Page 60 of 101 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by mickybrighteyes View Post
    Ugh, harsh rule of Eve. High sec won't stop a gank.

Someone decided to suicide rush my Mackinaw. Blow it up and then say I should buy their mining permit. with the line "Making a better High Sec"

Last time I'd logged into high sec I didn't have to worry about thugs shooting first. Would find it funny if they didn't scuttle my primary mining ship that I was using to make my first billion =/... it was worth 10 times what my character had (figured it wouldn't have faced anything dangerous enough to blow it up in high sec)
    Find a quiet system, those folks generally just patrol around the well known mining spots making a nuisance of themselves, thats what I did on my Mining character and i've had a total of one person try to gank me, and my Macks tank held out long enough for him to Concordonked. And yeah, don't assume your safe anywhere, nowadays your safer down in null than you are up high sec.

Deleted
    I'm enjoying exploring low sec in my Imicus, but my scanning skills are low, so I'm failing quite a few of the harder hacks. I set Archaeology to train to V... and it will take 14 days. WTF? That's two weeks where I can't do anything else with my character apart from wait for one skill to train. To train Hacking to V will take another two weeks.

The system clearly has been cynically designed to nudge people into paying for more than one account. I have no intention of doing that. Tbh I was quite demoralised by the 14 day waiting time because no matter how much time I spent in game there was nothing I could do to speed up the training process and level at my own pace. Oh, I could do a neural remap and shorten it by a few hours, woohoo.

This actually pissed me off a bit because I was beginning to see EVE as a game I could spend a lot of time with but now I'm not sure :/ I stay away from the official forum because it's filled with insufferable douchebags and trolls but the ingame community itself isn't bad. Right now it's 50/50 as to whether or not I resub. I want to, but dem training times... :/

Quote Originally Posted by Helden View Post
    Find a quiet system, those folks generally just patrol around the well known mining spots making a nuisance of themselves, thats what I did on my Mining character and i've had a total of one person try to gank me, and my Macks tank held out long enough for him to Concordonked. And yeah, don't assume your safe anywhere, nowadays your safer down in null than you are up high sec.
    yeah =/ my last time loggin on Earwik (or however you spell it) was pretty quiet so I thought it would be the same. I'd over extended my resources to get into a mack and thought bouncing between ice and rocks would get me a fleet of back up barges and ventures to house around different stations... but back to square, i think, 8? (one would be rock nibbling with a burst in my book)

edit:

and that's two weeks where you can't train another skill. you can still do whatever you want while waiting for the skill.
    Last edited by mickybrighteyes; 2014-07-22 at 11:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluejam View Post
    I'm enjoying exploring low sec in my Imicus, but my scanning skills are low, so I'm failing quite a few of the harder hacks. I set Archaeology to train to V... and it will take 14 days. WTF? That's two weeks where I can't do anything else with my character apart from wait for one skill to train. To train Hacking to V will take another two weeks.

The system clearly has been cynically designed to nudge people into paying for more than one account. I have no intention of doing that. Tbh I was quite demoralised by the 14 day waiting time because no matter how much time I spent in game there was nothing I could do to speed up the training process and level at my own pace. Oh, I could do a neural remap and shorten it by a few hours, woohoo.

This actually pissed me off a bit because I was beginning to see EVE as a game I could spend a lot of time with but now I'm not sure :/ I stay away from the official forum because it's filled with insufferable douchebags and trolls but the ingame community itself isn't bad. Right now it's 50/50 as to whether or not I resub. I want to, but dem training times... :/
    You can do what ever you want while your skills are going up. It doesn't prevent you from anything.
    It's also noteworthy that it's maybe a wise choice of action to only up the skills to 3 first, and not straight up to 5.
    Implants also help to shorten the training time.

Not sure if you know this: in case you figure that you need another skill trained that takes just a couple of minutes (or hours) to train, you can queue it BEFORE your current 14 day Skill. It will train your new skill first and it won't abandon the 14 day skill.
    You can put any skill book in front of the queue to be immediately trained without kicking the 14 day one out of the queue, as long as the new skill you squeeze in is less than 24 hours long.
    I hope what I just said made sense.
    I mention it because it's a common misconception amongst rookies. They think "Oh no 14 days, now I am bummed and cannot train anything else...", which really isn't true. You can always squeeze in small skills at any time (as long as they are smaller than 24 hours).

Later on you will run into skill books that take literally months to max out.
    To get all the skills up to max on an exploration Frigate takes a little bit more than a year. It does sound bad, I know, but EVE is meant to be a long-term investment.
    Stick with it, Bluejam. You won't regret it. There is nothing like EVE out there.
    "Our greatest glory is not in never falling,
    but in rising every time we fall."
    - Kong Fuzi

This is quite actually sound advice, ironic as it seems.

The vast majority of systems in EVE are null sec, and pretty much half of all those systems are near deserted at any given time, with most people only in them just to pass through, do something real quick at a station, scouting for wormholes, or just using it as a temporary staging area. Many people are afraid that some alliance or corp fleet will come along and just gank them, but in reality that is highly unlikely: Ganking fleets don't gank in null because they are afraid of the alliances, it's more efficient ISK per hour wise to gank in high; and the alliances really don't give a damn if it's just one puny little miner grinding up rocks they don't care about. All in all, the chances of you getting ganked while mining in null are quite low; you only really have to worry about things going astray when you are near stargates and stations.

Someone decided to suicide rush my Mackinaw. Blow it up and then say I should buy their mining permit. with the line "Making a better High Sec"

Last time I'd logged into high sec I didn't have to worry about thugs shooting first. Would find it funny if they didn't scuttle my primary mining ship that I was using to make my first billion =/... it was worth 10 times what my character had (figured it wouldn't have faced anything dangerous enough to blow it up in high sec)
    Pay them the mining permit and you'll be free to mine your heart out, unmolested and safe from other marauders.

GoonSwarm will actively hunt down and destroy aggressive high-sec pirates on your behalf for an extra fee.

Deleted

<SNIP>

.. it was worth 10 times what my character had (figured it wouldn't have faced anything dangerous enough to blow it up in high sec)
    Only after seeing it quoted in other people's responses did I pick up on this, and think to point it out.

Another harsh rule of EVE displayed in this post, never fly anything you can't replace (or simply afford to lose). If you are not rich enough to afford to lose a Mack, then you should mine in something cheaper.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluejam View Post

You don't wanna train skills to 5 straight away, it might look nice and shiny, but its really worth it for the time investment, i'm not really into exploration, more into industry atm, but I imagine there are other secondary skills out there that will help you out far more than Arch 5 and Hacking 5, and will take much less time to train. Remember this isn't like WoW or any other game you've played where by not completing something, you'll get looked down on, a corp won't turn you down because you don't have spot on perfect scanning skills or anything like that.

My character is around 4 years old, might be 5, and I only have a handful of skills at Level V, because most times its not worth it for the time investment, hell most of those level V skills are either from back in the old days when "Ghost Training" was a thing, or because I knew I was gonna be away from EVE for a good long while (think Exumer V took me 27 days, but I was away for a month, so seemed like a solid investment).

The whole moving towards mulitple accounts isn't a thing that CCP pushed at the beginning, and really the system hasn't changed since the beginning, cept for the removal of Ghost Training, the Learning Skills (which were great, if a little poorly implemented) and the skill Queue (there was a time when there was no queue, so when a skill ran out, if you weren't on to start training another skill straight away, you lost time), but yeah they are kinda pushing it nowadays with the Power of 2 sub, but thats mainly because people started doing and then CCP tried to capitalise on it, can't really blame them for that.

I'd say stay subbed, from your posts here you like the game, if you want to really cut your training times down, skill up into Cybernetics and get some implants, you can get a full of +3's quite cheap if I remember, and you only need Cyber 3 to plug em in, and that'll cut your times down by a fair amount. I'd also look into things like EVEMon, not sure if its still a thing, but it helped my out loads back at the beginning, you can load your character into, set up a skill plan and it'll calculate the best stats that you can get to cut time off, I remember at one point it saved me like a month over a yeah.

And yeah that sounds like a lot, making a plan for a year, but EVE is a game thats all about the long term.

Deleted
    Thanks for your replies, I can't quote them all as it's too much. What bugs me is that it's CCP and not me who determines how fast I progress. In other MMOs you can grind 20 hours a day if you want, but in EVE your progression is set by CCP and there's nothing you can do about it (apart from implants and remaps). So when I log in and see my skill queue completion time I feel like I'm being trolled by the developers. I suppose the upside is that it's a grind that I don't have to actively do myself, the game does it for me even when I'm not logged in.

One thing I've noticed is insane multiboxing. Check this out: http://s21.postimg.org/ooji30m1j/1ad...d03cb5514b.png I saw another miner with 47 mining barges in one area. 47. What the fuck?

Deleted
    Yeah it sucks when your starting out, waiting for skills to finish and such, but EVE is a game where the longer you play it, the better it gets, moreso than in any other MMO. The advice I generally give to new players when there starting is don't focus so much on the skills, focus on grinds that you can actually achieve, like certain reps to unlock new missions, getting some money together, things like that, skills will come in time, the worst thing is having the skills to fly a new boat and not being able to afford it.

With regards to multiboxing, it and botting are both rampant in EVE, due to the ability to play for free if you turn a big enough profit, I don't tend to see that many of them, and if I do I just regard them as NPC's,

10+ Year Old Account
    nowadays your safer down in null than you are up high sec.
    well thats somewhat depressing.
    "it's being bound to work or study that allows us to live like people." Illya

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Achaman View Post
    well thats somewhat depressing.
    It's been heading that way for years, the fact is that there's far less griefers down in Null because if you pull that shit in Null, you'll start a war, and if you head out solo into Null and try to do some ganking, it'll probably end badly for you, easier pickings up in High/Low, but trending more towards High due to there being more folks up there who try to stay away from PvP, Low is similar to Null, you'll get a tougher fight if you try ganking in Low. Thats not to say you aren't safe in High so long as you take the proper precautions.

It's been heading that way for years, the fact is that there's far less griefers down in Null because if you pull that shit in Null, you'll start a war, and if you head out solo into Null and try to do some ganking, it'll probably end badly for you, easier pickings up in High/Low, but trending more towards High due to there being more folks up there who try to stay away from PvP, Low is similar to Null, you'll get a tougher fight if you try ganking in Low. Thats not to say you aren't safe in High so long as you take the proper precautions.
    I often meet campers and severely bubbled gate camps in my null trade route, which includes few null NPC stations used as trade hubs. They even bubble stations/gates and place scouts in adjacent systems.
    Last edited by haxartus; 2014-07-30 at 03:20 PM.

Hi there I am new. I am also interested in playing eve online and I was wondering should I? What is your opinion on this game and should I play it?

Play it only if you have at least 3 hours a day to wring your life out upon. And if you can understand complicated maths involving 200 different skills, damage types, commodities, and ever changing alliances. And if you like punishing difficultly, and won't cry if your 400 million ISK 2500k DPS Vindicator that you spent 2 years mining and training for gets blown up on it's grand 'for screenshots' voyage just because you forgot to buy insurance.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian Stormclaw View Post
    Play it only if you have at least 3 hours a day to wring your life out upon. And if you can understand complicated maths involving 200 different skills, damage types, commodities, and ever changing alliances. And if you like punishing difficultly, and won't cry if your 400 million ISK 2500k DPS Vindicator that you spent 2 years mining and training for gets blown up on it's grand 'for screenshots' voyage just because you forgot to buy insurance.
    no, if you get a 400m vindi today you should be happy

Quote Originally Posted by gegalfo View Post
    no, if you get a 400m vindi today you should be happy
    How does 400million take 2 years mining for? I can mine easy 1-2billion in one sitting.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    How does 400million take 2 years mining for? I can mine easy 1-2billion in one sitting.
    was probably quite some time ago. i didnt start untill january this year myself, but within my first month i had ''earned'' 6-800m

Quote Originally Posted by gegalfo View Post
    was probably quite some time ago. i didnt start untill january this year myself, but within my first month i had ''earned'' 6-800m
    I need to start improving my moneymaking :E

That said, I have only been training skills lately and not actually playing.

I 'won' EVE shortly after B-R5 and don't have any intention of coming back until CCP wake-up and fix nullsec.

The CFC / N3 domination of the political and military spheres is now so total that player-driven content has completely stagnated. The only areas for fledgling corporations and alliances to put roots down and grow in nullsec are in the arse-end of nowhere with little to zero strategic or monetary value in the space itself. And if said fledgling corp/alliance tries to take anything of value outside those areas, then it can expect a rapid curbstomp of Wrecking Ball-esque proportions from either the CFC or N3.

The current status quo dictates that any alliance that wishes to grow and expand has to sign up to one of the two mega-coalitions, or be relegated to a dismal existence in some backwater pair of systems too far off the beaten path even for roaming fleets to bother going there.

I'm pretty certain that was not what CCP intended for EVE, and they need to do something about it before irreversible damage is done to the sov map. I can think of a half-dozen large corps / alliances within the CFC that would happily break ties and go their own way should the option become viable - and I also know there are a similar number of fiercely independent corps within N3 that chafe under a de facto blue-list larger than most local telephone directories.