10+ Year Old Account

Best comp for a prot warrior in pvp?

I currently run with a Ret Pally in my 2s team and we do semi-decent. We want to build a 3s team and want to know what we should roll with...the ret pally also has a DK and Druid and a Mage that he is competent with in pvp. I am maintank for my guild and my offspec is Fury for raiding so my only option is to stay Prot unless I want to respec every night(not an option) to arms. We are both fully geared on all toons and have good friends that have most specs and classes covered for us to choose from for our 3s team.

tldr, Prot warrior looking for info on best comp to run for 3s team. Rogue and Lock are the only classes we dont have access too that would be good at pvp.
    IBroughtGuns ~ Night Elf Warrior
    Specializing in Protection Services
    Dabbling in Smashing Faces
    Proudly Serving Alliance Since 2007
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/haomarush/Ibroughtguns/advanced[/URL][/url]
    Addiction Guild - http://addiction-haomarush.wowstead.com/

Deleted
    Arms is better PVE dps than fury. so respec your OS to Arms and stop being a plague to society :P

Quote Originally Posted by Tserak View Post
    Arms is better PVE dps than fury. so respec your OS to Arms and stop being a plague to society :P
    ^This.

Prot has no place in PvP outside of Flag Carrying and/or base defending.

Don't bother listening to inconsiderate jerks who irrationally believe that you playing prot in pvp because you like it is somehow going to ruin their day.

Prot is absolutely fine for pvp, as long as you're not expecting to do amazing damage with it.

It may not be the best spec compared to others but the important thing is that you're having fun playing your character the way you like.

IMO, for a 3s team with a prot warrior you should go with 2 other dps classes. The idea there is that you won't be doing tons of damage, but you will be doing some. That combined with good control on the enemy's healer or good peeling of their dps is a great way for a prot warrior to be effective, while he relies on his two other dps partners to burst down the enemy.

To you other guys, it's not like he's asking you for the best way to fight in the middle of the road in AB or something. I don't see the harm in allowing him to pursue his desire to play prot in a 3s team. What are you worried about?

Deleted
    I prefer playing Prot than arms in PvP (and PvE too). You sacrifice a lot of damage, but you have much more control and survivability, with abilities such as warbringer and shockwave which are a lot of fun. I play BGs rather than arenas, but I'd go with two other dps, while you lock down their healer and get the two dps to burn one of them down. Just don't expect to get glad with it.

Depends on what your goal is really. If all you want is some fun in the 1600-1700 bracket then 3dps should work fine. I haven't seen a glad viable prot setup in a while but thinking of past successful prot comps prot was decent with hunter + xheal ... atm shaman is arguably the best healer so you could give mm hunter / protwar / rsham a shot... should work until at least 2200 with decent players... comps i could imagine working also would be smth along the lines of prot / xheal (most likely rsham) / retpally or rogue or dk ... and MAAAAYBE ret / prot / hunter or rogue where you would go on a healer to lock him out while ret and the other dps kill a dps... gl
    Last edited by Octania; 2012-04-04 at 08:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by thundercles View Post
    Don't bother listening to inconsiderate jerks who irrationally believe that you playing prot in pvp because you like it is somehow going to ruin their day.

Prot is absolutely fine for pvp, as long as you're not expecting to do amazing damage with it.
    Prot is shit. It's a crap spec for PvP, that's all there is to it. It's not about ruining my day, it's about letting this guy know that he will not succeed.

Quote Originally Posted by thundercles View Post
    IMO, for a 3s team with a prot warrior you should go with 2 other dps classes. The idea there is that you won't be doing tons of damage, but you will be doing some. That combined with good control on the enemy's healer or good peeling of their dps is a great way for a prot warrior to be effective, while he relies on his two other dps partners to burst down the enemy.
    It just wont work. The only way it will sort of work is with a ret/dk. Even then it's incredibly easy to peel just 2 dps without dispels. He might as well go arms and do a lot of damage, the control isn't good enough to warrant prot spec. Then again, it will probably work at 1300 MMR. But if you're that low why bother asking questions.
    this game sucks

echoing what everyone else said. prot is shit for pvp. unless you are an absolutely top notch world class player, i haven't seen a successful african turtle cleave in a very very long time, prot doesn't work outside of rbgs. if you want to have fun in the 1800 bracket thats fine, but prot warrior will make for some long ass games and make you hate arena.
    warriors in general are in a shitty spot in arena right now. you have a decent amount of control but your damage/burst is lacking so much you can't really take advantage of it and even with a ret freedom spaming you you mobility is poor against casters.

and the only reason you should be fury for pve is if your raid group really needs that crit buff they bring.

otherwise for 3s your best bet would be to find a decent rogue/dk/hunter and do triple dps with the ret. other good comps for arms warriors are kitty cleave ( feral/warrior/hpally) tsg (warrior/dk/hpally) or KFC (hunter/warrior with a shaman if i'm not mistaken)
    " I need a sec, my wrists hurt from spamming slam so hard. Playing cleave vs cleave is tough stuff guys"

Deleted
    Tank specs are NOT for arena. Every single one of them sucks and people who disagree are awful.

If you REALLY want to play prot in PvP then flag carry in rateds. For arena go arms or just re-roll.

Quote Originally Posted by Dubbss View Post
    Tank specs are NOT for arena. Every single one of them sucks and people who disagree are awful.

If you REALLY want to play prot in PvP then flag carry in rateds. For arena go arms or just re-roll.
    This. Arms is also the worst dps spec in arena at the minute over all. So I would suggest rolling another toon to pvp with.

I can't imagine a single setup for prot, that won't be countered with current mainstream setups. But if i would have to choose from all possibilities, i'd go with ret-rogue-prot and hope that rogue/ret can gib a healer meanwhille you're trying to lock down his teammates with fear/shockwave/conclusive blow. Don't see prot war in any healer-x-prot combinations, you'll be ignored and even with solid peeling prot warrior have sooner or later 2dd on the other team will gib somebody in your team. So yeh, 3dd and with some luck and surprise factor you may hit 2K (if all 3 of you are amazing).

10+ Year Old Account
    Wow...you guys are terrible at this...Ill just stick to playing what I have fun with since there are only 1 or 2 ppl in here that dont want to call me shitty. Btw I just came off a ret/prot team that went to 2100 and hovered there for a while but he stopped playing so now I picked up another ret and we are getting used to each others style while looking for a 3rd player...prob going to go with a dk for the third so the ret can offheal in crisis situations. There is not a healer in the world that can get away from me for more than 2 seconds and I can usually keep most locked down for at least 18-25 seconds straight in any game barring a double heals situation. 2 charges + 2 stuns + fear + interrupt + stance dance bubble breaker makes it very worthwhile to stay prot for fun and for points. 2 good dps can peel anyone off as long as I control a healer and disarm one of the dps when available.

I am by no means saying that 2100 is awesome, nor am I saying that prot warriors are the best at pvp...I am merely saying that it is a viable class/spec to have fun with without getting laughed at in an arena.
    IBroughtGuns ~ Night Elf Warrior
    Specializing in Protection Services
    Dabbling in Smashing Faces
    Proudly Serving Alliance Since 2007
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/haomarush/Ibroughtguns/advanced[/URL][/url]
    Addiction Guild - http://addiction-haomarush.wowstead.com/

Deleted
    you haven't been above 1500 and theres a reason for it, go arms for pvp it's the best spec.

go arms if you want high end arena
    go prot if you just want to cap points but have fun

Quote Originally Posted by IBroughtGuns View Post
    Wow...you guys are terrible at this...Ill just stick to playing what I have fun with since there are only 1 or 2 ppl in here that dont want to call me shitty. Btw I just came off a ret/prot team that went to 2100 and hovered there for a while but he stopped playing so now I picked up another ret
    mate u have your armory link in your sig. On armory it sais u played 200 matches.. it also sais u never reached higher then 1500. thats only 600 rating off what u say u had..

its alright man.. dont be so harsh on yourself.. u just cant pvp well.. atleast in prot spec.

loved ur thing bout no healer can get away thingy.. they might not get away but they wont die either lol. just stick to pve is my advise4

cheers m

Quote Originally Posted by IBroughtGuns View Post
    Wow...you guys are terrible at this...Ill just stick to playing what I have fun with
    With that attitude why do you even start a thread asking for advice? And yeh your armory clearly states that you've never been above 1500 raiting and staying below 1400 after 80 games played as war/ret clearly shows you've some issues. I don't even mention that your prot spec have nothing to do with mainstream PvP prot spec. Pointless thread from a clueless person.

Deleted
    I refer to the thread http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...s-in-PVP-Guard

Taking something from DAOC / SWToR and giving tanks guard (eg you take 50% of the damage from your ally who you put guard on) or taunt reduces the damage done (for 6 secs) by the enemy unless they are attacking the tank.

This would at least make playing tanks more viable in pvp - I for one like playing a tank, I dont understand why bliz wont put the effort in to make them playable in all pvp