Weird Problem that has me stomped

so my cousins computer has this weird issue.
    When you turn it on it would power up then shut itself down, then a few seconds later it would power up again. It would do this either one time or two more.
    If it does it one time it has a chance of proceeding normally. However if it does two more time it will always do the next thing.

It will go to the error screen saying OVERCLOCK failed or CPU fan error.
    Either way I went in and checked bios and for some reason it would be clocked at 4.2 and ram would be clocked to a weird number. I would reset the settings so it would be at the stock settings again.

I made sure no one messed with the bios setting since no one used the computer all day. So the next day this happened again.

His setup is
    i5 2500k cpu
    ASUS P8Z68 V - LX
    1333 G.Skill 2x 4gb ram sticks
    1tb 5400 seagate hard drive
    nvidia gtx 460.

Another question. I was thinking of updating his bios seeing as I have the same specs just instead of a P8Z68 V I have the P8Z68 PRO. Slightly different Mobo but still within the same series.

What power supply is he using? I seem to recall someone else coming here with a similar problem a little while back and it was a failing power supply.

damn I forgot what I bought for him I know its not an unknown brand PSU but it was a 500watt psu.
    I thought it was the PSU since it did this before so I went and bought him a new one.
    His previous one was a 650 watt psu. still gave him this trouble

After I built my computer, I changed the bios setting to a different RAM clock speed, which caused my computer to restart until I force reset the motherboard. Maybe your RAM is not at the proper speed setting.

Going off of Marksman79's suggestion, you might want to reset the BIOS to factory settings. You might also want to run a memtest, just pick one from this list: http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolso...memorytest.htm

Field Marshal
    15+ Year Old Account
    Also check to see that his BIOS battery isn't dying. If his bios settings are changing without his asking them to, it's a possibility you might want to eliminate.

Updating the BIOS wouldn't hurt either.

I was thinking of updating the bios or resetting them

I should have also included this when I started this thread is...
    When the computer was set to standby, it would not turn back on. Everything would light up again but it would stay in a state where you hear everything start up but nothing happens. The only way to turn it off at this point was to either hold down the power button for a few seconds or unplug it.

Just I find it weird that it would overclock itself without anyone telling it to do so. There are no saved profiles in bios either.

Herald of the Titans Sephiracle's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Updating the BIOS would not be a good idea if you're having issues with system stability as it is. Reset the CMOS and try to boot up again.
    LoL: Kr1sys
    WoW:'06 - '11 '14-?' : Krisys - Blood/Frost DK | Sephiracle - Arms/Prot Warrior | Sephyx - Shadow/Disc Priest | Petergriffin - Huntard

Are the fans all working?
    Is it using the ASUS automatic overclock? I dunno if ASUS has it, but my msi has a button on the mobo itself which automatically overclocks when you boot up.
    Is everything seated right?

everything is seated correctly, asus does not have an auto overclock. All fans running fine, I will try to reset CMOS when I arrive at his house later today. I googled this problem and some people said updating their bios fixed it. Oddly enough I can't find the site I was reading it on stupid auto history erase at school.