible due to their randomness, if i could get 'gone berserk' lvl4 over and over again it would be amazing, i'd probably make 100m/hr. (ofc 60-70m of that comes from using the noctis after its clear)

Its not hard to find nullsec industrial corps, one look at the forums and i see tons and tons of them recruiting including my own. Every alliance needs and industrial backbone to support them, an alliance cannot be sustained off of pvp alone. Out here we make 45million a tick ratting in sentry carriers.

When MM had tribute i spent a whole bunch of time mining in GIH-ZG we had the industry up to 4 once and i remember sitting in the grav site and mining a whole ark roid to myself (35k perhaps), how much of that did i get? probably 1/3rd, took all day nearly,
    66% tax, talk about scammed, could rent a system and end up paying way less than that in tax even as a solo player.

most of it is a team effort sure, why would you join an alliance and risk ships if you don't have a decent system to mine in, sure you can keep all your haul if your mining into a station system, but if you want it compressed and moved your gunna have to start cutting up your haul into smaller chunks, in the end your left with less than you'd make doing it alone. (most null sec mining takes place in dead end systems down boring pipes where there are no station and you do need a rorqual)

66% sucked but for me my story i did leave out the fact that i was doing this with 2 other guys, we had all invested 600m into a pot to create BC's i didn't mind sharing because it was for our little thing anyway. i left it out because it doesn't matter how you get into it, you will need to share some of your income if you want help to do it.

if your talking about the best ways of making isk in null, with minimal risk investment, its belt chaining it doesn't make as much as using a carrier to blitz anoms, but you can use a 50m ship and get 10m wallet ticks if your in npc space you get more rares aswell which can give you quite a boost you'll need a bs if you find any officers but all the the faction spawns aren't any tougher than regular rats, find yourself 3 or 4 faction points or webs a week and your cheap as hell ship has earned well over its cost. i haven't tried a drake since the patch, but one of the other BC's can do it just as good. if it dies you've lost perhaps 2hrs of chaining.

also the null sec industry back bone comes from multi boxed alts mining all day in highsec and jumping stuff into null. you don't need to have an industry whelp bone dying in null sec when they can get most of it in high.

heck skip that and just buy ships from jita at the best price and jump them out there. If you do mining in null, this sort of thing is a very closed group thing, you don't want everyone and their mum knowing where your mining systems are and when your doing it, getting into a decent mining group is just as hard as getting into a decent mercenary group. trust is a big thing with eve and you don't just apply and get everything handed to you unless there is some strings attached.

I've ordered my first thanatos, its gunna take a couple weeks to build but i doubt ill ever rat with it, unless i feel safe enough in a cyno jammed system (or i have the isk to simply blow on a new one), even then i'd probably only assign fighters and do it that way. much less risk. if your gunna sit in anoms with a bunch of slowcats why not just use supers. at least when they do get bubble ganked you might be able to save them in time. but this is way beyond high sec money making help, if you've got a carrier you don't need help making isk, what i wrote initially was a simple tip on how to make isk in highsec BEFORE you decide to take the plunge to low or null.

truth is in high sec 1 orca pilot combined with 1 mack alt, makes lots of isk, so does 2 battleships and 1 noctis doing missions, doing these 2 things whenever i felt like doing one or the other, has paid for my carrier skills and my carrier, i didn't have to risk anything. the start up investment for the orca came from chaining belts in stain, some days if your lucky you can have 7 or 8 1.6m rats on chain, few hours of that is simply amazing considering the tiny investment you put in for a drake. dont have to rely on others don't have to risk any expensive ships.
    Last edited by Heathy; 2013-01-09 at 02:30 AM.

So, I just logged in (a few hours ago actually) for the first time since 4 years. Of this I'm certain, since it's been more than 4 years ago that I joined an NPC corp, which is the date I left the game.

Back then, I owned a Stealth Bomber (Nemesis) that could shoot cruise missiles. Now, I own a Stealth Bomber that shoots torpedoes. This will take nearly a month to get to similar level -_- as my cruise missile skill. /Sigh

I will eventually look for a good corp that wants people with no experience :P Teach me about 0 sec damnit! On my alt, I have a retriever and the required mining skills. I doubt my isk/h even comes close to what you think making money means, but as it stands, I want to make at least twice the money of the cost of either the Retriever or Nemesis before I go out into low sec.

I'm considering going into 0.5 sec first, try to farm slightly more valuable resources. Right now I'm at around 25-30mil per hour, which I know isn't very much.