Page 37 of 101 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Vespian View Post
    No? And No, actually.
    Ever thought about mining? No offence but 30m per 3.33 days is laughable (same as 90m per 4 days). It also requires very little input.

I know when I was doing level 3's in my harbinger I was clearing WAY more than that.

Deleted
    Right now, I need to fly between planets for about 10 minutes, maybe 20, a day and I make about 30 mil per 3.333 days. Taxes not yet calculated. So I'll end up with a profit of about 27mil per 3.5 days. 27mil might not sound like a lot to you, but as long as I am forced to solo level 3 missions, the average income per mission is perhaps 1.5mil in bounty + 6mil salvaging + looting and loot often ends up being worth less. I do about 2 missions per evening and then I run out of time. Assuming 3 evenings, I make perhaps 20 mil, tops, in actual ISK.

The way I see it, running missions, right now, is barely worth it.
    - I currently gain resources that could supply two planets, yet I have only one, so I'll be expanding soon.
    - I'm using buy orders to get additional P2 and process that into P3, then sell the P3 to gain a 30% profit, since one planet can sustain two P3 production plants, but not enough P2 production plants to provide enough resources to both P3 plants.
    - Missioning takes three times the time and barely the same profit. So while I play League of Legends, I'm making money in EVE.
    Try running missions as fast as possible, and skip looting/salvaging the wrecks. You can find guides on how to blitz missions on http://eve-survival.org/ and this should prove more profitable, just make sure you're trading your LP for the best possible ISK/LP item (probably ammo unless you're with an corp that sells some decent BPCs).

Quote Originally Posted by Schmittay View Post
    I don't understand how missions aren't that good for you. I know doing level 4's in a decent fit BS will net you 100 - 120m ISK per hour on average.
    Good skills and well fit faction BS/Marauder then sure, but if you are just getting into a Raven then you don't have a a chance. He's also doing level 3s which are obviously no where near as profitable as L4s.

Level 3 missions should still blow high sec PI out of the water. Maybe skills are low?
    The thing is that PI is fairly passive, while missioning requires you to actually play to earn the ISK.
    Last edited by mmocca70d558a3; 2013-02-05 at 10:31 AM.

Ever thought about mining? No offence but 30m per 3.33 days is laughable (same as 90m per 4 days). It also requires very little input.

I know when I was doing level 3's in my harbinger I was clearing WAY more than that.

Allow me to explain again.

The best mission I encountered so far, netted me 980K + 980K time bonus, with 3.5mil bounty. The salvaging gave me an inventory of estimated 8mil, which turned out to be closer to 5. I spent 1.5 hours doing that mission, due to the fact that I, well that was silly actually, triggered the TRIGGERS in rapid succession and due to the fact that I was being surrounded by Elite ships. I probably could have done it in an hour.

(Drake passive/active shield tank) Most skills at IV, some at V.

So that's 1.960.000 + 3.500.000 + 5.000.000 in let's assume 1 hour. That's 10.460.000 in that hour. That's the best mission I have had so far. The thing is, I had to invest a full hour of my attention to blowing up and salvaging ships, for 10.5mil.

In PI, I fly up and down once, while playing Path of Exile, with half an eye on EVE. If I lose my ship, I lose an investment of 5 mil tops (I fly an Iteron III with beta expanders which comes down to roughly 11km3, exactly enough for the launch pad) and I carry no implants. Per planet, without upgrades V, I can produce 5 P3 per hour, without adding additional sub-products(P2) myself. That's simply the limit. That limit doesn't change when I go to low sec.

The only thing that increases are the resources gained from the planets. And while those resources increase, my need for a more expensive industrial increases and my risk increases while flying around that more expensive ship, carrying more resources, while the global risk also increases, since 0.5 is still "secure" and a suicide bomber rarely focusses his attention on a few K m3..

In other words. With my current wallet, I simply cannot afford to invest in low-sec.

Relatively speaking, as long as the limit per planet does not increase, your production is always capped by the amount of throughput on your production planets. The amount of resources is not the bottleneck. And as long as my wallet is a bottleneck, I should stay out of high-risk business. I can't take the punch, why risk getting hit by the punch.

So what IP does for me is simple. It allows me to make the same amount of money I would otherwise have to spend hours flying utterly boring missions for, while being completely free in what else I do. I can split doing PI in parts, across my day, which I can't do with missions and I actually make more money per hour.

While 30mil per 3.5 days is laughable, to you the almighty *played EVE for 8 years straight person*, for me it's 30mil for a total 1hour investment and will turn into 90, soon, for still that exact same amount of time. It's not a per-hour thing. It's simply a whenever I feel like it thing. And since I can't be arsed to run boring missions for hours or do boring mining for hours, this is the most effective way to gather ISK, which I can turn into more ISK.

@both: I (repeat mode) do not have the money to fly or replace a Raven. I fly a Drake with META 4 equipment and some TII.
    @ Emanresu: Salvaging across two accounts on two screens is basically synchronized flying. I lose no additional time.

Edit:
    In more words, The mechanic doesn't expect to be understood by the CEO of his company, but he does expect that the CEO understands he can't afford the same car.
    Last edited by Vespian; 2013-02-05 at 10:49 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    As I'm going to be picking this up with my friend can anyone recommend a beginner friendly way to make money that would suit a team?

Salvaging level 3 missions is not worth it, neither is clearing whole rooms. The best result is "blitzing" missions as in only kill the trigger ships.

But if you only want to play 10 - 20 min a day and make some passive income through PI I guess we play for different reasons.

---------- Post added 2013-02-05 at 07:12 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Treeskee View Post
    As I'm going to be picking this up with my friend can anyone recommend a beginner friendly way to make money that would suit a team?
    Missions, mining (don't do this >.<), exploration, faction warfare off the top of my head.

Salvaging level 3 missions is not worth it, neither is clearing whole rooms. The best result is "blitzing" missions as in only kill the trigger ships.
    By which you purely mean LP to ISK conversion, I guess. It's not like lvl 3 missions offer that much isk or LP as a reward. Will likely be different for level 4 missions, but as long as the average salvage is 150% of the return value of the mission in total, I will probably keep salvaging. Especially when the mission isn't blitzable. (especially since I do them at the same time, like laundry -> wash it, dry it while adding another wash).

I don't play games "to play only 20 minutes", but the PvE side of EVE is utterly boring and it has been brought to my understanding, that to PvP, or any other opportunity, actually, you need money. So I'll be exploring the trading side of EVE, but with my current wallet, I will start my business in high-sec, with low profit and expand my business as my wallet grows.

It's not like I decided to be stuck here. Your feet just left the ground I have to live on. I'm not sure what your total assets amount to, but I figure you're a multi-bilionaire and that means you can't even relate anymore.

Start small, grow big.
    Last edited by Vespian; 2013-02-05 at 11:22 AM.

10+ Year Old Account

But if you only want to play 10 - 20 min a day and make some passive income through PI I guess we play for different reasons.

---------- Post added 2013-02-05 at 07:12 PM ----------

Missions, mining (don't do this >.<), exploration, faction warfare off the top of my head.
    Okay that's good we've always been into competitive PvP and things in almost any game we've played. Now I'm assuming exploration would be the most forgiving to new players, but if you have good insight into either of those 2 options I'm all ears!

Quote Originally Posted by Treeskee View Post
    Okay that's good we've always been into competitive PvP and things in almost any game we've played. Now I'm assuming exploration would be the most forgiving to new players, but if you have good insight into either of those 2 options I'm all ears!
    Exploration is very hit or miss. You could in two hours make enough ISK to pay for two months playtime or not even find a site (high sec exploration is very competitive). I don't really know much in EVE as I am quite new too so someone else might be able help you more. EVE New Citizen Q&A is very helpful for advice too.

If you're into PVP maybe Factional Warfare is for you. From what I understand it's PVE and PVP?

YOu all really should aim to get out into nullsec as soon as your skills allow you to. Not only is ratting in anoms like 500x better than missions but mining is more profitable and safer and exploration is more profitable.

Neither PI or missions or exploration or mining is the real way to make serious ISK in the game.
    Last edited by haxartus; 2013-02-05 at 09:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by haxartus View Post
    Neither PI or missions or exploration or mining is the real way to make serious ISK in the game.
    And such an impressive post, that even required an edit no less, doesn't come with the information as to what is the way to make money?

Best way to make isk? Scamming. Why do you think I've been flooding Jinna's inbox with PLEX requests!?

Joking aside, the fastest way to make money is market trading or properly running wormhole sites. Nothing else comes close.

Quote Originally Posted by kumduh View Post
    Best way to make isk? Scamming. Why do you think I've been flooding Jinna's inbox with PLEX requests!?

Joking aside, the fastest way to make money is market trading or properly running wormhole sites. Nothing else comes close.
    Myea, but if I'm not mistaken it requires a few friends and some pretty well equipped ships to run wormholes. Trading is something I'm slowly growing into with my alts. As I said, it seems as if many don't consider the fact that you have to start somewhere and even though corps might take you in and do you a few favours, they won't give you 2bil, pat you on the back and tell you to go invest in something.

My current PI is a means to gather money until I can do level 4 missions or at least join my corp in doing them. Eventually I will expand my alts into multipurpose trading and my main in a more pvp centered direction, with some exploration on top (got Covert Ops, so at least I got scanning/stealth down). Just..not yet

It's a bit troublesome to defend a position, when everyone just laughs and tells you they piss on your 30 mil income, because they do so much better. And of course they only read half of what you write.
    Last edited by Vespian; 2013-02-05 at 10:04 PM.

And such an impressive post, that even required an edit no less, doesn't come with the information as to what is the way to make money?
    Trading of course, I think I made it obvious.
    But don't expect me to tell you how. The people who make a lot of ISK with trading are the ones that have the information nobody else has and the ISK to take advantage of it. There is nothing more painful than to see a clear opportunity to make a couple of billion but not to have enough ISK to take it.
    Last edited by haxartus; 2013-02-05 at 11:34 PM.

@Vespian - not making fun of your income, just saying PI is one of the worst (in high sec) because of its passive nature.

If you have good drake skills nothing stopping you from joining a WH corp, exploration or FW, but each of those does require more time.

I'd also not recommend doing missions as an "end game" goal...it gets so boring and was what burned me out a couple years back. EVE is designed to be a dangerous place, take part in it!

Myea, but if I'm not mistaken it requires a few friends and some pretty well equipped ships to run wormholes.
    This is 100% true, but I wasn't making the argument that it was a low SP friendly occupation, just the one that cranks out the most isk. Also, 30 mill income/day for doing nothing isn't bad by any means. It will add up quickly and last you a while as long as you don't blow it all on something big and shiny. Certain PI products are selling REALLY well right now.

@Vespian - not making fun of your income, just saying PI is one of the worst (in high sec) because of its passive nature.

If you have good drake skills nothing stopping you from joining a WH corp, exploration or FW, but each of those does require more time.

I'd also not recommend doing missions as an "end game" goal...it gets so boring and was what burned me out a couple years back. EVE is designed to be a dangerous place, take part in it!
    Well, I'm close to doing active PI actually, but that requires a few more production facilities. That said, In the weekend I can fly missions and do my PI "somewhere inbetween" so I make a double profit :P
    Last edited by Vespian; 2013-02-06 at 06:34 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by kumduh View Post
    Why you dirty little...!

10+ Year Old Account
    Might move from TRIBE to TEST, my current corp is dead when I'm on and I've found a good corp in TEST.

10+ Year Old Account
    im about to come back for a month. where is the cheapest plex in hisec right now ?