Computer Setup Opinions

Doing a $3,000 Build for a friend, just looking for some input on this setup.

Case: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...rkey=C283-7002
    CPU:i5-2550k
    MB: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...rkey=A455-3032
    RAM: Corsair Dominator GT 2133MHz (4x4GB)
    GFX: 2x http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...rkey=e145-0570
    PSU: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...srkey=c13-2517
    HDD: 1TB Western Digital Caviar Black
    SSD: Intel 510 Series 250GB
    Heatsink: Noctua NH-D14

Let me know what you think. No peripherals, basic Optical Drive, Windows 7 Home Pro 64bit

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    MB is pretty pricey and overkill, 16 gigs of RAM is overkill, I think you can get a better deal on comparable ATI vid cards that and not a fan of EVGA at all it's the one brand that has failed every card of theirs I have used. Uhm that SSD seems expensive enough also but if you got the cash to buy it sure go ahead.

10+ Year Old Account
    for the price of 2 570s you can get a 680

i would also look at getting a different PSU, with a 680, you could drop down to a 600 watt and still be safe, a 750 if you want to SLI another 680 in the future

What can you tell me about a 680? I'm also considering going down to 2x Intel 310 Series 120GB for $185 each instead of the one 510 for $567.

I should also mention that the computer is mainly for WoW, Starcraft, DotA2, and possibly Skyrim or GW2 on Ultra, as well as streaming said games.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Freezeonfire View Post
    What can you tell me about a 680? I'm also considering going down to 2x Intel 310 Series 120GB for $185 each instead of the one 510 for $567.

I should also mention that the computer is mainly for WoW, Starcraft, DotA2, and possibly Skyrim or GW2 on Ultra, as well as streaming said games.
    Well that is a massively overkill build for those games, even a single GTX570 would be far more than required to max everything out (except maybe Skyrim + high texture pack). A GTX680's power would be almost wasted.

> 16gb RAM is too much, especially @ 2133mhz. Grab a nice 8GB kit @ 1600mhz and low timings.
    > Motherboard is overkill. You can cut it down to an AsRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 (http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16813157271)
    > 240gb SSD space is a LOT. I don't know what warrants so much space unless you are installing multiple MMO's and Flight Simulators (or something) on your SSD, or using it to store data. But if you need the space then 2x120gb Intel 310 would be the best bang for the buck.

To justify a high-end rig you really need to be playing demanding titles :P
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

Fuzzeekee
    Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post
    16gb RAM is too much, especially @ 2133mhz. Grab a nice 8GB kit @ 1600mhz and low timings.
    This ^...That particular kit freezeonfire named is pretty crazy. You can still get 16GB. It's not overkill if you are doing other things than just playing one computer game. With the death of micron's CEO, DRAM prices will just go up and up...The future is uncertain, so unless it's a good deal, don't buy it. If you're worried about money just go 8GB...I personally would not go for 16GB. I would get 32GB if I was even *considering* 16GB. If you go over 12GB you might as well go the whole length. But since prices are so cheap, 8GB vs 16GB? It all comes down to the price.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzeekee View Post
    This ^...That particular kit freezeonfire named is pretty crazy. You can still get 16GB. It's not overkill if you are doing other things than just playing one computer game. With the death of micron's CEO, DRAM prices will just go up and up...The future is uncertain, so unless it's a good deal, don't buy it. If you're worried about money just go 8GB...I personally would not go for 16GB. I would get 32GB if I was even *considering* 16GB. If you go over 12GB you might as well go the whole length. But since prices are so cheap, 8GB vs 16GB? It all comes down to the price.
    even a price increase of 100% won't be too extreme for low end kits, ram is extremely cheap compared to what it used to be, 8GB is standard for gaming, 16GB is $50 more (ddr3-1600), so while it is an increased cost with no gain, its a small enough cost to justify the waste, 32GB is nice, leaving enough room for good ramdisks, but the cost difference from 16GB is quite big, for the OP's speed selection, its an increase of $350 (+$250 for ram, +$100 for OS)

For sure get a 680 instead of dual 570s. If I was paying that much money, I'd want current technology. I'd also get a 750-850w PSU so he can SLI another 680 later. 16GBs of RAM isn't going to be used by a majority of users. But it's very cheap now though so either way.

I'd personally wait for Ivy Bridge and get a Z77 motherboard as well, even though it'd be a slight bump. But if it needs to be made now, i5 2500k is great and probably drop down the MB to an Asus P8Z68-V since a Maximus IV Extreme is overkill for most people.

As for the SSD, I'd go with a Corsair Force GT 240GB which is only $295 on Amazon atm. I have one and it's been great with zero issues. Intel overcharges for their SSDs imo.
    Last edited by Danno; 2012-04-06 at 08:09 AM.

We decided to change the SSD to an Intel 520 Series 180 GB.

Fuzzeekee
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    even a price increase of 100% won't be too extreme for low end kits, ram is extremely cheap compared to what it used to be, 8GB is standard for gaming, 16GB is $50 more (ddr3-1600), so while it is an increased cost with no gain, its a small enough cost to justify the waste, 32GB is nice, leaving enough room for good ramdisks, but the cost difference from 16GB is quite big, for the OP's speed selection, its an increase of $350 (+$250 for ram, +$100 for OS)
    Please read my post. Also ramdisk = bad idea unless you have ECC memory. Not an option at all for the OP.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzeekee View Post
    But since prices are so cheap, 8GB vs 16GB? It all comes down to the price.