Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kouki View Post
    I Said they had more then west and east locations for servers, and in each location servers coverd all 12 time zones.

So yes your wrong, and swtor has failed for not having split timezones for server time.

East west thats like saying there are only conservatives and liberals.
    And when you log into the server menu, it shows you the time zone those servers are assigned to, which is the server time. Swtor simply does east and west times, those are the server times. If you want to know when people will be playing on that server, just look at that time zone. I'm not wrong.

I so want to come back to ToR while MoP arrives, but when i remember the problems (ability lag, actual lag spikes, low population and no LFG, brutally OP classes and no pvp brackets, no UI customization..) it kind of stops me. Are those resolved? If they have been, im coming back.
    Please answer, im by no means trying to flame, just honestly inquiring.

Dot like there's no tomorrow.

Wow Has Divisions Each Battlegroup is one Real world Server Box, inside it are server blades Each one is a realm.
    Zangarmarsh matches my real time zone to the minute, but Area 52 is 3 hours ahead of me, they are both inside the same box.

What TOR is missing is Time zones in game time. This is how people find wow servers to play on, so when they are awake and online so too is the server.
    Do you know when your server is awake? do you know when it sleeps?
    So I looked it up, seem you are right, American servers do exist in the 5 major time zones as far as WoW goes. What you complaint is, translated to make sense, is that there is no MST and CST servers as the other time zones are covered, this simply means you have to pick the one group that closest to your time zone and start looking at recruitment adds and some other research to find a fitting server, same as Europeans have to do when it comes to their time zones with the addition of finding one that has people that speaks your language if the game isn't localized(if you don't want/can speak English ofc).

But hey, if you make a suggestion on the official forums that they should implement MST/CST specific servers they might if they start merging and what not.

Quote Originally Posted by noobadrood View Post
    I so want to come back to ToR while MoP arrives, but when i remember the problems (ability lag, actual lag spikes, low population and no LFG, brutally OP classes and no pvp brackets, no UI customization..) it kind of stops me. Are those resolved? If they have been, im coming back.
    I never had any ability lag but I understand this has been fixed. Lag spikes would be due to your connection unless the server you were on was having issues. Low population varies depending on what server and faction you are on. Server-Only LFG is being added in 1.3 iirc. There are no OP classes. Rated PvP is coming, but I'm not sure about brakets. UI CUstomization (to an extent) has been added. There are tons of videos about it.

Sounds like the author of that article is a wow fan tard

Far better ways to express your discontent than insulting someone. -Cula
    Last edited by OhpUldum; 2012-04-12 at 01:48 PM.

Pit Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    ability lag,
    Fixed long ago. There was a lingering animation bug for Republic players, but that is fixed in today's patch.

actual lag spikes,
    That's you. If you're playing on a server in your region, it's your connection or provider that's the problem. Lag spikes were never an issue.

low population
    This varies wildly by server. Play on a high pop server if it's a problem for you. There is some kind of consolidation happening, but we don't know when or exactly what form it will take. Probably after the update 1.2 dust settles.

and no LFG,
    Look for this to be fleshed out in 1.3. You can stand around in fleet if you just want a flashpoint. Otherwise most servers have their own player-made LFG channel that everyone uses. Ask around.

brutally OP classes
    Sweeping class balance just went through in today's patch. There's probably a new flavor of the month OP class, but no one knows for sure yet. You'll have to play it and see like the rest of us.

and no pvp brackets,
    Not really sure what you mean by that. There are level brackets. 1-49 play in their own bracket and everyone is auto-leveled to 49 stats for warzones. 50s play by themselves. There's no arena so... No idea what other kind of bracketing you would be looking for.

no UI customization..
    Added in today's patch.
    ^ The above should be taken with two grains of salt and a fistful of "chill the F* out".

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Don't get me wrong i don't want some automatic random cross server pug system, i want to be able to find ppl when i want to go, instead of flying from world to world spaming /general for hours. yes hours.
    Join a guild or make some friends and schedule runs together. Every day I log, I see someone advertising a guild in general.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alyssa View Post
    So I looked it up, seem you are right, American servers do exist in the 5 major time zones as far as WoW goes. What you complaint is, translated to make sense, is that there is no MST and CST servers as the other time zones are covered, this simply means you have to pick the one group that closest to your time zone and start looking at recruitment adds and some other research to find a fitting server, same as Europeans have to do when it comes to their time zones with the addition of finding one that has people that speaks your language if the game isn't localized(if you don't want/can speak English ofc).

But hey, if you make a suggestion on the official forums that they should implement MST/CST specific servers they might if they start merging and what not.
    Its too late, how was i going to find a server on day 1?

---------- Post added 2012-04-12 at 01:38 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by maky13 View Post
    Join a guild or make some friends and schedule runs together. Every day I log, I see someone advertising a guild in general.
    Hmm join a guild, but what guild what server when do they raid? none of this is handled in game.

Same as everyone else, choose one and hope for the best, either that or be patient while waiting for things to settle a little. I'm on a EA server that used to have 2-300 people in fleet with queue times that is now sub 100 for most of the day, there would have been no way to predict that on day 1, something you seem to expect.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Hmm join a guild, but what guild what server when do they raid? none of this is handled in game.
    I don`t think it`s meant to be handled in game. Pick a server that fits your playing times and language, then look for a guild on that server. They really advertise one every 30 min on fleet general chat. Guilds that raid put their times in there too.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well I left in early March so my info may be a little dated but here goes.
    1. Ability Lag: It seemed to be mostly resolved for me.
    2. Lag Spikes: I had these too but by early March I didn't get any at all on most nights. I recall a couple of comments from the devs in the tech part of the official board.
    3. Low Population & No LFG: I would suggest looking at the Server Status page when you normally play and roll new characters on a "Heavy" or "Full" server. Supposedly an LFG is coming in the next big patch so probably still a couple of months away.
    4. Brutally OP Classes & No PvP Brackets: Well they do have the 1-49 and 50 brackets now and class balancing is as always a work in progress.
    5. No UI Customization: Think TOR is getting UI Customization with 1.2.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Speak your mind without insulting other forum members, the author of the article, or the Dev team. We, as mods, shouldn't have to repeat these basic rules of life to folks so repeatedly. -Cula

Pit Lord
    15+ Year Old Account

You're being absurd.

There was a MASSIVE pre-launch guild system on the official site that handled absolutely all of your concerns and then some. Did you not participate? That's your fault.

And ALL of it is currently handled in-game by the individual guilds. This is an MMO. It's a social experience on purpose. Talk to people. Make friends. Use General chat. That's the natural way to find cool groups of people who think and play like you do. There's no guild browser for life. Use those real social skills in the game to find a guild. If you're waiting for some slick interface to do all the work for you, you're doing it wrong. You'll have to put some effort into it. And when you do, it will mean more to you in the end.

All the energy you're putting into responding to posts in this forum could be put toward finding a guild on a server with a similar schedule to yours.
    ^ The above should be taken with two grains of salt and a fistful of "chill the F* out".

Quote Originally Posted by Forsedar View Post
    Umm... WoW killed endgame back in WotLK. The majority of my guild quit right after 1.2 because of how pitiful the endgame is now. I have cleared ALL content through FL since the release of WoW, and Cata was the biggest disappointment I ever had. You only enjoy the end game now because you can *actually* complete it. I looked at your armory. This is the first time you're clearing content so you have that 'high' of enjoying this game so much. When we killed H LK I was loving the game, despite its obvious flaws. WoW endgame is in the gutter and it will only continue to go downhill seeing as they can throw any sort of shit at the playerbase and they'll accept it.
    Because DKs were around in BC right. I cleared all content in BC on my hunter up to M'uru. So Wrath baby think before you make posts I was in my final year of college during wrath and didn't raid very hard yet still so majority of the content. All these kids that only played Wrath have such little understanding about the game. HM LK is not the pinnacle of raiding like you seem to think.

Insults will not be tolerated. -Cula
    Last edited by OhpUldum; 2012-04-12 at 03:58 PM.

It's pretty easy, server time is either EST or PST, if you are CST then pick an EST server and you only an hour behind them, if you are MST pick PST and you are an hour ahead. If you are not in one of those 4 time zones then you should be used to dealing with time zone issues, but the server time is still based on the servers actual location.

The real problem here is not the time zones, it is the low populations because they initially spread the across too many servers. If they would not have done that or had a transfer/merge system in place, there would not be a problem as there would be plenty of people on the server from all time zones. Not to mention, time zones don't matter much. I am CST but prefer to play PST because I game later at night than most. So if 6-10 is peak in PST that is 8-12 my time, I typically play 10-1 my time, so I picked a PST server.

I got The Old Republic for 2 reasons.
    1 reason being that it is an MMO and a lot of my real life friends were getting it. So the promises of raids and pvp with friends was something I haven't been able to do since late Burning Crusade.

Reason 2 was for the story. I ate KoTOR 1 up. I played it all the way through a multitude of times. Probably about half a dozen. And then KoTOR 2 came out and I played it through only once. Still meaning to get back to do it again. But this game, TOR, is the successor of KOTOR, but with an MMO attached.
    It seems to me they focused a lot on the story and combat and decided that what they had for launch was sufficient enough for end game. I agree it was, except I cleared the operations in pugs and hit valor rank 60 and then quit for two months. Now 1.2 comes out with a new raid, new dungeon and a new warzone. That's enough for me to come back, even with a delay on the ranked warzones.

This MMO satisfies me. I know TOR has many years of evolution and improvement left in it. And given the sizable fanbase, I see it easily continuing on, and possibly becoming an even larger player in the MMO scene

Even if with server times, guilds raid at different times. I'm just failing to see a valid argument about your server times (mainly because there is a server time, it's just there's 2 instead of 4). On my guild, we're a west coast server. 90% of our player base in in the pacific time zone. We have guilds that start raiding anywhere between 5 and 10 normally, one guild that raids in the morning, and I think I saw a weekend afternoon guild once, but I'm not sure if they're still around. It's not like having a synched clock will say "Ok, every guild needs to start raiding right now"

---------- Post added 2012-04-12 at 10:54 AM ----------

Ok Kouki (and everyone else), going to be nice here, which may or may not get me a warning for advertising, but I'll do it anyway (please be nice Cula).

Anyway, early on some people out of the goodness of their hearts created a quiz to help match people to their ideal star wars guild. I made a post on it once, but nobody even so much as looked at it, and I was trying to generate interest. Anyway, its open for any guild officer to apply their guild so that they may draw more members, and of course any person taking the quiz it will match you to the guild that closest matched your answers. It's helped me get quite a few members, and of course the more guilds on the quiz the better it will do. Currently there are 108 guilds registered. So if your guild is recruitting, or if you are trying to find a guild that matches your times/personality, I highly recommend this quiz.

http://www.tortoolbox.com/quiz/

Hello, I am the original poster for this thread, could the moderators please lock it. It has clearly devolved into a very unconstructive mess and I don't see any posts actually discussing the original topic anymore. It was never my intention for this to become a game vs game or dev vs dev thread.

Thanks

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Thread closed as per request.