15+ Year Old Account

[Books] H. P. Lovecraft - Cthulu!

Hi,

Quick question: I brought the iBook collection of Lovecraft books in 1 volume, figuring I've heard so much about it I'll give it a read...

Is there a particular order to read them in? Or are they all separate stories entirely?

Cheers!

Deleted
    There's no harm in reading them in any old order as they're pretty much all self-contained and only a few Lovecraft stories inhabit the same lore universe (the main one being the Cthulhu and elder gods mythos). If you want to jump straight into the Cthulhu side of things the biggest and most recognised Cthulhu story is 'The Call of Cthulhu'. After that he's expound upon and alluded to iiin...'The Dunwich Horror' and the 'Whisperer in the Darkness'. Oh, and 'At the Mountains of Madness'.

15+ Year Old Account
    The mountains of madness is the first book in there and call of C'thulu the second, call of C'thulu seemed the obvious choice but I wasn't sure if I needed to read mountains first...

Ty for the quick reply ^_^

I really recommend "Herbert West, Reanimator", it's flippin awesome. Also, "The Nameless City" is creepy as hell.
    My Gaming Setup | WoW Paladin (retired)

"This is not a dress. This is a sacred robe of the ancient psychedelic monks."

Deleted
    I really recommend "Herbert West, Reanimator", it's flippin awesome. Also, "The Nameless City" is creepy as hell.
    Hear hear! Can you remember the name of the story of the underground 'apes' terrorising the grounds of an old Manor? That was a good one. Also, props for the Angela Gossow avatar o/

Ty for the quick reply ^_^
    No worries! Lovecraft's awesome, enjoy him. (Preferably in the dark while mildly drunk)

15+ Year Old Account
    Well I don't drink so I won't be mildly drunk, but I can do the dark =D

I don't think I could recommend a specific order... Just read them all, lest the slug-like creatures, loping forwards on malignant limbs and disfigured features resembling faces penetrate the darkness of space and take you away before you manage to finish them. Even as I type this, I can hear them coming up the stairs... it's too late! Too late!

Phnglui mglw nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah nagl fhtagn!

10+ Year Old Account
    Cosmic Horror is a funny thing. "Call of Cthulu" is all you really need.

There's really no order. The only thing I could possibly advice is to leave At the Mountains at the Madness for the end, as it kinda changes the way we see Lovecraft's horror universe.

Actually, that reminds me. I *really* recommend that anyone who's a fan of H.P. Lovecraft's work watch the film 'In The Mouth Of Madness'.

It's basically the last good thing that John Carpenter ever made, before his downard spiral into pure suck and Ghosts on Mars *cringe* and is basically the film that H.P Lovecraft never got to make, featuring themes, creatures and styles all based on his works.

The Outsider and of course Call of Cthuhlu are my favorites thus far, I have also just recently picked up Lovecraft's work.

Deleted
    My favourite story is the Dunwich Horror, but the first one i ever read was The Call of Cthulhu. I prefer the cthulhu mythos over his other stories, but they're all worth looking into imo. As for the movies someone else mentioned, there's a movie made of the dunwich horror, i watched it for like 20 minutes and i had to turn it off in terror. Not because it was so scary but because of how terribly it was done. So stick to the stories for now i'd say!

Once you're done reading Lovecraft's stuff you should give the comic book series The Fall of Cthulhu a read. They're pretty good for the most part, though there's a story here or there that's kind of boring (I'm looking at you, gray man).

Plus the flat "WHAT?!" Nyarlathotep gives when the Harlot plays her hand makes me giggle every time I think about it.

Okay so guys! I want to get into this Cthulhu Mythos business after I'm done reading A Song of Ice and Fire! So what are all the books in the Cthulhu Mythos and can I get them in a physical copy? Or do I need to get them on an ebook thingy? I'd much prefer to get them in the physical copy though!

Lovecraft invented the Cthulhu mythos, but a looooot of other people have attributed to it over the last 50 years.

Cthulhu Mythos Anthology

i wish they had done the mountains of madness movie that was going to be directed by Guillermo Del Toro and special effects by James Cameron.

Quote Originally Posted by maldias View Post
    i wish they had done the mountains of madness movie that was going to be directed by Guillermo Del Toro and special effects by James Cameron.
    I really hope it's just on stand-by... just the idea of Toro creating Lovecraftian creatures...

BOOM!. I haven't actually read anything beyond the Lovecraft short stories. If you find yourself at all interested in his works you can get the complete works on Kindle for a paltry $0.99. I find they make nice "between books" palette cleansing reading.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Giorsal View Post
    BOOM!. I haven't actually read anything beyond the Lovecraft short stories. If you find yourself at all interested in his works you can get the complete works on Kindle for a paltry $0.99. I find they make nice "between books" palette cleansing reading.
    you can get free pdf copies of all of them as well as its no longer copyrighted =p