Steampunk Survey

Hello everyone.

My fiance is in her final year at college and is taking a Youth Cultures class. She is doing her final paper on Steampunk. This survey is for those who are part of the Steampunk movement and are familiar with it (otherwise I would give background on it). We are looking for those who go to Steampunk events (such as Dorian's Parlor in Philadelphia, Wicked Winter Renaissance Faire in NJ, etc), occasionally (or always) wear Steampunk outfits and those who are actively involved in the culture.

If you meet the qualifications above please complete this survey. She would really appreciate your help.

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/FDP687K

If you are not able to take the survey please feel free to look more into the sub-culture or ask me any questions. I would be glad to answer them and make some recommendations of novels that cover the genre well.

Deleted
    Done it. That is the most 'niche' survey I've been linked to in a long time, if not ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Baiyn View Post
    Done it. That is the most 'niche' survey I've been linked to in a long time, if not ever.
    Yeah it is a rather narrow group we are looking for. Thank you very much for your help.

She could have chosen other groups she is involved in (cosplayers, otaku, gamers, artists (they can be so weird, the reason I am marrying one ), etc). She chose the most narrow group which no one seems to have studied yet. Still will make for an interesting paper and presentation.

Deleted
    I'm sorry I can't help unfortunately but since you did mention it I was wondering if you can suggest some novels based on the Mad Scientist, Clockpunk and Neo-Victoriana/Gothic parts of it since they sound interesting please

I know a few movies relating to the genre and a few games, but alas, didn't find many books about it ever. Maybe I didn't know what to look for.

Just a question, stuff like Riese, League of extraordinary gentlemen for movies and Rise of Legends (with the da Vinci faction), Alice: Madness Returns (with the first chapter and the epilogue) qualify as Steampunk, don't they?

Ill admit I'm a bit of a steam punk, imy gaming headset is steampunk, kinda

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sealbinder View Post
    Yeah it is a rather narrow group we are looking for. Thank you very much for your help.

She could have chosen other groups she is involved in (cosplayers, otaku, gamers, artists (they can be so weird, the reason I am marrying one ), etc). She chose the most narrow group which no one seems to have studied yet. Still will make for an interesting paper and presentation.
    Happy to help and power to her. I find the evolution of sub-cultures fascinating.

Quote Originally Posted by Arnorei View Post
    I'm sorry I can't help unfortunately but since you did mention it I was wondering if you can suggest some novels based on the Mad Scientist, Clockpunk and Neo-Victoriana/Gothic parts of it since they sound interesting please

I know a few movies relating to the genre and a few games, but alas, didn't find many books about it ever. Maybe I didn't know what to look for.

Just a question, stuff like Riese, League of extraordinary gentlemen for movies and Rise of Legends (with the da Vinci faction), Alice: Madness Returns (with the first chapter and the epilogue) qualify as Steampunk, don't they?
    Those movies and that game definitely have a lot of Steampunk elements. Another good Steampunk game would be Arcanum which was released in 2001 by Sierra Games.

For those genres I would recommend reading the "Affinity Bridge" by George Martin, "The Strange Affair of Spring Healed Jack" by Mark Hodder, the series "A Ministry of Peculiar Occurrences" by Pip Ballantine and Tee Morris and only one book is out in this series but I really enjoyed it " The Society of Steam" by Andrew P Mayer. All of these fit the genres above. These authors also have other books, which I have noticed in stores, but have not been able to buy yet (money has been tight). I hope to once things become easier.

Normally I prefer a Victorian genre, but I have to say some of my favorite Steampunk novels of all time take place during the Civil War. Written by Cherie Priest, "Boneshaker" and "Dreadnought" were amazing. I have third one she did called "Ganymede" which I have not had a chance to read yet. She also has another Steampunk novel, named Clementine, but I have not been able to find in stores (I will have to order it when I can afford it). These books all take place at the same time (more of less), but are not connected stories (other then by time frame)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sealbinder View Post
    Those movies and that game definitely have a lot of Steampunk elements. Another good Steampunk game would be Arcanum which was released in 2001 by Sierra Games.

For those genres I would recommend reading the "Affinity Bridge" by George Martin, "The Strange Affair of Spring Healed Jack" by Mark Hodder, the series "A Ministry of Peculiar Occurrences" by Pip Ballantine and Tee Morris and only one book is out in this series but I really enjoyed it " The Society of Steam" by Andrew P Mayer. All of these fit the genres above. These authors also have other books, which I have noticed in stores, but have not been able to buy yet (money has been tight). I hope to once things become easier.

Normally I prefer a Victorian genre, but I have to say some of my favorite Steampunk novels of all time take place during the Civil War. Written by Cherie Priest, "Boneshaker" and "Dreadnought" were amazing. I have third one she did called "Ganymede" which I have not had a chance to read yet. She also has another Steampunk novel, named Clementine, but I have not been able to find in stores (I will have to order it when I can afford it). These books all take place at the same time (more of less), but are not connected stories (other then by time frame)
    Thank you very much for all those