Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account

Blood Kiting on Spine Heroic - Which tank?

If you had your choice, would you have a Prot Pally or Blood DK do the kiting? Also, why? What are the advantages to your choice?

Assume that they're equally geared and equally skilled.

Thanks for the help,
    Hartlin

Deleted
    I would say it depends on if you're doing 10 or 25 and what the tendon DPS is like. I'm tanking 10man Spine HC as Blood (Off-spec). During the third Tendon we have our Feral kiting the bloods due to better mobility but also because I can burst out more DPS on the Tendon.

The Prot Pally might be better as the numbers of Bloods get higher, I was starting to get demolished by the Bloods after we got around 15+, Our Feral is able to stay almost full health all the time thanks to always getting a shield up every GCD. The reasoning for Prot Pally is obviously that every hit will be mitigated by 30% flat out, instead of ony maybe every hit for half a second from a Blood Shield. Depending on your other raid members, you can have things like Stampeding Roars, Life Grips etc going on as well.

Deleted
    Honestly. if both are good players then either could do the job just fine. However, I'd send the Paladin to kite if I had to choose. A Blood DK can almost take care of himself whilst he's tanking the Amalg. Glyphed H/Wrath from both the kiting paladin at the "back end" of Spine and at the "front end" from a Ret pally as well as Priest lifegrips should help alleviate the poor mobility that paladins suffer from. Paladins also have a plethora of CDs to help them through.

Raid comp and size sort of matters as well. What are those?

I personally kite in my 10 man raid on heroic spine as a prot paladin.
    Can't have a crusade without crusader aura.

If everything else is equal about the tanks, then Prot paladins are superior to the DKs on blood kiting.

This is solely because AoE Stun + alongwith the options of GotAK / Bubble / AD make the ProtPala have a better toolkit for the job at hand.

That said, I would ALWAYS put the tank you TRUST more on this job. The tank's awareness and skill are a higher contributing factor to your victory here than the class/spec they are.

Prot paladin >>>>>>>>>>>>>> blood dk for bloods.

Quote Originally Posted by Helfarch View Post
    Honestly. if both are good players then either could do the job just fine. However, I'd send the Paladin to kite if I had to choose. A Blood DK can almost take care of himself whilst he's tanking the Amalg. Glyphed H/Wrath from both the kiting paladin at the "back end" of Spine and at the "front end" from a Ret pally as well as Priest lifegrips should help alleviate the poor mobility that paladins suffer from. Paladins also have a plethora of CDs to help them through.
    The DK has worse mobility than the paladin, though - paladin has 15% movement speed baseline if he specs into it, while DK only has when bone shield is up (which, with 20 bloods, it wont be for long) - also, no stuns from the DK.

So, as the dk is also alot stronger on the amalg, have the pally kite.

Deleted
    The paladin have much more utility for kiting than dks on spine. Freedom to walk over pits without slows, bubble to lose agro, hand of protection to lose agro, glyphed hand of salvation, holy wrath aoe stun.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by shetan View Post
    Raid comp and size sort of matters as well. What are those?

I personally kite in my 10 man raid on heroic spine as a prot paladin.
    Prot Pally
    Blood DK
    Demo Lock
    Shadow Priest
    Resto Druid
    Disc Priest
    Resto Shaman
    Sub Rogue
    Arms Warrior
    Arcane Mage

That's our comp. It's pretty reasonable IMO.

It seems like overwhelming feedback is saying Prot Pally, which I guess is me. Ought to be fun.

Appreciate the feedback thus far guys, thanks so much.

Warrior > Pally >>> Bear >>> DK

1. Warrior
    2. Paladin
    3. Druid
    4. Death Knight

Deleted
    With the 15% nerf you shouldnt need to kite the bloods on heroic mode anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Fullofshift View Post
    With the 15% nerf you shouldnt need to kite the bloods on heroic mode anymore.
    While this is correct it is still somewhat easier if you have a capable tank.
    On topic I'd go of course as well with the paladin. Wrath stun can be a pretty nice lifesaver.

We don't kite in our guild

Deleted
    Pally. He can stun them. And he has a shield.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd say paladin as well, got a AoE stun and a shield that can and has to block a lot of the hits.

we've done it with both, but pally was much easier. stun is OP

Deleted
    If you're doing 10m I wouldn't kite at all, I find it much easier to not bother with that especially with the 15% nerf. You just need to do good solid AoEing on the 2nd and 3rd rolls which isn't that hard to do once you get your timings right.

But if you do insist on kiting I would much prefer a Pally. Block tanks are better at mitigating that damage imo, Pallies have better mobility and they have a personal AoE stun.

10+ Year Old Account
    Prot pally >>>>> Blood DK for kiting any day of the week. Holy Wrath aoe stun is a life saver. Use it on either end of the spine when you make your turn and you can avoid taking lots of damage.

Deleted
    any class can do it just fine, stuns and charge/heroic leap does make it easier, but it is by no means required. Personally I wouldn't even bother kiting the bloods in 10 man at this point.